Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Quarterly Checkpoints > Mount TBR: Final Check Point

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Wow. We're almost done with 2012 and it's time to get ready for the Final Mountaineering Checkpoint. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing buddies have done out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to at least complete the first of these two things. And if you feel particularly inspired (or generous about humoring me this holiday season, then please do both.

1. Tell us how many miles you made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you've planted your flag on the peak, then tell us and celebrate (and wave!). Even if you were especially athletic and have been sitting atop your mountain for months, please check back in and remind us quickly you sprinted up that trail. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

2. Using the titles of the books you read this year, please fill in "My Life in Books 2012":

One time at band/summer camp, I:
Weekends at my house are:
My neighbor is:
My (ex) boss is:
My ex was:
My superhero secret identity is:
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because:
I’d win a gold medal in:
I’d pay good money for:
If I were president, I would:
When I don’t have good books, I:
Loud talkers at the movies should:

And what do you get for all that hard work? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Monday, December 31. On Tuesday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). This prize is the only book given to you in 2013 that may count towards a 2013 TBR climb.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you got distracted by pretty scenery or side trails (library books, ARCs, what-have-you), I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your 2012 mountain climb went!

***Please note--comments are for Checkpoint posts only. Comments that are not Checkpoint-specific prior to the deadline expiration will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.

Comment below with your Checkpoint post.

message 2: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
One of my goals this year was to read more (and a higher percentage of my overall reads) from my own TBR mountain range--that was the starting point for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. I immediately signed myself up for Mount Everest--the highest peak on Earth--and 100 books off my own stacks. I made the peak by the beginning of December and added a few more for good measure. To see my final tally post, please go HERE.

Here is My 2012 Life in Books:

One time at band/summer camp, I: [helped with] The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

Weekends at my house are: Mysterious Incidents at Lone Rock by Rajendra Pillai

My neighbor is: The Fifth Man by Manning Coles

My boss is: Bland Beginnings by Julian Symons

My ex was: The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer

My superhero secret identity is: My Name is Legion by Roger Zelazny

You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: [there's] The Devil to Pay by Ellery Queen

I’d win a gold medal in: [running] The 39 Steps by John Buchan

I’d pay good money for: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

If I were president, I would: [use] Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen

When I don’t have good books, I: [feel like] Nothing Can Rescue Me by Elizabeth Daly [and I might resort to] Murder & Magic by Randall Garrett

Loud talkers at the movies should: [be sent] 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) At this point, I've read 119 books off of my pile. You can see my shelf here.

One time at band/summer camp (I was): Chicks Ahoy!

Weekends at my house are: Much Ado About Nothing

My neighbor is: Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World

My boss is: The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England

My ex was: Things I've Been Silent About: Memories

My superhero id: Irish Peacock and Scarlet Marquess: The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry because (I'll turn you into) : Ash

I'd win a gold medal in: Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles

I'd pay good money for: Headless Horsemen: A Tale of Chemical Colts, Subprime Sales Agents, and the Last Kentucky Derby on Steroids

If I were president I would: {demand every one live] Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales, Children, and the Culture Industry

When I don't have good books, I : [ am] The Infernals

Loud talkers at the movies should: [be given to] An Unkindness of Ravens

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:23AM) (new)

Well, I only read two of the oldest books from my TBR queue, The Blind Assassin (by Margaret Atwood ) and Alias Grace (by Margaret Atwood) but I managed to summit two peaks in 2013! I think that's all the backlist I'm going to be able to get in before the end of the year though! Next year, I'm not making a list before hand; but I am especially focusing on reading from my own shelves so hopefully I'll be able to do better in 2013, not only quantity-wise but in posting more reviews as well.

PIKE'S PEAK:
01. Julius Caesar (by William Shakespeare; performed by a full cast starring Ralph Richardson) - 2010
02. The Blackwater Lightship (by Colm Toibin) - 02/13/2010
03. Ghosts of Belfast (by Stuart Neville; narrated by Gerard Doyle) - 05/29/2010
04. Devil in a Blue Dress (by Walter Mosley; narrated by Michael Boatman) - 08/13/2010
05. The Bad Beginning (Series if Unfortunate Events #1; by Lemony Snicket) - 08/15/2010
06. The Scarlet Letter (by Nathaniel Hawthorne) - 11/21/2011
07. When She Woke (by Hillary Jordan; narrated by Heather Corrigan) - 11/22/2011
08. Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6; by Jim Butcher; narrated by James Marsters) - 11/23/2011
09. Ready Player One (by Ernest Cline; narrated by Wil Wheaton) - 11/27/2011
10. The Handmaid's Tale (eBook; by Margart Atwood) - 12/04/2011
11. George F. Kennan: An American Life (by John Lewis Gaddis) - 12/06/2011
12. Snow Falling on Cedars (by David Guterson) - 11/22/2011

