Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Please look at this

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie | 2 comments Hey guys! This book/ series page is really weird. Can you check it out? Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

some one missed spelled Stephenie Myers name. and Twilight...

there is no A in her name.. and no A in Twilight lol..

message 3: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Feb 27, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments I fixed as much as I could. I fixed the name and combined it with The Twilight Saga. Now I'll go post it to have a superlibrarian delete it so it will merge with the most popular edition.

Thanks for pointing it out!

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie | 2 comments No problem!

message 5: by Julie (last edited Mar 08, 2009 09:42AM) (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 2 comments I think this book ADFC-Regionalkarte Stuttgart und Umgebung 1 : 75 000 has the wrong author. Lolly Winston is listed as the author, but she is an American novelist and this is a German map book. I checked her website and this is not listed as one of her books, but she is listed as the author on Amazon. Any ideas on how I can find out who is the real author? Here is the link. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53...

Thanks.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
I think we agreed that booklets of maps like that get Not a Book'd. Which is what I did.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 2 comments Thanks, Rivka, for fixing this. I was wondering what a book of maps was doing on goodreads. Is 'Not a Book'd' the same thing as deleted and is that something super librarians do (sorry for the question, I am relatively new here). Thanks!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2009 04:22PM) (new)

Questions are good. :)

Deleting items with ISBNs is mostly an exercise in futility. The next time sometimes does a related search, they'll get reexported from Amazon. So instead, we change the author for the given item to Not a Book. Any librarian can do this.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments As for what it was doing there in the first place, it probably didn't have an author listed somewhere along the line in Amazon and would up with a random name in the author slot. Often I can find the correct author (for ones like that which are books) via Google, especially if it's still in a publisher's online catalog.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Right. In this case, no author is listed by either GoogleBooks or WorldCat.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura I was just trying to correct a mistake on a book called Pastlife (Greywalker, book 5) by Kat Richardson. The info on the bullet is different from the info on the actual book page(the bullet insists on calling it Vanished, book 4.

message 12: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments rivka wrote: "I think we agreed that booklets of maps like that get Not a Book'd. Which is what I did."

But bound Atlases should be left as books, right? I have one that I was going to add, but someone has NAB'ed it.

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Apr 04, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Bound Atlases are books, yes.

Edit: You can un-NAB it.

message 14: by vicki_girl (last edited Apr 04, 2009 07:02PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments ^I figured that. I just wanted to be sure first.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lisa wrote: "Bound Atlases are books, yes."

Agreed.

Laura, it looks like it really is supposed to be book #4. The mistake is having any info from #5. I refreshed from Amazon, and that seems to have fixed it.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Oh, well there is a book 5 called Pastlife coming out, but it appears to have been removed.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I didn't remove it; someone had accidentally matched the ISBN from the paperback edition of #4 with some of the data from #5. As far as I can tell #5 does not actually have an ISBN yet, but you can certainly enter it manually.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Oh, Ok, thanks rivka

message 19: by George (new)

George (buoygod) | 9 comments When I try to correct the name of the author on this page (by removing the ", ed." after his name) I get kicked back because he is a Goodreads Author and has control over hsi own page.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I am trying to change an erroneous entry INTO a Goodreads Author's name. Small glitch. A Super probably has to fix it.

message 20: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments You can correct the book itself, then merge the author into another random author.

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Fixed it for you George.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 09, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

One of the editions of Petals of blood lists both authors, the Penguin Modern Classics edition does this.

I looked it up: Moses Isegawa wrote the introduction for this edition.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments I've encountered a situation and could use a bit of advice on how to proceed. In entering "Westviking" (Farley Mowat, ISBN 0-7710-6579-5) I find an existing entry for the same book, same publisher, different year of publication. Should I just add the cover image to the existing entry or start a new one based on a different year of publication? Thanks for your input - J.D.

message 24: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 10, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Jim wrote: "I've encountered a situation and could use a bit of advice on how to proceed. In entering "Westviking" (Farley Mowat, ISBN 0-7710-6579-5) I find an existing entry for the same book, same publisher,..."

