Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Book marks and rack cards

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Has anyone used printed bookmarks and rack cards as a marketing idea?

I have set up a nice design for the rack cards but they are quite large. The book marks are more expensive but a nice size.

Not sure what use the rack cards might be but they do look cool. Interested to hear thoughts on this plan before I shell out some dosh.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 272 comments I have used both and I gave up on the book marks. It all comes down to the unit price. A well designed business card is cheaper than a book mark and has all the necessary contact information so I recommend them instead of book marks. Rack cards again come down to unit cost. The place I use rack cards is with people who are buying one of my books so they have a full list of my works and others of higher commercial viability such as people who have an in with a book store or library. I actually did up one set of rack cards with all the information the library needs to buy in my book and have asked people who seem interested but are lacking the funds to purchase to take one and go to their library and order in the book.

As with all promotional items you want the highest distribution for the lowest cost. I gave up on book marks when a bunch of people took one folded it in half and stuck it into a pocket obviously to be recycled later.

Depending on where you live check out Vista Print they generally have good prices if you shop the specials just watch the delivery charge.

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Thanks, yes I have something waiting at Vistaprint whilst I decide if I want them.

I think I might wait, it seems a lot to buy if I am not sure what to do with them.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 272 comments Look at combining an order. For example. I have car door magnets for my car. I also do a lot of SF conventions and it was becoming a problem to put up posters so I bought car door magnets, Just my book covers as an image, that I put up on the magnetic fire doors around the hotel the con is held in. The hotel can't object because they do no potential damage to anything. I also had T shirts made up that I donate to the charity auctions that many cons have these are cheaper then the wholesale cost of my book and give more exposure to the cover. A small banner that I can post behind my table when selling at a con and Yard signs that I can mount with a bit of string from a tent. The idea is to look at how you are marketing yourself then ask which materials will increase my exposure and how can I use them then use the special deals to make it cost effective. Always go for the cheapest shipping and watch for free shipping days. Remember Promotional items as gifts.

Everybody will have different needs but these are just some things to consider.

Stephen B. Pearl Stephen B. Pearl

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Might be useful for someone but I am not the sort to go to conventions. I am a bit of a hermit really. :)
Thanks though for the advice.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) I use postcards primarily, but ordered some rack cards when Vistaprint had a special. I rather like them and may go with that format in future. I always wait until Vistaprint has a sale before ordering anything (if you're on their mailing list, you'll learn about sales pretty regularly).

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 20, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) [deleted by user; leaving this comment just as a courtesy placeholder.]

message 8: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Sharon wrote: "I use postcards primarily, but ordered some rack cards when Vistaprint had a special. I rather like them and may go with that format in future. I always wait until Vistaprint has a sale before ord..."

Yes they look nice I just have no idea when and where I would use them.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 272 comments Hi Debbie, I have my web adress on my promo materials but would love to set up a qr code on the next batch but I don't know how. If you could toss me a sight that would talk me through it I would really apreaciate it.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Alexandra wrote: "Yes they look nice I just have no idea when and where I would use them.
"

I leave them on fan tables at conventions. I tuck them inside books that I sell. I leave them on tables where I'm selling; in other words, the same places you might leave bookmarks, postcards or any other promotional materials.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Stephen wrote: "Hi Debbie, I have my web adress on my promo materials but would love to set up a qr code on the next batch but I don't know how. If you could toss me a sight that would talk me through it I would r..."

I've never done it either, but there are some sites out there that will generate a code for you. One of the first that came up for me: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

I'm going to try this on my next bunch of promo materials, I think.

message 12: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 20, 2014 11:26AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) [deleted by user; leaving this comment just as a courtesy placeholder.]

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 272 comments Thanks Sharon and Debbie.