Start by marking “Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)

Kiss of Steel

(London Steampunk #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  10,227 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews
When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When
Mass Market Paperback, 423 pages
Published September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of Steel, please sign up.
David Yeesh. Its not even ten bucks. Buy the damn thing. Authors need to eat.
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
314 books — 917 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,029 books — 4,283 voters

More lists with this book...

·  10,227 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews

Kat Valentine
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WELL I POPPED MY STEAMPUNK CHERRY and it was fabulously delishous!!!! Bec McMaster is a fabulous storyteller. Her words flow so easy, I felt like I was physically in this victorian world. Such vivid detail from places to things to all the wonderful characters who are so lovely layered and so very interesting. Blade is a blue blood who has to drink blood so he doesn't become a full blood vampire ,he also runs the rookery and is called the devil and murder for having killed his sister during his c ...more
Jill

Six months ago, Honoria Todd, her sister and brother moved into Whitechapel to escape the Duke of Vickers, knowing the rookeries was the one place he would not dare to come. Instead Vickers placed a reward on her head. Blade is the self-styled ruler of Whitechapel and has his own reasons for thwarting Vickers. If Vickers wants Honoria so badly, then Blade is determined to hold on to Honoria all the more.

When Honoria is summoned to see Blade, he offers her 'protection'. For a price. Wan
Shawna
4 stars – Paranormal Romance/Steampunk

It’s been a while since I’ve read such an imaginative paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has penned a noteworthy debut that’s bold, inventive, engrossing, and sensual. I really enjoyed this!

McMaster has crafted an intricate, alternate London set historical with memorable, complex characters and unique elements of paranormal, steampunk, vampires, and verwulfen blended seamlessly without excessive world building to bog down the pacing or impede the romance. Th
Fathima
“But I’m ’fraid I’ll ’urt you.”
Honoria took his hand and dragged it lower. She slid it under her skirts, against the heated skin of her thigh. “That fear is why I know you won’t,” she whispered. Her other hand went to his nape and she dragged his mouth back to hers. “Make love to me, Blade. And don’t stop.”

* Le sigh * I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoyed reading this ... For the love of steampunk , this was awesome !!!

Steampunk has always been a subject of fascination for me . From
Holly
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm honestly still kind of iffy on this whole steampunk thing. Though this series oddly has more of a focus on vampires, but with a twist. Somehow in this steampunk version of the world, people with vampirism are their own special ruling upper class group, and the ability to become a vampire must be specially granted, it's against the law to turn people without approval. Once you are a vampire, you get to live for several centuries with super strength/healing/blood drinking powers, but your own ...more
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

It's a sinister city the Victorian London Bec McMaster has reinvented for us in her debut novel. A hopeless place shrouded in gloom where men and women move like resigned shadows while an oligarchy of quasi-vampire aristocrats, the Echelons, rule the country keeping queen and king like puppets on strings, and where few options are left to humans when the easiest way to survive is to become a thrall, a sort of blood-slave providing the nobles an endless flow of nourishment in exchange for protect
Alkyoni
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal Historical Romance with a Steampunk touch
Recommended to Alkyoni by: Group Read with the Dark Side (I hate you all)

His hands came up and captured her face between them. “Damn you,” he cursed. And then he took her mouth in a blistering kiss.

*sob*

I am so happy this is over that I want to weep, mentally high-five myself for finishing it, open a bottle of tequila to celebrate and then treat me to a two week vacation to Aruba.

And the funny thing is that the poor book was not THAT bad.

It was all a huge misunderstanding, I'm telling you. This book and I, we were never meant to happen. I joined the group reading u
Sh3lly
October 20, 2017: $1.88 on US Amazon

I really enjoyed this book. I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised that it was so addictive to read. This is more of a paranormal historical romance with a dash of steampunk. I love the world the author created and her take on vampires. I won't go into the plot because I'm sure many have already done that in reviews. My only semi-complaint is that about 70% through, a few of the more typical PNR things starte
Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ by: Jenn Young

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🦇 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2018 Reading Challenge for the category of: A steampunk romance 🦇

Isn't the hero supposed to be blonde? I'm sorry, but one of my pet-peeves is when the cover model bears zero resemblance to the hero and heroine as they're described in the novel. I know it's cool and smoky, and the dude is hot and all, but come on. At least try.

