Start by marking “Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  8,308 Ratings  ·  1,047 Reviews
When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When
Mass Market Paperback, 423 pages
Published September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of Steel, please sign up.

Jill

Six months ago, Honoria Todd, her sister and brother moved into Whitechapel to escape the Duke of Vickers, knowing the rookeries was the one place he would not dare to come. Instead Vickers placed a reward on her head. Blade is the self-styled ruler of Whitechapel and has his own reasons for thwarting Vickers. If Vickers wants Honoria so badly, then Blade is determined to hold on to Honoria all the more.

When Honoria is summoned to see Blade, he offers her 'protection'. For a price. Wan
Shawna
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of paranormal and/or steampunk romance
Shelves: pnr-vampires, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, urban-fantasy, historical-romance, hero-im-gaga-over, badasses-hunks-in-leather, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, historical-romance-victorian, tattoos-piercings-body-art, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, i-read-library, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, steampunk, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, hh-deaf-mute-speech-disorder, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, wager, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, hh-warrior, 4-to-5-stars, steam-2-warm, steam-3-hot, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hero-brooding, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-rags-to-riches, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, heroine-destitute-poor, hh-pygmalion-theme, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, gothic-romance, pnr-paranormal-romance, hh-riches-to-rags, hero-black-sheep, hero-tattalizing, heroine-miss-independent, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, 2012-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-classy-lady, heroine-good-girl-nice, action-packed, violence-reader-discretion-advised, villain-uber-bad-nasty, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-alpha, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, hero-cad-rake-rogue-scoundrel, author-bec-mcmaster
4 stars – Paranormal Romance/Steampunk

It’s been a while since I’ve read such an imaginative paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has penned a noteworthy debut that’s bold, inventive, engrossing, and sensual. I really enjoyed this!

McMaster has crafted an intricate, alternate London set historical with memorable, complex characters and unique elements of paranormal, steampunk, vampires, and verwulfen blended seamlessly without excessive world building to bog down the pacing or impede the romance. Th
Fathima
“But I’m ’fraid I’ll ’urt you.”
Honoria took his hand and dragged it lower. She slid it under her skirts, against the heated skin of her thigh. “That fear is why I know you won’t,” she whispered. Her other hand went to his nape and she dragged his mouth back to hers. “Make love to me, Blade. And don’t stop.”

* Le sigh * I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoyed reading this ... For the love of steampunk , this was awesome !!!

Steampunk has always been a subject of fascination for me . From t
Alkyoni
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal Historical Romance with a Steampunk touch
Recommended to Alkyoni by: Group Read with the Dark Side (I hate you all)

His hands came up and captured her face between them. “Damn you,” he cursed. And then he took her mouth in a blistering kiss.

*sob*

I am so happy this is over that I want to weep, mentally high-five myself for finishing it, open a bottle of tequila to celebrate and then treat me to a two week vacation to Aruba.

And the funny thing is that the poor book was not THAT bad.

It was all a huge misunderstanding, I'm telling you. This book and I, we were never meant to happen. I joined the group reading un
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

It's a sinister city the Victorian London Bec McMaster has reinvented for us in her debut novel. A hopeless place shrouded in gloom where men and women move like resigned shadows while an oligarchy of quasi-vampire aristocrats, the Echelons, rule the country keeping queen and king like puppets on strings, and where few options are left to humans when the easiest way to survive is to become a thrall, a sort of blood-slave providing the nobles an endless flow of nourishment in exchange for protect
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
If you’re reading this, you at least trust some of my judgment when it comes to books. That being said, stop and go purchase this book. I can tell you that I absolutely fell in love with it! The worldbuilding is astounding and makes me wish I could put on a corset and dive right in. The characters are strong and vivid (and don’t forget sexy when it comes to Blade). The writing is unparalleled and upbeat and the last few chapters? Awe-fucking-some!

I don’t usually enjoy steampunk but this one has
Melindeeloo
Please forgive me while I rave about Kiss of Steel - what a great melding of steampunk and paranormal romance. I have become enamored with steampunk romance recently, but there aren't many books in the genre where the steampunk trappings are integral to the story. Kiss of Steel is one of the rare ones where the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, there's an airship' decorating the story in order to steampunk-ize it. And I thought that the al ...more
Felicia
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
OKAY Vampires and werewolves and steampunk AND victoriana? wow it's a lot mashed together in series these days. I've actually read SEVERAL series with these mashups, but I think this one did a very good job, moreso than other books I've read, to make it a believable world.