MT. VANCOUVER:
13. The Blind Assassin (by Margaret Atwood ) - 09/11/2009
14. Alias Grace (by Margaret Atwood) - 02/13/2010
15. The Kitchen House (by Kathleen Grissom - 09/23/2010
16. The Year of the Hare (by Arto Paasilinna; translated by Herbert Lomas; foreward by Pico Iyer) - 01/05/2011
17. Knockemstiff (by Donald Ray Pollack) - 01/05/2011
18. The Walking Dead, Volume 4: The Heart's Desire (by Robert Kirkman et al) - 11/23/2011
19. Pest Control (by Bill Fitzhugh) - 11/26/2011
20. Countdown (by Mira Grant) - 12/22/2011
21. Empress (by Shan Sa) - 04/18/2011
22. A Christmas Carol (by Charles Dickens; adapted by Shane Salk; performed by Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulson, Neil Flynn and Robbie Rist) - 12/21/2011
23. Martin Misunderstood (by Karin Slaughter; narrated by Wayne Knight) - 06/11/2011
24. The Walking Dead, Volume #5: The Best Defense (by Robert Kirkman et al) - 11/23/2011
25. The Walking Dead, Volume #6: This Sorrowful Life (by Robert Kirkman et al) - 11/23/2011

The dates listed after the title and author are the dates I entered the title on my goodreads "to-read" list (I only enter in books I own onto the TBR list.)

Hmmm, I've tried for a bit to set up the second part of the closing; but my titles don't really work out so I'll just stick with the two summits! :-)

message 5: by ·Karen· (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) One time at band/summer camp, I: (collected) Stones from the River
Weekends at my house are: (spent) In a Strange Room
My neighbor is: Charles Dickens
My (ex) boss is: The Laird Of Abbotsford
My ex was: The Good Soldier
My superhero secret identity is: Snowdrops
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because:(I wail out the) Half Blood Blues
I’d win a gold medal in: Pigeon English
I’d pay good money for: (a long visit to) Canada
If I were president, I would: (have to start) Thinking, Fast and Slow
When I don’t have good books, I: (feel a) Sacred Hunger
Loud talkers at the movies should: (be transported to) The Weimar Republic 1919-1933

I'm still four books shy of the summit of Mount Vancouver, but there are a few days to go before the end of the year, so I might just manage one or two more, if I could only find something really really short and quick to read......... But those aren't the books that gathered dust on the TBR pile are they?
Here is the list.

Never mind. I think I did pretty well, even if I didn't manage to make half of my year's reading come off the shelf of oldies. I hit one third, and of the ones I read, some were extremely long: Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 for example, a hefty 816 pages, plus complete collections of stories by Flannery O'Connor and Eudora Welty. So, as far as pages are concerned, I may well have come closer to the half of the year's reading target.

And taking one off the shelf gave me one of the very best of the year:Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me. Brilliant book. In fact one of the best ever. So the challenge was worth it, for that, and for motivating me to get right through some of those tomes.

I got a little distracted: I gave a talk on Dickens, so had to do a lot of reading around that subject, a lot of it works that I'd read before but needed to go over again.

And I'm afraid that this challenge has not discouraged me from adding to one end of the TBR shelf at least as fast as I was chipping away at the other. Ah well.

Edited on Dec. 28th: now only three books short of the summit.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

By hook or crook, I managed to make it to the top of Pike's Peak before Jan 1, 2013. I enjoyed several buddy-reads with the group, that, unfortunately, were not books I owned. Still, the friends I made here, and the books I dusted off to read, made for a pleasant climb.

My 12 titles won't fit into Bev's scheme, so I'll give my own summary.

The Count of Monte Cristo led me on A Very Merry Chase.
A Tale of Two Cities was really about The War of the Worlds, in several ways.
I found that Venice is a dangerous place to visit; Death in Venice and Death at La Fenice, both taking place in that city.
The Building of Jalna was a book my mother read, and one I always meant to pick up. I'm glad this challenge prompted me to do so.

message 7: by Jemidar (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:17AM) (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments I planted my flag on Mt. Vancouver (25 books) back at the beginning of November but then stayed a while to enjoy the view reaching a total of 28 books read all up from Mt TBR. The bad news is that this was approx 35% of my total books read for 2012 and I had hoped the percentage would be around 50%. However, I'm still feeling pretty pleased with myself because I made my overall goal and some of the unplanned detours and little known sidetracks I took on the way up turned out to be interesting and worthwhile :-).

I'll definitely be back in 2013, and hopefully my mountaineering experience from this year will help me summit a bigger mountain next year.

Okay, now for the fun stuff...

