Reader's Corner discussion

Books by Genre > Steampunk

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) What are the books you loved, hated or were just okay? Post any authors and titles you'd recommend based on your reading experiences. If you've created any reviews of specific titles, provide the link or write your review/comments here, whichever works for you.

message 2: by Jean (last edited Nov 16, 2012 01:39PM) (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) Jillian Stone 's novels are fun entertainment but are not character driven. You are essentially reading an action movie in book form with slick dialogue and abrupt transitions. So it does put off a lot of readers since it's really really fluffy. However, if you're looking for a fun brain eraser, her novels do the trick.

She has two series are Phaetom Black and The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard. I prefer the latter series but overall I prefer character driven novels over action driven so my interest in her novels have waned.

message 3: by Jonetta (last edited Nov 16, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) Thanks, Jean. You've given me a really clear synopsis. This is also a pretty new genre for me and one of the best I've read so far is Soulless Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger by Gail Carriger though I haven't finished the series.

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to add it. I've been curious about Soulless since I see it on my public library's ebooks list. I think you just lit the fire to get me to read this one..hehehe... I think it's a sign. :)

message 5: by Ila (new)

Ila | 5 comments I absolutely adore steampunk, and Gail Carriger is brilliant! My favourite books include The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook It's got airships and zombie infestations, some kick ass world building and brilliant characters who remind me a bit of Eve and Roarke from the In Death Series.

The Kingmakers by Clay Griffith I've only read the first book in this series and I loved it. It's good and gruesome, no sparkly vampires here but really evil ones.

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster I'm waiting to get my hands on the second novel, it's shaping up to be pretty good series.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones I love the Miyazaki film Howl's moving castle and that led me to read the book it's got witches, wizards, moving castles (of course!) and talking scare crows. It's not a traditional romance, but it's really sweet and has an HEA.
and Steam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer Pape I picked this one as a light hearted read and that's what it is and the characters are loveable.

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace Schuler | 14 comments I am new to the steampunk genre. Started with The Iron Duke, went on to Heart of Steel, and am now reading Soulless. I'm in love! A whole new genre to read! Any recommendations on what to read next?

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) You mean after you finish the series?

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) Received the following e-mail:

As a special thank you for being a lover of books, I thought you deserved to have Christmas come early this year (or Hanukkah right on time).

Attached is the ARC (advance reader copy) of my latest novel, The Wizard of OZ: A Steampunk Adventure, that will be published in January 2013 for Kindle and Trade Paperback.

I thought you might be excited to get your hands on a copy before the release date and have the opportunity to read it a month before the general public can get it.

The attached file is formatted for Kindle. If you would prefer an EPUB version (for your Nook or Sony e-reader, etc.), let me know and I will send it straight away.

Enjoy and have a happy holidays,

Steve DeWinter (writing as S.D. Stuart)

P.S. If you have any book review friends who might also want an advance copy of The Wizard of OZ: A Steampunk Adventure, tell them to send an email to writer@stevedw.com and let me know the preferred file format (Kindle or EPUB) and I will send it to them.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) Are you going to take him up on the offer?

message 10: by Jean (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) I forgot to post awhile ago that I finally read most of the Soulless series.

I haven't been able to pick up the last one for some reason though. In some ways I feel like the series is finished for me at book 4, still book 5 is on my nightstand.

I love Alexia's character as well as a lot of the supporting characters. Plenty of adventure with lots of humor.

I'm also reading the manga adaptation of it too. I really like the artwork.

Thanks for the recommendation!

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) I've got to get back to this series!

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) Jonetta wrote: "I've got to get back to this series!"

How far are you?

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) I only finished the first book, which I loved but then got sidetracked.