Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Dance Party > R2: ♪ Teal We Read Again

Comments Showing 1-50 of 469 (469 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Lina (last edited Dec 24, 2012 06:50PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments TEAL WE READ AGAIN
Captain: Susan

Players:
Catherine
Susan
Damiellar
Christal
JenniferJ

message 2: by Lina (last edited Dec 20, 2012 10:44PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Team Dance Card

♪ Link to Team Spreadsheet HERE

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Woohoo! It's up! And so am I LOL. I'm not usually awake at 12:30 in the morning but I rolled over at 11:45, glanced at the clock, thought it said 1:45, then realized what it said and now I'm wide awake :)

message 4: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Soooo, it's a more decent time where I am so I figured I should be coherent and introduce myself LOL

I'm Susan. I'm from north Alabama in the USA. My Hubs works out of town and we see him about once a month. I've got 5 daughters ranging in age from 21 - 11 and I'm a certified elementary school teacher who subs in the local school system :) I love to read (naturally) and I can't wait to meet some of you that I don't already know :)

message 5: by Christal (new)

Christal | 90 comments Hi Susan! *waves*

I'm Christal and I live in Texas. I'm married but no kids. I'm on the computer quite a bit throughout the day because I work as an instructional systems designer. I freelance as a book reviewer so I am always reading. This is my first time playing so I am looking forward to it and to meeting everyone! :)

message 6: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Hi Christal!

message 7: by Dami (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments ::waves

Hi Susan & Christa

(joining in the introductions...it's what the cool kids are doing)

I'm Dami and I live in Melbourne, Australia. No partner, no kids (no pets) so no interruptions when I'm in the middle of an intriguing scene. I'm currently job hunting so have heaps of reading time (which I love catching up a fair bit at present)

This is also my first time playing

message 8: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Oh Dami, how I wish I had no interruptions when I'm reading. I'm very jealous :) What kind of job are you hunting for?

message 9: by Dami (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments I'm basically looking for Admin work (preferably involving spreadsheets... LOVE a good spreadsheet). I'd really like to be able to get consistent temp work (so I can avoid office politics)

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments woohoo!! when can we start!!! :)

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments I'm in New Jersy(ugh!) we survived Hurricanes, earhtquakes, and snowstorms galore! lol I work in an animal hosptial....:) and I am sooooo overworked! :) exhausted all the time...but naturally I love to read...and spend all my free time(so it seems) reading. I am still single(sadly) :( where are all the good men?!?!? :)

message 12: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Damiellar wrote: "I'm basically looking for Admin work (preferably involving spreadsheets... LOVE a good spreadsheet). I'd really like to be able to get consistent temp work (so I can avoid office politics)"

I've got a degree in elementary ed, but with budget cuts and small town politics, I may never get a classroom in the public school system here. I taught prek for the last 3 years and loved it, but had no benefits, got paid minimum wage and didn't work full time. It wasn't even enough to pay my student loan :( I've considered seeing about moving back to my hometown and seeing if I can get a classroom there. However, it's one of those situations where I can't just pick up and go without the certaintity that I've got a job cause of the kids and hubs.

message 13: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Hi Catherine! I didn't realize you worked in an animal hospital. We are kitty poor LOL we have *cough* seven *cough* of them. Not all of them are indoor kitties though. We also have a Bassett hound :)

As for where all the good men are? I haven't got a clue LOL

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments Lol....

Wow....seven....hehmmmmm......!!! Well..at the moment..we only have 1 itty bitty doggie...a shih tzu....but we have had many others....at one point we had 5 cats; then we had 4 cats and 1 alsatian; then we had 3 cats and the alsatian; then we had 3 cats and a mutt; then 5 cats and a mutt and a Lab/Retriever; then all of them gradually died....and just before we lost our last 2 cats...we got the Shih Tzu:)

I would have more....believe you me...if I were allowed..lol

message 15: by Dami (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Damiellar wrote: "I'm basically looking for Admin work (preferably involving spreadsheets... LOVE a good spreadsheet). I'd really like to be able to get consistent temp work (so I can avoid office..."

it really is not good at all that teaching doesn't seem to be adequately rewarded (it's happening over here as well..esp for prek too). Blergh for employment related politics of all kinds.

good permanent position vibes coming your way

message 16: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Alright, we're just waiting for Jennifer to check in. I know she will, we were on the same team last round :)

Anyone want to volunteer to be team captain? Any suggestions for team names or should we just keep Team Teal? The only thing I could think of is Teal We Read Again. Kind of a play on till we meet again :)

message 17: by Christal (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:45PM) (new)

Christal | 90 comments Ha, I like Teal We Read Again. That's a good one Susan :)

I'm going to pass on being captain since it is my first time playing. I just want to get the lay of the land for now.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments cool name....