One time at summer camp, I: went Behind the Scenes at the Museum
Weekends at my house are: A Civil Contract
My neighbor is: My Cousin Rachel
My (ex) boss is: the Mistress of Mellyn
My ex was: A Murder of Quality, even if I do say so myself!
My superhero secret identity is: Sleepyhead and my secret weapon is The Talisman Ring
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: I don't give A Shilling for Candles
I’d win a gold medal in: Breathing Lessons
I’d pay good money for: One Good Turn
If I were president, I would: ask When Will There Be Good News?
When I don’t have good books, I: contemplate The Chemistry of Death
Loud talkers at the movies should: go to the Devil's Brood

All my challenge books:

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson The King's Mother Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby by Michael K. Jones My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier Georgette Heyer Biography of a Bestseller by Jennifer Kloester Double Indemnity by James M. Cain When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4) by Georgette Heyer For the King's Favor (William Marshal, #4) by Elizabeth Chadwick A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer

The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1) by Simon Beckett Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier Devil's Brood (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3) by Sharon Kay Penman A Murder of Quality by John le Carré The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer Legacy The Acclaimed Novel of Elizabeth, England's Most Passionate Queen -- And the Three Men Who Loved Her by Susan Kay The King's Speech How One Man Saved the British Monarchy by Mark Logue Henrietta Howard King's Mistress, Queen's Servant by Tracy Borman A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens All the King's Cooks The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace by Peter Brears

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler To Defy a King (William Marshal, #5) by Elizabeth Chadwick A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier Arabella by Georgette Heyer Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1) by Mark Billingham

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 102 comments I've read 125 books off of my TBR list, you can see my list here.

One time at band/summer camp, I: A Breath of Fresh Air
Weekends at my house are: Beyond All Frontiers
My neighbor is: The Stranger from the Sea
My (ex) boss is: The Angel of Darkness
My ex was: The Glimpses of the Moon
My superhero secret identity is: Barnaby Rudge
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: This Earth of Mankind
I’d win a gold medal in: Seabiscuit
I’d pay good money for: The Invisible Mountain
If I were president, I would: Captains And The Kings
When I don’t have good books, I: The Book Of Illusions
Loud talkers at the movies should: The Towers of Silence

message 9: by Geevee (new)

Geevee I've really enjoyed the challenge and have enjoyed the buddy read A Tale of Two Cities.

I did well and had a good climb although I missed the target by a whisker - caused by having taken the wrong path so many times reading books from libraries or ones published during 2012.

What is interesting too is looking back on what I read and also the sheer variety of other people's lists.

I've struggled to do the the "My life in books" so I'll leave that to the others above whose lists are great attempts. My list is below and if anyone wants a view on any book I've written reviews for most and would be happy to answer any questions.

1. The Exploration of Mars: Searching for the Cosmic Origins of Life by Piers Bizony,
2. Streets Paved with Gold - the Story of the London City Mission by Irene Howat,
3. Joseph Goebbels Life and Death by Toby Thacker,
4. The Twilight Years (aka The Morbid Age) by Richard Overy,
5. The Black Death by Philip Ziegler,
6. The Popes: A History by John Julius Norwich,
7. Harold Larwood by Duncan Hamilton,
8. Mr Briggs' Hat: The True Story of a Victorian Railway Murder by Kate Colquhoun
9. Wildfire Loose: The Week Maine Burned by Joyce Butler
10. In the Shadow of Arnhem by Ken Tout
11. The Quiet Canadian - The Secret Service Story of Sir William Stephenson by H. Montgomery Hyde
12. Wavell: Portrait of a soldier by Bernard Fergusson
13. Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens
14. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
15. England's Dreaming: The "Sex Pistols" and Punk Rock
16: Spitfire - Portrait of a Legend by Leo McKinstry
17. All Hell Let Loose by Sir Max Hastings
18. An Onlooker in France 1917-19 by Sir William Orpen
19. Hattie: The Authorised bigography of Hattie Jacques
20. Edward II by Seymour Phillips
21. Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Rivalries That Ignited the Space Age by Matthew Brzezinski
22. To the Last Round by Andrew Salmon
23. 1938 Hitler's Gamble by Giles MacDonagh

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I've finished my climb to the top of Mnt Vancouver with 25 books. I come back for another challenge in 2013.
Happy New Year to all of you.

message 11: by Freda (new)

Freda Mans-Labianca (fredamans) I almost finished Mt. Vancouver... but sadly only read 16/25. I still aim to climb it again this year and hope to reach the peak and get back down safely again.
Thanks Bev for sending the helicopter for me in 2012!

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Freda wrote: "I almost finished Mt. Vancouver... but sadly only read 16/25. I still aim to climb it again this year and hope to reach the peak and get back down safely again.
Thanks Bev for sending the helicopte..."

No problem, Freda! You'll make it this year!

message 13: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
The Checkpoint is closed. I will be back to announce a winner before the end of today. Happy New Year everyone. See you over at the 2013 Mt. TBR!

message 14: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
And....(that was quicker than I thought)....I warmed up the Custom Random Number Generator and it has produced Number 6! Commenter number six is Jeannette! Congratulations! Let's have a round of applause for our lucky climber! Jeannette, I'll be contacting you about claiming a prize. Thanks to everyone for joining in this year!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a fun way to start the new year! The challenge was fun, especially all the buddy-reads. :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations, Jeanette!

Happy New Year!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats, Jeanette, and happy happy New Year, people!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 102 comments Congratulations Jeannette!!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Congrats Jeannette!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, everyone! It's fun to start the year out by winning a prize. :)