The main character is hiding from the bad aristocratic vampires in the outcast part of London ruled by the sexy outcast vampire. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen with the setup (the relationship part) but the jo
Dina
Wow! Where has this little gem been hiding all this time? Awesome characters, excellent story and great writing.

Note: The cover of the book has nothing to do with Blade and Honoria, but I won't hold it against the book. Publishers will be publishers, what can we do?
Kiss of Steel is the first installment in Bec McMaster's steampunk/paranormal series titled London Steampunk. It's been a long while since I read good steampunk so when this title was voted BOTM on one of my goodreads groups, I acted on my motivation to pick it up. This wasn't typical steampunk in my opinion. It was more centered on vampire/paranormal romance (which was pretty good), combined with some other plot fillers that didn't really keep my interest much. In the end, the story fell in the ...more
-Ya
I enjoyed this debut a lot. I don’t think Kiss of Steel is a steampunk novel like Brook’s Iron Seas series. It is more like a paranormal romance with a touch of steampunk elements in an alternate London. The mix of Blade’s dialect, vampire, blue blood, the Fade, and virus is very creative.

Blade:
He couldn’t read or write much. But he always knew number. Raw, dark, passionate, protective, kind, charming, and sweet. This tortured hero was quite complex and I really liked him.

Honoria:

Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, London Steampunk Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

I. Loved. This book.

Dark, and gritty, with a scrumptious blend of steampunk, vampires, sex, and danger, this book captured me from the very first par
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes, a girl just needs some steamy romance in her life, even if it is of the paper (or well, audio) variety. A few days ago, I found myself in desperate need of just that – a hot, romantic steampunk read: part action, part interesting world and three parts swoon-worthy love story. With Kiss of Steel, that’s exactly what I got.

McMaster created a rather impressive world, one strong enough to be the foundation for a lengthy series, if necessary. Although steampunk is not her strong suit, the
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Honoria Todd and her younger siblings have disguised themselves and fled to Whitechapel,  the roughest and one of the most dangerous places in London, to get away from the Echelon, the people who murdered their father. Whitechapel is one of the few places where the Blue Bloods don't have complete control, instead Blade a mysterious Rogue rules over them and he seems to have taken an interest in Honoria, but can he be trusted, or will he just use them as a pawn to get the revenge he desires over ...more
Dija
So, so disappointing. And confusing enough that I have a headache now. I skimmed through the last 50 pages or so, but I'm still marking it as read. Another cover that ended up betraying me. :/

Group read with my fellow Dark Siders.
Ian
After her father was murdered, Honoria fled from sadistic lord who wanted to possess her. With her sister and brother she has found a refuge in the rookeries of Whitechapel, an area ruled by criminal gangs. And the most dangerous gang of all is ruled by Blade. She has done her best to avoid his attention but little goes on on his turf that he doesn't know about.

With the evil duke still hunting her she reluctantly enters into a deal for Blade's protection...but what Blade doesn't realise is she
Anzu The Great Destroyer
For those of you who are thinking what the hell is wrong with her for even trying this book, let me tell you something. A group read is a group read. You have to show some solidarity. You have to stick to your friends no matter one. I managed to stick to my fellow buddy-readers for about 15% of the book. I could not take more.

The main reason why I hated Kiss of Steel is the cheese. I don’t like cheesy books, and I hate cheesy romances. And this, my friends, is a cheesy romance. (no surprise ther
Mei
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Another fantastic steampunk series!!!

Excellent characters, great plot, very interesting world-building, fantastic writing, witty dialogue, hotness over the charts... what more could I want?

Really, really excellent!

... and this is one of those times when I'm asking myself what have I waited for to start reading it!!!???
Juliette Cross
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves-rereads
Do you ever have those moments where you start reading a new author and the story/writing is so wonderfully spellbinding that before you're even halfway in you KNOW that this is now one of your favorite authors? Yes, that happened. I couldn't put this one down (even though I have a tight writing deadline looming myself). I woke up thinking about these characters and my mind kept wandering back to them throughout the day. That's when I knew McMaster had hooked me well and good.

Why did I fall so
Celestine
I never knew steampunk could be so fun! Or so gory! Or so romantic! Lots and lots of people have read and reviewed this wonderful book, so I won't put anything structured together. Here are some random impressions of this example of this weird and colorful genre:

* Honoria was proud and tough and never faltered for a second in understanding her own worth. Because of this she was able to hold out to the seduction of Blade and the treachery of Vickers and the abandonment of her father. She was a tr
Camly Nguyen
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Uhhh...Not really sure what to think about this...