Jim, is it the same ISBN? If so, I would change the pub year to the one in your hand and upload the cover image. (Please also add a book description or any other info you can.)
Often, dates and other info from Amazon are just flat-out wrong, so you should correct them.
However, if this ISBN had downloaded with an image different from the one you have, it would be more likely that they are two different editions. Or if it is a different ISBN, it is a different edition. For those cases, there is a different process to follow.

But in this case, for this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...
I would go ahead and make all the corrections/additions to this edition.

message 25: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 18 comments Please look at the Eve Duncan Series by Iris Johansen.
There are two different books labeled as #7. Both books have several editions and I am not sure how to correct this one.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments Carolyn wrote: "Jim wrote: "I've encountered a situation and could use a bit of advice on how to proceed. In entering "Westviking" (Farley Mowat, ISBN 0-7710-6579-5) I find an existing entry for the same book, sam..."

Thanks for the response, Carolyn. It is the same ISBN, so I'll proceed with changes.

message 27: by Paula (last edited Apr 10, 2009 01:48PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Iris Johansen Website has Stalemate as Eve Johnsons 7th appearance and Quicksand as her 8th appearance. And Amazon does not specify the sequence.

message 28: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 10, 2009 02:06PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments OK, looks like this author needs some work!

The numbering system on GR looks all out of whack!
This is what I see on the Fantastic Fiction website (they list in publication order):
Eve Duncan
The Face of Deception (1998)
The Killing Game (1999)
Body of Lies (2002)
Blind Alley (2004)
Countdown (2005)
Stalemate (2006)
Quicksand (2008)
Blood Game (2009)

I don't read this author much, so if it's different, please let me know.
Paula, the website counting 'appearances' of the character are probably adding in novellas that were possibly published in other books...we don't count those in the series order, unless we get into decimals (.5 for the novella she first appeared in)

EDITED to add: just cross-checked quick, and it appears that Eve was a secondary character in the book The Search, but this is listed as a standalone book, not in the Eve sequence...so, I'd lean towards keeping the publication order of the FF site...bye!

I have to go offline for the weekend (travel for the holiday) - is anyone else able to pick this up?
Otherwise I'll revisit this on Monday (or someone please send me a PM = )

Happy Spring!

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 18 comments With the exception of Blood Game Stop You Are Killing Me's list is the same as above. With so many editions of the two books in question I do not feel comfortable with making the correction on this one.

message 30: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 14, 2009 07:24AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Please don't make any changes to them yet.
We're discussing this on another thread, here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Please weigh in on that thread with your opinion. = )
Thanks!

message 31: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Fictiondb lists the series as:

1 The Face of Deception
2 The Killing Game
3 The Search
4 Body of Lies
5 No One to Trust
6 Dead Aim
7 Fatal Tide
8 Blind Alley
9 Countdown
10 Killer Dreams
11 Stalemate
12 Quicksand

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I have found Fantastic Fiction to be occasionally unreliable re: publication dates.

message 33: by Rui (new)

Rui (RuI2009) | 18 comments Hi! I have noticed that the series called "Sociology for a New Century" is listed in GR as "Sociology for a New Century Series." Which is redundant, doesn't use the series functionality of GR properly, and no where on my book does it have the world "series" in the series title, anyhow.
I was going to go edit all the books' titles. But there's quite a few of them. Is there a super that has the ability to do them all at once, somehow? (change the series title, I mean).
I did a search for the series and ended up with this (for a sense of my inability to do them all one by one). http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

Thanks in advance for any answer I get. XP

message 34: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There is no way to do all of them at once, but yes please do edit out the redundant word "series". Search links like that don't work as links. But when I do the search I get 24 results, at least a couple of which are not actually involved. So the edits shouldn't take you too long.

Have fun. ;)

message 35: by Rui (new)

Rui (RuI2009) | 18 comments rivka wrote: "There is no way to do all of them at once, but yes please do edit out the redundant word "series". Search links like that don't work as links. But when I do the search I get 24 results, at least a ..."

