SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. short story car never stopped

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments I read it in highschool
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Bump

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) When were you in high school?
Was this in an anthology or a collection? Was it an assignment?

message 4: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments it was in a literature text book and I might have read it in middle school which would be 1988-1996 aproxemetly.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) It just does sound vaguely familiar, but don't think I'll remember it. I hope someone does!

message 6: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Just remembered the last lines were "Windows rolled up the air conditioner turned on and the car pulled away from the curb" it always made me think the couple's car was going to malfunction

message 7: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments bump

message 8: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments bump

message 9: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Bump

message 10: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 188 comments Hmmmm, it could be a Shirley Jackson short story? She is most famously known as the author of the short story the Lottery, but I think she has lots and lots of short stories. I read this anthology Novels and Stories of her works and I don't recall your story being there, but it sounds like something she would write.

message 11: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments not sure since I can't find synopsis of her stories

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 77 comments Kitten wrote: "not sure since I can't find synopsis of her stories"

How about "Sally" by Isaac Asimov? SF story dealing with artificially intelligent cars, originally published in 1953. That last line may not be a fit for this story, though...

message 13: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments no not sally the car in the story I am looking for had skeletons inside it saga and was not on a farm

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Kitten, are you still looking for this short story?

message 15: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Bump.

message 16: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Bump though im never gonna find it

message 17: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Zelazny's "The Devil Car" decoys itself with dead people inside but, while the ending is haunting, it doesn't match your quoted details:

http://www.lib.ru/ZELQZNY/devilcar.txt

message 18: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments nope.

message 19: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4165 comments "Road Stop" by David Mason? It can be read here: https://archive.org/stream/1963-01_IF...

message 20: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments Oh wow! Thats it! And i had given up. Thank you.

message 21: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4165 comments You're welcome. I found it on https://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...

It appears it was included in Thinking Machines and IF Worlds of Science Fiction, January 1963

message 22: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 317 comments It creeped me out as a kid.