Summary: Honoria randomly comes looking for a protector because there's a large bounty on her head. She finds Blade. She pays him with speaking lessons because she's broke. (By the end of the book, she didn't even give one single lesson and he still speaks improperly.Lol dafuq?) Anyways, turns out, she keeps running out of money and needs Blade to save her brother's life so she pays with sexual favors and blood (he's a blue blood so he feeds off
Susan (susayq ~)
This is definitely a 5 star read cause I finished it this morning and haven't been able to get Blade and Honoria off my mind since. I loved their romance. It wasn't too fast and there wasn't any extra added drama, just for the sake of drama. I really liked Blade. While he was a badass Blue Blood, he had this vulnerable side that came out when he was with Honoria.

The world that was created for this series was great too. While I admit to being a little confused about vampires and Blue Bloods at f
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I'm reading again... Don't act so surprised.

After reading this on a train ride to my next destination for my vacation, i decided on my rating.

≈I enjoyed the book, 7 hours by train don't pass by really fast unless you read.

Anyways.

The book was good, good story line, the romance was good enough. It just didn't get those 5 stars from me. Tho i do love some steampunk.

That's all for today, ladies
Bubu
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
As with all PNRs, it took me a while to get into the book. Plus, this was my first Steampunk novel. It's probably due to the world-building, trying to find my way around the different concepts of paranormal creatures and not much was explained in the first third of the book. Once I settled in, however, it was incredibly good.

Living in London gives me the opportunity to visit most of the places mentioned in the books I read, and it's only been 2-3 weeks ago that I explored Whitechapel. Obviously,
RavenclawReadingRoom
19/3/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this down to 3.75 stars.

Is this book utterly ridiculous? Uh, yeah. Is it far more paranormal than steampunk at this stage of the series? Definitely. Is there a liiiiiiiiiiittle too much "She said no but she meant yes" type of stuff going on from time to time? YUP.

But it's also a hell of a lot of fun. The concept is great, the characters are fun, the smut is pretty smutty. What more can you want from a brainless weekend read?!

(And on reread, I think I picked up
Iliada

My first steampunk novel and what's not to like, really? A wonderful mix of historical, paranormal and sci-fi. There's nothing missing from this book!
Penni
4-1/2 *'s Loved Blade and Honor and can't wait to read the next.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

From the very first page of Kiss of Steel I was swept away by Bec McMaster’s lovely writing style; her three dimensional characters, stunning dialogues and surreal universe are so brilliantly executed that I’m giving this book a 5+ star rating.

This is a story about vampires but McMaster does such a brilliant job of claiming them as her own that they almost felt new again. There are three different subgroups to the vamps in her lore and I really enjoyed the way that we get
Lauren
Kiss of Steel
4.5 Stars

Forced into the squalor of the East End following her father's death, Honoria Todd must swallow her pride and seek aid from the most notorious rogue in the city. Blade, aka The Devil of Whitechapel, rules the slums with a ruthless hand but finds himself unable to turn Honoria away.

Readers expecting a traditional Steampunk novel will be disappointed as these elements are quite minor and contribute very little to the overall world building, plot and characterization. Neverthe
Jaclyn
I received an advanced copy of Bec McMaster’s Kiss of Steel from NetGalley. This steampunk romance takes place in an alternate version of historical England. In this alternate London, the Echelon rule the country and the poor are relegated to Whitechapel where their ruler, Blade, takes care of justice.

The Echelon is where McMaster plays with the conventions of vampires, as these upper class citizens are what I’m going to refer to as “pre-vampires.” In this version of England, there is a disease
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
Bec McMaster is the award-winning author of the London Steampunk series. A member of RWA, she writes sexy, dark paranormals, and adventurous steampunk romances, and grew up with her nose in a book. Following a life-long love affair with fantasy, she discovered romance novels as a 16 year-old, and hasn't looked back.

In 2012, Sourcebooks released her debut novel, Kiss of Steel, the first in the Lon
More about Bec McMaster...

London Steampunk (5 books)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)

“I am tempted to incapacitate him with the hemlock and then castrate him.”
Lena paled. “I don’t think that would be very wise,” she said. “And the only knife we own is what I use for the cooking. You’re not using that.”
“I was planning on using a spoon,” Honoria replied.”
41 likes
“You're staring."

"Can't 'elp meself, he replied. You were made to be stared at.”
25 likes