Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Regional & Other Challenges > Create Your Own Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10708 comments Have a challenge in mind for yourself? Feel free to post it here and tell us all about it!

message 2: by dely (last edited Dec 26, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

dely | 368 comments I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.
In memory of her (and because I really really love cats) I want to read as many books (with or about cats) as possible.

dely's cat challenge
(dec. 2012 - dec. 2013)

1) The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr by E.T.A. Hoffmann
2) James Herriot's Cat Stories by James Herriot
3) Racconti che fanno le fusa by Julia Deuley
4) Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic by Bill Richardson
5) Bébert, il gatto di Louis-Ferdinand Céline by Frédéric Vitoux
6) Una grande macchia a forma di cuore. I gatti contano con il naso by Laura Sergi
7) Il libro dei gatti tuttofare by T.S. Eliot

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10708 comments dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.
In memory of her (and because I really really love cats) I want t..."

I am so sorry for your loss, Dely. I know how difficult it is. I lost one of my cats a few weeks ago. He was almost 15 and was the best cat I ever had. What a beautiful way to honor your cat.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie (Connie_G) | 561 comments I'm very sorry about the death of your cat. Cats can be such good friends.

I heard there is a book about a cat that helps bring out an autistic boy, giving him something to bond with and love. It sounded interesting to read. The book is A Friend Like Ben: the Cat That Came Home for Christmas. by Julia Romp. A Friend Like Ben the Cat That Came Home for Christmas.  by Julia Romp

message 5: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Thanks to both.
Connie, thanks for the book, I have added it to my wishlist!

message 6: by Jenclone (new)

Jenclone | 78 comments dely, I've never heard of that book by Hoffmann... it sounds strange and fascinating! So sorry about your cat. It's so hard to lose them when they've been with us for a long time.

message 7: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Jenclone wrote: "dely, I've never heard of that book by Hoffmann... it sounds strange and fascinating! So sorry about your cat. It's so hard to lose them when they've been with us for a long time."

Unfortunately Hoffmann isn't very famous outside Germany but his stories are worth to be read above all if we like strange and surreal situations. In his stories the reader never knows if there is some kind of magic, of supernatural or if the characters are fools who suffer of hallucinations. Poe, for example, has been influenced by him.
His most famous stories (he wrote above all short stories) are The Nutcracker become famous thanks the ballet of Tchaikovsky (and also the movie by Disney!) and The Sandman.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that your challenge is a great way to honor her.

message 9: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Tina wrote: "I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that your challenge is a great way to honor her. "

Thanks!

message 10: by Ellinor (last edited Nov 19, 2013 06:09AM) (new)

Ellinor | 643 comments I noticed that I've always read masses of books from places like the United States, England or Sweden but very few from my own country,Germany.
So my plan is to read books from all 16 different federated states (Bundesländer). I'll try to read them in one year, starting in January '13.

1. Baden-Wurttemberg: Summer in Baden-Baden by Leonid Tsypkin (read 08/07/13) AND The Duel by Heinrich von Kleist (read 19/11/13)
2. Bavaria: Winterkartoffelknödel by Rita Falk (read 03/05/13) AND Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (read 02/08/13)
3. Berlin: Er ist wieder da by Timur Vermes (read 06/01/13) AND Gebrauchsanweisung für Berlin by Jakob Hein (read 14/07/13) AND Brüder Wie Freunde by Klaus Kordon (read 22/09/13)
4. Brandenburg: Tschick by Wolfgang Herrndorf (read 28/05/13) AND Das Ungeheuer by Terézia Mora (read 01/11/13)
5. Bremen
6. Hamburg: Meine russische Schwiegermutter und andere Katastrophen by Alexandra Fröhlich (read 27/01/13)
7. Hesse: The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (read 23/07/13)
8. Lower-Saxony
9. Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: Schwüle Tage by Eduard von Keyserling (read 02/01/13)
10. North Rhine Westphalia: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Heinrich Böll (read 11/08/13) AND Svenja Hat's Erwischt. by Christian Bieniek (read 27/09/13)
11. Rhineland-Palatinate
12. Saarland
13. Saxony: Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist (read 13/11/13)
14. Saxony-Anhalt: Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane (read 01/08/13)
15. Schleswig-Holstein: Mein Urgroßvater und ich by James Krüss (read 13/01/13) AND Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann (read 12/07/13)
16. Thuringia

Completed: 11/16 (as of 13/11/13)

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Teper (shanteper) | 11 comments I am going to read a mystery from every country around the world, since I love mysteries and travel so much. The rules are, for the book to count, that it has to be written by a native author from that country. Do you have a suggestion of a good German mystery author?