Ha! I am not voluinteering to be captain! I just want to be a happy reader! lol:)

message 19: by Dami (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments like the name as well very cool idea (love a pun here)

(also not volunteering to be captain!)

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'll gladly be Captain, unless Jennifer wants it :)

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments ok...where did Jennifer get to?!?!?!? is she perhaps lost in a blizzard!?!? lol

message 22: by Christal (new)

Christal | 90 comments Catherine wrote: "ok...where did Jennifer get to?!?!?!? is she perhaps lost in a blizzard!?!? lol"

I know she's around bc she is on my team for another challenge that we're currently doing. Maybe she is just busy with the holidays.

message 23: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ I am so sorry ladies! I have been down with brochitus and forgot that teams were going up but I am feeling bit better and so happy to be here! This was a really fun game last round and cant wait to play with ya'll! Susan I am totally fine with you being captain sweets! You Rawk! Hope you all have an awesome Christmas! :)

Meant to intro myself for ones who I haven't played with. (Can ya tell I got medicine head) bahhh...

I am from a small town in South Carolina and married to my childhood sweety, Bobby. We have 2 dogs and a bossy cat and I always go overboard on signing up for reading challenges but I can't help myself! Outside of reading I enjoy baking, watching horror movies, and aww heck I can find enjoyment in almost anything. lol

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments hehe! you sound like me..with the cahllenges always sign up for too many...and then forget about a few! lol

message 25: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Hey Jennifer! Sorry to hear you've been sick, but glad you're feeling a little better :)

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, drat! I've had bronchitis,Jennifer, and it is NO fun! Sorry you are dealing with it over the holidays. Take care.

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Hi ladies! I hope you all had a very peaceful and merry Christmas Day today :)

message 28: by Dami (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments Hey there Jennifer, mega boos for the bronchitis. Hope you're on the upward slope of it now.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 728 comments so...Jennifer...are you all better now?!?!? need to be in top form for the game! lol can't have you falling down on the job :) unless you want us all to join you in the pub!! lol

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Is everyone ready for the first song? It should be posted in approximately 24 hours - give or take an hour or so :) in case you're a planner, the song choices have been listed in the Now Playing thread (I think that's the thread they're in...I'm on my phone lol). You can take a look at the songs and see what book you might want to read. Or, you can be like me and wait till the song is called and then make a decision :)

I hope y'all have a great day!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments In 48 hours Susan, it's only Wednesday. Eager much?

message 32: by Dami (last edited Jan 02, 2013 04:53AM) (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments she's not alone in being eager.... I'm currently brooding on possibilities....

Thanks for the heads up Susan!

message 33: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments ShoSho wrote: "In 48 hours Susan, it's only Wednesday. Eager much?"

My days are all off. LOL I haven't been right on the day since before Christmas. I won't be right again until Monday even though the girls go back to school tomorrow...that will feel like a Monday. Thanks for clarifying that. I would have been disappointed tomorrow morning LOL

message 34: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ Don't feel bad my days are all off as well. lol

Catherine I feel a good bit better if only the hubby would quit passing it back to me! GRRR

message 35: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:40AM) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Happy Friday to you! This week's song is up...

Week 1: ♬ Battlescars by Guy Sebastian feat. Lupe Fiasco (2012)

POSSIBLE LINKS
Lyrics: Click here
Video: YouTube Clip here
Shelf: Military Romance
Word: No bonus word this week.

Good luck!!

Here's a reminder of the points...

- Books must be 150 pages or more in length.
- If Goodreads doesn't have a page count, you must choose another book.