Moving on from Cover Aesthetics 101, KISS OF STEEL is one of
Melanie A.
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS!!
"Easy, luv. Don't stir the devil, or you'll 'ave to pay the consequences."
Soooooo, SILLY ME. For some reason, I thought this book was YA so I kept putting it off . . . and off . . . and off . . . even though so many of my GR besties LOVED it.

Well, not only was it not YA, it was just as great as my friends said it would be!! Kiss of Steel was an amazing mix of Victorian morals, dark sensuality, and gory PNR adventure. I devoured this sucker!

In an elaborate steampunk world, a r
Whitney
5 STARS!

Bec McMaster has masterfully created a sinister city in the Victorian London. It is filled to the brim with paranormal creatures and Bec's take on the steampunk genre. Her characters were so creative and flawed that I was immediately drawn into their story. Speaking of story, the plot was well-paced and so immersive. I was legit hooked on the story from the very first chapter.

Honoria was such a badass heroine. Trying to hide from her past, she finds herself taking risks to care for he
Felicia
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
OKAY Vampires and werewolves and steampunk AND victoriana? wow it's a lot mashed together in series these days. I've actually read SEVERAL series with these mashups, but I think this one did a very good job, moreso than other books I've read, to make it a believable world.

The main character is hiding from the bad aristocratic vampires in the outcast part of London ruled by the sexy outcast vampire. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen with the setup (the relationship part) but the jo
Penny
DNF

I wasn't able to get into it. I wasn't interested, so I stop reading.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
If you’re reading this, you at least trust some of my judgment when it comes to books. That being said, stop and go purchase this book. I can tell you that I absolutely fell in love with it! The worldbuilding is astounding and makes me wish I could put on a corset and dive right in. The characters are strong and vivid (and don’t forget sexy when it comes to Blade). The writing is unparalleled and upbeat and the last few chapters? Awe-fucking-some!

I don’t usually enjoy steampunk but this one has
Dawn
++Spoilers++

Skip this one and go right to book #2.

I read Book 2 first and backtracked in hopes of gleaning more insight to what I thought I was missing.. As you can see, I missed nothing and was disappointed in this book.

The characters were flat, the "steampunkiness" was minimal. The world building lacking. There was little to no descriptions of alot of the automatons, and the antagonists were too cartoonish. My God one even said "...my pretty.." All I thought was "and your little dog too!" (Wi
Dina
Wow! Where has this little gem been hiding all this time? Awesome characters, excellent story and great writing.

Note: The cover of the book has nothing to do with Blade and Honoria, but I won't hold it against the book. Publishers will be publishers, what can we do?
Somia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Very Pleased Stars

In book 1 of her steampunk world, Bec McMaster introduces us to a race of 'blood drinkers’ referred to as blue bloods, who rule Victorian England with an iron fist. Humans survive as best they can, mostly as 'servants' and/or thralls. Blue bloods need to drink blood in order to prevent themselves from becoming vicious monster like vampires, but many of the blue bloods are an elitist and manipulative lot.

Now most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district and Blade - the f
Roobie

"I am tempted to incapacitate him with the hemlock and then castrate him."

Lena paled. "I don't think that would be very wise," she said. "And the only knife we own is what I use for the cooking. You're not using that."

"I was planning on using a spoon," Honoria replied.

Melindeeloo
Please forgive me while I rave about Kiss of Steel - what a great melding of steampunk and paranormal romance. I have become enamored with steampunk romance recently, but there aren't many books in the genre where the steampunk trappings are integral to the story. Kiss of Steel is one of the rare ones where the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, there's an airship' decorating the story in order to steampunk-ize it. And I thought that the al ...more
Caz
B+ 4.5 stars Read for the October prompt of RS/PNR in the 2017 TBR Challenge.

Published in 2012, Kiss of Steel is Bec McMaster’s début novel and the first in her London Steampunk series.  Rather like Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London novels, the books in this series are set in a recognisable Victorian London, which enables the author to get right into the story without the need for extensive description, as the locations and references to things like the London Underground and the rookeries
Emma
Perfect brain candy! Loved it. Alternative history + steam punk+ sexy misunderstood bad boy+ vampires = dream team. Sign me up for the next one!
Juliette Cross
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever have those moments where you start reading a new author and the story/writing is so wonderfully spellbinding that before you're even halfway in you KNOW that this is now one of your favorite authors? Yes, that happened. I couldn't put this one down (even though I have a tight writing deadline looming myself). I woke up thinking about these characters and my mind kept wandering back to them throughout the day. That's when I knew McMaster had hooked me well and good.