message 12: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor | 643 comments Shannon wrote: "I am going to read a mystery from every country around the world, since I love mysteries and travel so much...Do you have a suggestion of a good German mystery author"

The mysteries I read are usually set in England. In Germany we don't have (at least in my opinion) so many great mystery authors.
Regional mysteries are very popular at the moment. I liked the ones I've read so far but not because of the mysteries themselves. What was enjoyable about them was the setting and the way people talk and behave. But I guess you have to be from the region to understand it and so I would not recommend them (I also don't know if they have been translated into English). If you'd like to try anyway some of the authors are Nele Neuhaus,Frank Schätzing or Volker Klüpfel.
Another mystery author who writes cozy mysteries is Ingrid Noll. The books are usually about women killing their husbands and making it look like an accident.
Two other Germany mystery writers have often been recommended to me but so far I haven't read any of their books: Jakob Arjouni and Jacques Berndorf. I have both of them on my tbr-shelf and want to read them soon.
Another author is Andrea Maria Schenkel. She has quite a unique style and her books are quickreads. But of her books I'd only recommend Tannöd, the others are not very good (don't even bother with Bunker).

A Germany speaking author I really like is Friedrich Dürrenmatt. He's from Switzerland and his novels are also set there. I highly recommend The Judge and His Hangman and The Pledge.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Teper (shanteper) | 11 comments Thank you so much! That was very helpful. It's nice to have so many options to look in to, and you've also given me a good idea where to turn when I move on to Switzerland.
I, too, usually read British mystery, but as I've embarked on my Mystery Around the World voyage, I've found it interesting to discover the different styles and patterns in mysteries from other countries, even when they are not what we traditionally expect. I look forward to exploring Germany! Thanks again for your help!

message 14: by LindaD (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:40PM) (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments DATE DIVING CHALLENGE 2013

Here's my idea: pick a period, year, or specific date and dive into books from around the world set during that time. Fiction or non-fiction, comics, autobiographies, art, music, or all of the above. Examples: 1960's, 1989, D-Day, a-bomb anniversary, 9/11/2001, 1920's, medieval, victorian, 1865, 1776, etc. YOU pick! No limits on genre or length. I'm going to try to do a period per year, but you do whatever you like. Getting the perspective from so many cultures around the same time has to open up the mind.

My choice this year is...Date Dive 1950's
(my goal is 30 books).

So many historical possibilities and the cultural and technological changes are fascinating! Can't wait to find out more about things that were happening around the world.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (1950's Kazakhstan, Asia)
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) by Ken Follett (1940'-50's Berlin, Warsaw, Moscow, Paris, Europe)
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver(1959 Congo, Africa)
Dreams of Joy by Lisa See (1957 China, Asia)
K Blows Top A Cold War Comic Interlude Starring Nikita Khrushchev, America's Most Unlikely Tourist by Peter Carlson (1959 USA, North America)
The Lilies of the Field by William Edmund Barrett (1950's USA, North America)
From the Land of the Moon by Milena Agus (1950'5 Italy, Europe)

message 15: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10708 comments LindaD wrote: "DATE DIVING CHALLENGE 2013

Here's my idea: pick a period, year, or specific date and dive into books from around the world set during that time. Fiction or non-fiction, comics, autobiographies, ar..."

That's a neat idea!

message 16: by LindaD (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:39PM) (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments Here is what I've done so far in 2013 (all books set in 1950's for some portion and are from around the world): 7/30

My choice this year is...Date Dive 1950's
(my goal is 30 books).

So many historical possibilities and the cultural and technological changes are fascinating! Can't wait to find out more about things that were happening around the world.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (1950's Kazakhstan, Asia)
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) by Ken Follett (1940'-50's Berlin, Warsaw, Moscow, Paris, Europe)
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver(1959 Congo, Africa)
Dreams of Joy by Lisa See (1957 China, Asia)
K Blows Top A Cold War Comic Interlude Starring Nikita Khrushchev, America's Most Unlikely Tourist by Peter Carlson (1959 USA, North America)
The Lilies of the Field by William Edmund Barrett (1950's USA, North America)
From the Land of the Moon by Milena Agus (1950'5 Italy, Europe)

message 17: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10708 comments dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.

Dely, I came across this book and thought of you. It is about a cat (and his owner) and their travels in France. I just love Scottish Folds.
A Cat Abroad by Peter Gethers

message 18: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Diane wrote: "dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.
In memory of her (and because I really really love c..."