Scoring: As each player finishes their book for the week, they must rate and and give a minimum-2-sentence review saying what they liked or disliked about the book.
Shelf= 1 point - (only the shelf linked under that week's song counts for this)
Cover= 2 points - (item on the cover links to the video clip or lyrics)
Plot= 3 points - (one of the plot points links to the song)
Title= 4 points - (song title and book title have matching key words i.e. not a preposition)
Name= 5 points - (First or last name of author, artist or character matches)
Setting= 6 points - (publishing date matches release date or place matches lyrics)

message 36: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2013 03:59AM) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Week 1: ♬ Battlescars by Guy Sebastian feat. Lupe Fiasco (2012)

JenniferJ Blood WinterSong Link:Published 2012(setting)+plot+coverTotal Points 11Review here

Susan Hell on WheelsSong Link: Published in 2012(setting)+cover+shelf+plot(gun battle in book)Total Points 12Review Here

Christal Blood WinterSong Link:Published 2012(setting)+plot+coverTotal Points 11review here

Catherine The Lucky OneSong Link:shelfTotal Points: 1Review here

Damiellar Darkness HuntsSong Link:published in 2012(setting)+plotTotal points 9review here

Total Individual Points for the Week: 44

Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4) by Keri Arthur Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4) by Diana Pharaoh Francis Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4) by Diana Pharaoh Francis Hell on Wheels (Black Knights, Inc., #1) by Julie Ann Walker The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

message 37: by Dami (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:49AM) (new)

Dami (Damiellar) (damiella) | 97 comments Happy Friday!

I *love* this song (and was secretly hoping it'd be the one chosen)

So... if I'm understanding correctly, if I read a book published in 2012 it'll contribute 6 points to our team score.

So,, Darkness Hunts - Keri Arthur (400 pages - published Nov 2012) ?would work

Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4) by Keri Arthur

message 38: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments sure would! Good choice :)

message 39: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I don't think I've heard this song before LOL

message 40: by Christal (new)

Christal | 90 comments Can we get points for more than one link to the song like say setting, cover, and shelf?

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments yes, Christal, we can :)

message 42: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm either going to read Live Wire (Elite Ops, #6) by Lora Leigh or Hell on Wheels (Black Knights, Inc., #1) by Julie Ann Walker Both are on the shelf. I'm thinking Live Wire relates to the lyrics, but Hell on Wheels was published in 2012. I've got to finish the book I'm reading before I get to this so I'll decide then :)

message 43: by Christal (last edited Jan 04, 2013 05:55AM) (new)

Christal | 90 comments Thanks Susan!

I'm thinking I will read Blood Winter by Diana Pharaoh Francis (388 pages) since I was planning to start it today anyways.

It was published in 2012. The plot links to the song because it is about a huge battle that involves the main character Max, but she's also dealing with her love life and relationship with Alexander at the same time. She doesn't know how to be vulnerable and open up to him because she is scarred by the people she's already lost. The cover also has her dressed and ready for battle wearing a black t-shirt like many people in the video had on, including Lupe Fiasco.

So if all this counts, I'm getting setting (6) + plot (3) + cover (2) = 11.

Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4) by Diana Pharaoh Francis

message 44: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Christal, the cover wont count because it has to either be an actual battle, or a scar, on the cover, or another item from the lyrics (I checked and the lyrics don't mention a knife). But you'll definitely get 9 points for setting and plot.

message 45: by Christal (new)

Christal | 90 comments CaroB wrote: "Christal, the cover wont count because it has to either be an actual battle, or a scar, on the cover, or another item from the lyrics (I checked and the lyrics don't mention a knife). But you'll de..."

Oh ok CaroB, I was thinking we could link to the imagery in the video. I got the idea from another player who was going to link her cover to the red-headed woman in the video. No worries and thanks for letting me know :)

message 46: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I'll have to let her know, thanks Christal.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You know, CaroB, I really think Christal's cover looks like she is ready for battle... especially based on the synopsis of the book. ...just my two cents. ☺

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I guess I should clarify...imminently ready for battle.

message 49: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You know, CaroB, I really think Christal's cover looks like she is ready for battle... especially based on the synopsis of the book. ...just my two cents. ☺"

Oh, ok. Christal, if you haven't already started another book, then this would count for cover as well.

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, I mean...in the lyrics there is no mention of a gun...they say "rifle" and there is no mention of a knife...but they say "sharpen" ... a rock, I think.

Good, CaroB. I'm glad you counted it. Some covers have the guy or gal all decked out, ready for battle...but there isn't one in the background. On Christal, there is like ash and crap floating all around and she in the pounce position with weapon in hand.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.