Lol, alright, good to know about the link not linking and the must-do-manually. I'll weed'em out myself. Hopefully there is a way to edit series titles soon. ^_^ (a suggestion to GR?)
Thanks, Rikva!

message 36: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Series objects are a to-do item.

message 37: by Rui (new)

Rui (RuI2009) | 18 comments rivka wrote: "Series objects are a to-do item."

mmm? I'm not quite sure what you mean...?
And, I've fixed the series title.
Out of curiosity, how come when it contained "series" in the series name brackets, the entire series name showed up with the title (ie. "This and this (Sociology for a New Century Series)") when listing search results, but now the title doesn't show the series name at all in the search results (now it's just "This and this"), but will show, as usual, in the actual indiv. book page...? To my knowledge, the series name should show next to the titles when being listed even as search results, no?

message 38: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Series objects are on the list of things on the to-do list by the GoodReads staff. How high, I don't know.

message 39: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments MissJessie wrote: "Series objects are on the list of things on the to-do list by the GoodReads staff. How high, I don't know."

MICHAEL was asking for requests on requirements, so it looks like they're making a start on it.

message 40: by Rui (new)

Rui (RuI2009) | 18 comments Oh, I was wondering what "series objects" meant (sorry, wasn't specific enough) -- at the moment I'm assuming it's "things about the series function". In any case, I think it will be taken care of in time, since it's being worked on (yay!).
Thanks for the followup to my initial inquiry, and everything else!
I would still like to ask, however: when other people do a search for either book title (ie "Crime and Disrepute") or series name (ie "Sociology for a New Century"), does it also not show the series name next to the book titles, or is it just me? Because I know it's supposed to show up....

message 41: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's not showing up, which I think might be a caching issue. If so, it will start showing up in a few days or so.

message 42: by Rui (new)

Rui (RuI2009) | 18 comments I see I see, thanks! I was worried that my detail-paranoia might've ended up making a bigger problem. XP

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 109 comments Hi, I've got a problem with the Australian book Incredible Ink by Fiona McGregor.

When I tried to add the Australian edition there was already an edition there: it had a different number of pages and was called Incredible Ink, A Novel, but it was the same author and the same bookcover (except for the title difference). It also had the same ISBNs, which it shouldn't have had.

The only way I could think to fix this was to remove its 13 digit ISBN and then I was able to add the Australian edition with the right number of pages so that the percentage read showed up correctly on the progress bar.

All was well, I thought, and someone else could add the correct 13 digit ISBN to the other edition at some time.

However when I finished the book, (which I received direct from the publisher as a Goodreads review book) and rated it and wrote a review, I found that these didn't show up if I did a search for Indelible Ink. The search brings up the other edition, and it looks as if no one has read it. You have to click on the other edition on the RHS panel - the one that I added and then you can see my rating and the review.

I've added heaps of books and other editions because there are lots of Oz books, especially from small publishers, that aren't catalogued for us downunder, but this is the first time I've had this problem.

I must have mucked something up, I'm sorry. Can you please fix it?

Lisa Hill, Melbourne Australia

message 44: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sometimes books are released in multiple countries with a single ISBN. Regardless, please NEVER remove a valid ISBN unless you are absolutely certain it is incorrect. I restored the ISBN, and made your edition an alternate cover edition.

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Jul 02, 2010 07:50PM) (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 109 comments Ok, thanks. Sorry *rueful smile*
But the review and rating still aren't showing up on this http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83... whereas they (and all the conversations) are showing up on this http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...
Also, the number of pages needs to be sorted out. The edition I have in my hand has 452 pages, not 352 as on the other one. Either the other edition has the wrong number of pages, or they are a different edition?
Lisa

message 46: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The 352 came from Amazon, which frequently has incorrect page numbers; I've fixed it.

Make sure you have all editions selected in the review area -- with that setting selected, I see the same 37 reviews on both editions.

There is nothing in either edition's "discussion" area.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 109 comments Can you see one by me, with 2 people 'liking it'? It begins "Women have been reinventing themselves in the novel ever since Elizabeth Bennett but Marie King in Indelible Ink is something else again."
Because I can only see it when I select my own edition. (I've selected 'all') I can't see my rating either...
Can I send you a print screen using Google Pics to show you what I see on the two different editions?

message 48: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments It takes time for the caches to catch up on reviews. Your reviews are visible to yourself and your friends before they're visible to all of GR's.

message 49: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ah, that's probably it. Book pages are heavily cached, as Rebecca says. IIRC, it can take as much as a week for the cache to update for a book page.

message 50: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments As a matter of curiosity Rivka, why?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crescendo (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Deborah J. Ledford (other topics)