Thanks, added it to my long long list! :D

message 19: by Ines (new)

Ines (Toocreatives) | 6 comments I'm thinking of a Latin America challenge. Some of my favourite authors are from there so it would be nice to explore that region. I think I might also add Central America, the Caribbean area, to make it more complete.

message 20: by Ellinor (last edited May 10, 2013 12:49AM) (new)

Ellinor | 643 comments Updated post 10

message 21: by Ellinor (new)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) I'm working up a challenge for 2014--I want to read at least 12 books from different countries. The titles must be a city in that country, and the story must take place in that city. I want to start in Ireland and work my way eastward back to the US>
I only want 12 books, so I have some room to participate in other challenges.

message 23: by Ellinor (new)

message 24: by dely (last edited Aug 15, 2013 01:06PM) (new)

dely | 368 comments Updated post 2

message 25: by Donna R (new)

Donna R (goodreadscomuser_ainsco) | 67 comments This will be where I keep a track of my quest with Anthony - (Quinn that is). This started with Zorba the Greek which was a 'classic' choice in my suburban book club. I'll read either the book from which the movie/play was adapted; or, a book featuring the character he has portrayed.

The Guns Of Navarone by Alistair MacLean The Guns Of Navarone by Alistair MacLean ★★★★ AQ as Col Andrea Stavros
Barabbas by Pär Lagerkvist Barabbas by PärLagerkvist★★★★ AQ as Barabbas

message 26: by Donna R (last edited Sep 09, 2013 08:01PM) (new)

Donna R (goodreadscomuser_ainsco) | 67 comments Add three more, five to date.
Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis ★★★ AQ as Alexis Zorba
The Magus by John Fowles The Magus John Fowles ★★★ AQ as Maurice Conchis
The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris L. West The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris L. West ★★★★ AQ as Kiril Lakota, Pope Kiril

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, have you tried A street cat named bob by james bowen, there is also The world according to bob.

message 28: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Kate wrote: "I'm sorry to hear about your cat, have you tried A street cat named bob by james bowen, there is also The world according to bob. "

I have heard about them but haven't read them yet. There are always a lot of new and interesting books that come in my way and I postpone the books I would like to read :(

message 29: by Laurel (last edited Sep 12, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 101 comments Kate wrote: "dely wrote: "I want to do a challenge with books about cats. My beloved cat has died a couple of weeks ago, she would have turned 18 in january.
In memory of her (and because I really really love c..."

Have you tried any of The Cat Who.., a whole series bybLilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Brought Down The House The Cat Who Brought Down The House by Lilian Jackson Braun. As an example? The titles all start with The Cat Who... There are a whole pile of them, all written in the cozy mystery genre.

message 30: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Laurel wrote: "Have you tried any of The Cat Who.., a whole series bybLilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Brought Down The House The Cat Who Brought Down The House. As an example? The titles all start with The Cat Who... There are a whole pile of them, all written in the cozy mystery genre. ..."

Nice! I had never heard about this series because I never read mystery/thrillers! There is also an Italian author, Giorgio Celli, who has written thrillers with cats as main characters but I have never read them for the same reason.

Thanks a lot!

message 31: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor | 643 comments There's another cozy mystery series with cats as main characters, the Mrs Murphy books by Rita Mae Brown (and Sneaky Pie Brown, her cat). Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) by Rita Mae Brown is the first book in the series.

message 32: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Ellinor wrote: "There's another cozy mystery series with cats as main characters, the Mrs Murphy books by Rita Mae Brown (and Sneaky Pie Brown, her cat). Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) by Rita Mae Brown is the first book in ..."

Thanks!

LOL, the difference between the English and the German title: Wish you were here...Schade, dass du nicht tot bist :D

message 33: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 101 comments dely wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Have you tried any of The Cat Who.., a whole series bybLilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Brought Down The House The Cat Who Brought Down The House. As an example? The titles all start..."

Also, I don't know if you are familiar with the Listopta feature on Goodreads, but if you use the Listopta feature, and type in cats, you will get a variety of lists of books, related to cats. You just select a list, scroll through and find books that you are interested in. If you dont't know how to find Listopia, post back & I'll explain it. You can choose books for your own list just by checking them as want to read, right from the list.

message 34: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Laurel wrote: "dely wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Have you tried any of The Cat Who.., a whole series bybLilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Brought Down The House The Cat Who Brought Down The House. As an example? The tit..."

True! I have never thought to use listopia lists because it is a feature I don't use a lot. Thanks for the advice :D

message 35: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 101 comments dely wrote: "Laurel wrote: "dely wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Have you tried any of The Cat Who.., a whole series bybLilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Brought Down The House The Cat Who Brought Down The House. As an e..."

