You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Aslı's Low Octane Alphabet

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments That's a great start, Asli! I see The Casual Vacancy on lots of lists for this challenge.

message 3: by Aslı (new)

Aslı Gürkan (aslii) I'd guess so; we must have been waiting for an excuse to read it :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - read it first as a student and loved the absurd in it. Although I do wonder if it has lost it sense of amazement now that a handheld thing containing all the knowledge in the world is less of a fantasy than it was way back then.

But - while I'd encourage anyone to read it, you'll have to check the edition for the required page count. My copy's only 158 pages - annoyingly short. But I know you can get the 4 books in the trilogy bound in a single volume, which would be sufficiently long.

message 5: by Aslı (new)

Aslı Gürkan (aslii) Thank you Helen, I should definitely check it. Actually I don't know much about the story, only that it is kinda absurd and funny. Hopefully I would like it like you did.

Thank you Judy!

message 6: by Aslı (new)

Aslı Gürkan (aslii) Started reading my first book! ^^

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments Enjoy!

message 8: by Aslı (new)

Aslı Gürkan (aslii) Thanks!

message 9: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 09, 2013 09:53PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have The Golden Compass on my tbr list, too. I have no idea what to expect since I never watch a movie before reading the book. I shall be interested in what you think about it.

The Book Theif is a magnificent book. I gave it five stars, and I am really stingy with my stars. lol

You are off to a great start! : )

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments Interesting! Are there any goodread librarians in our group? Somehow The Book Theif looks to have been added in error with an incorrect spelling. The author's name is in lower case, plus there are no details.

I gave The Book Thief 5 stars as well. It's a fabulous book.

message 11: by Aslı (new)

Aslı Gürkan (aslii) Thanks Connie! I am the same with you on The Golden Compass, I was planing on watching its movie after the book. Added it because I was curious about it.

Janice I am a librarian - changed the title :) I will look into the author name and maybe combine it with other editions. I am so curious about this book! I am looking forward to finishing Alif the Unseen and starting this book!

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments Thanks for fixing that, Asli. That's the anal part of me coming out. I like everything nice and tidy - no stray books kicking around. :)