Why did I fall so
-ya
I enjoyed this debut a lot. I don’t think Kiss of Steel is a steampunk novel like Brook’s Iron Seas series. It is more like a paranormal romance with a touch of steampunk elements in an alternate London. The mix of Blade’s dialect, vampire, blue blood, the Fade, and virus is very creative.

Blade:
He couldn’t read or write much. But he always knew number. Raw, dark, passionate, protective, kind, charming, and sweet. This tortured hero was quite complex and I really liked him.

Honoria:
She was loyal,
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes, a girl just needs some steamy romance in her life, even if it is of the paper (or well, audio) variety. A few days ago, I found myself in desperate need of just that – a hot, romantic steampunk read: part action, part interesting world and three parts swoon-worthy love story. With Kiss of Steel, that’s exactly what I got.

McMaster created a rather impressive world, one strong enough to be the foundation for a lengthy series, if necessary. Although steampunk is not her strong suit, the
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Honoria Todd and her younger siblings have disguised themselves and fled to Whitechapel,  the roughest and one of the most dangerous places in London, to get away from the Echelon, the people who murdered their father. Whitechapel is one of the few places where the Blue Bloods don't have complete control, instead Blade a mysterious Rogue rules over them and he seems to have taken an interest in Honoria, but can he be trusted, or will he just use them as a pawn to get the revenge he desires over ...more
Joanna Loves Reading
3.5 stars. This was a fun listen from an experienced narrator. I know Allison Larkin has fans and dissenters and mixed reviews. I tend more toward the fan side because she does a good job with timing and voices, but if you’re not used to her style, you might find her to be a wrong fit here. Her narrator voice doesn’t lend itself well to the gritty steampunk scene, since it is more lyrical and higher pitched than many other narrators.

Anyways, I digress. Back to the story. I have tried maybe two
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Really liked it, my first steampunk and it was unexpectedly juicy.
Kiss of Steel is the first installment in Bec McMaster's steampunk/paranormal series titled London Steampunk. It's been a long while since I read good steampunk so when this title was voted BOTM on one of my goodreads groups, I acted on my motivation to pick it up. This wasn't typical steampunk in my opinion. It was more centered on vampire/paranormal romance (which was pretty good), combined with some other plot fillers that didn't really keep my interest much. In the end, the story fell in the ...more
alicat ♡➹♡
4.25 stars.

Hmm, I have a new sexy book boyfriend, Blade! He's hot, protective, and badass.

This book was great. I enjoyed the setting, an AU Victorian era steampunk London where most of the elite males are all slowly transitioning vampires.

Honora is an interesting character. We meet her as an older sister struggling to keep a roof above her family's head. She is brought to meet Blade, the man who runs the Whitechapel district, since her new home is the area under his protection.

They are both in
Nancy Gideon By M...: Book 13 - Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster 91 23 Aug 15, 2017 07:01PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Anyone in Osaka, Japan? 8 122 Sep 12, 2015 03:37AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 19, 2015 04:28PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Discuss Kiss of Steel - October Alt Pick 54 248 Nov 10, 2014 02:15PM

• Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
Bec McMaster is the award-winning author of the London Steampunk series. A member of RWA, she writes sexy, dark paranormals, and adventurous steampunk romances, and grew up with her nose in a book. Following a life-long love affair with fantasy, she discovered romance novels as a 16 year-old, and hasn't looked back.

In 2012, Sourcebooks released her debut novel, Kiss of Steel, the first in the Lon

London Steampunk (5 books)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
“I am tempted to incapacitate him with the hemlock and then castrate him.”
Lena paled. “I don’t think that would be very wise,” she said. “And the only knife we own is what I use for the cooking. You’re not using that.”
“I was planning on using a spoon,” Honoria replied.”
43 likes
“You're staring."

"Can't 'elp meself, he replied. You were made to be stared at.”
26 likes