You are welcome. Hope you find lots of good stuff.

message 36: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Updated #2

message 37: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Updated

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 9 comments Not so much a new challenge, but adding to one; I have decided to do (or attempt to do!) AtW in 80 books Annual Challenge as a Trekker, and to read one fiction and one non-fiction for each, the non-fiction being more of the guide book sort. This way,I can read about the basic facts of a country, and then gain a deeper, more personal account through the fiction.

To really up the challenge, it would be good to also read an autobiography for each one, but that's probably too ambitious for me! It might be very difficult, too, to find an autobiography by someone in (not necessarily from)each country.

message 39: by Sarah (last edited Oct 05, 2013 01:20AM) (new)

Sarah | 9 comments LindaD wrote: "DATE DIVING CHALLENGE 2013

Here's my idea: pick a period, year, or specific date and dive into books from around the world set during that time..."

That is such a good idea, it would be so interesting to find out through this how different countries were faring at specific times in history. Is it possible for you to add as a challenge on the main page? Or is this something a moderator has to do?

message 40: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor | 643 comments Updated Post #10

message 41: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Updated post #2

message 42: by dely (last edited Jul 18, 2014 07:36AM) (new)

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 6 comments I'd like to read a book for each country that I've been to, which is 62 right now. Does the Holy See count as a separate country? However I don't want it to only be only for the year. That would be too short of a time and not leave any space for reading tangents. I can't decide if I should allow books that I've read before I joined Goodreads. What do you think?

This is my country list:
Albania
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
China
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
England - The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany - Stones from the River
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Italy - Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town
Jordan
Kosovo
Laos
Latvia
Lichtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malaysia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montenegro
Morocco
Netherlands
Norway
Oman
Poland
Portugal
Qatar
Romania
Russia
Scotland
Serbia
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
UAE
Ukraine
USA - A. Lincoln
Vietnam
Wales

It would seem that I have a long way to go.

message 44: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments Sarah wrote: "LindaD wrote: "DATE DIVING CHALLENGE 2013

Here's my idea: pick a period, year, or specific date and dive into books from around the world set during that time..."

That is such a good idea, it wou..."

Thank you! I have been off Goodreads for about 9 months due to work stuff. I just saw your post today, but I think Diane would have to make that decision. I just go to More Challenges->Create Your Own to make any posts. So many good ideas in this topic!! I am keeping ideas for the future from the "created" challenges.

message 45: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments Kathryn wrote: "I'd like to read a book for each country that I've been to, which is 62 right now. Does the Holy See count as a separate country? However I don't want it to only be only for the year. That would..."

wow, you've been around! what a list of experiences, good luck with this challenge and any future travels!

message 46: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments Sarah wrote: "Not so much a new challenge, but adding to one; I have decided to do (or attempt to do!) AtW in 80 books Annual Challenge as a Trekker, and to read one fiction and one non-fiction for each, the non..."

Sarah,
yes! cool idea, are you logging your progress anywhere?

message 47: by Mmars (last edited Mar 30, 2014 05:35AM) (new)

Mmars | 77 comments My challenge is to see how long it takes me before I revisit somewhere in my reading. Since I just finished AbengI'll begin there. My listings will be alphabetical and I'll add them as I go.

California - L.A./San Francisco - The Infinite Plan
Jamaica -Abeng

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2014 06:33PM) (new)

Hmmm. I would love to become involved if I'm not too late. My challenge is I would love to travel through history. What I mean is to begin some of my readings (I just started last week) in the middle east.
A reading that explains its development, its culture, etc. Then move onto individual parts like Babylon, Persia, Iraq, etc. Start general, then move to detailed parts. Then I move to Rome, maybe, etc. What do you think? Am I too late? I forgot: I would call it "Historical ATW"

message 49: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Annetta wrote: "Hmmm. I would love to become involved if I'm not too late. My challenge is I would love to travel through history. What I mean is to begin some of my readings (I just started last week) in the mi..."

This is a very interesting challenge! Will you also chose a particular time in history (for ex. 19th century, 20th century...)?

I don't think you are too late but Diane will surely answer!

message 50: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10708 comments Kathryn wrote: "I'd like to read a book for each country that I've been to, which is 62 right now. Does the Holy See count as a separate country? However I don't want it to only be only for the year. That would..."

Holy See does count as a separate country. What or when you decide to count is entirely up to you. Your challenge and your rules, so anything goes.

« previous 1