Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Dystopian Books > What Book Started You Reading Dystopian Fiction?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 105) (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 06, 2012 08:27PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind What book was it that you read that broke you into reading dystopian fiction?

I think that the first one was probably The Missing Persons League

I also remember that Devil On My Back

And Rings of Ice both made big impacts on me.

message 2: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 1 comments a lot of books actually.
I'm looking for a new book to read though. /: it a little disapionting after finally finishing a series

message 3: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 115 comments The Hunger Games within a month of it coming out. Now I'm obsessed and reading old and new dystopians!

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments yup, THG for sure!! The movie was good, but as always the books are way better, and down I went through the slippery slope of dystopian novels!

message 5: by Mari (new)

Mari | 8 comments The Hunger Games, when the trailer for the movie first came out. I knew it was based off a book, one that I never looked into. It caught my attention, so I decided to read it before the movie came out. After that, I wanted to read others like it. This website definitely helped me with my reading list. :)

message 6: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 2 comments Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody I first read when I was a teenager. The book made such a big impact on me I still re-read it all the time even now 15 years later. The best part is that the series is still going and growing.

message 7: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Brindley (kurtbrindley) Alexis wrote: "a lot of books actually.
I'm looking for a new book to read though. /: it a little disapionting after finally finishing a series"

Hi Alexis. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind checking out the excerpt of the dystopian saga I'm working on and letting me know what you think of the concept. There's a comment section at the bottom of the page. You could be the first to comment. :)

http://HeroesOfDystopia.com

message 8: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Brindley (kurtbrindley) I read too many books of the comic persuasion for me to consider to determine exactly how my true dystopian start began. It would be easiest for me to point out one of my earliest fascinations - Fahrenheit 451.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Boustead (ReflectionsofaBookWorm) | 6 comments The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry I had to read it in school and ended up falling in love <3

Heather-
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.com/

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Peterson | 1 comments Lord of the Flies and Brave New World. Both totally blew my mind and introduced me to a really beautiful, although oftentimes dark genre that always makes me think and changes the way I see myself.

message 11: by Dawson (new)

Dawson Owen | 4 comments I hate to say it, but the hunger games got me started on Dystopian stories. However, my range of stories and reads have far surpassed Hunger games now lol

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnapep) As with most people, it was also The Hunger Games trilogy for me. My favorite was the last book - Mockingjay. So very dark. I love dark novels, which is probably why I love dystopian fiction so much. THG is the standard by which I now measure every other dystopian fiction book I read. So far no others have lived up to that series.

message 13: by Chiqui (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 3 comments Mari wrote: "The Hunger Games, when the trailer for the movie first came out. I knew it was based off a book, one that I never looked into. It caught my attention, so I decided to read it before the movie cam..."

Do you mean Battle Royale? I've heard so many comparisons to that, but if that's the one you're thinking of then I think Collins denied being influenced by it? Heard about it from other readers but I haven't confirmed it myself. If not then I didn't know it was influenced by another book lol! :)

Mine would be Lord of the Flies. :)

message 14: by l (new)

l The Hunger Games trilogy. They got me fascinated by the genre of Dystopian fiction!

message 15: by Mari (new)

Mari | 8 comments Chiqui, Battle Royale and Hungers Games do have the same concept. I haven't read Battle Royale, but maybe I should. Too many people compare the two. I read somewhere that she didn't know about Battle Royale and had never heard of it. I'll take her word for it. :)

message 16: by Chiqui (last edited Dec 06, 2012 05:53PM) (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 3 comments Mari wrote: "Chiqui, Battle Royale and Hungers Games do have the same concept. I haven't read Battle Royale, but maybe I should. Too many people compare the two. I read somewhere that she didn't know about B..."

I haven't read it either but I've seen both Battle Royale movies way back in college. I do agree they have some similar scenes but the similarities are very superficial, so I also believe Collins when she says she's never heard of it! :)

BR and HG are both about children killing because their governments have crap people, but that's where their similarities end. BR and HG deal with completely different reasons for bringing the whole LOL LET'S KILL CHILDREN 'K (and I do think they both based the games on the real-life gladiator tournaments, though Collins makes the references to the gladiators and Rome in her work much more obvious).

LMAO but I am rambling so I will stop; It's just that I have so many feelings for BR and HG (and there was a time when everyone was going OH HG IS JUST A COPYCAT OF BR when they haven't even read HG and I was just RAARGH NO PLEASE READ HG FIRST uugh). ;u;

message 17: by Mari (new)

Mari | 8 comments Yes I agree. I have a lot of friends that do not want to give Hunger Games a try because they think it's a copy cat of Battle Royale. I feel every book should be judged on it's own. So many people are quick to judge without giving it a try.

message 18: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (Juanitac) | 3 comments Feed : The Newsflesh Trilogy

message 19: by Chiqui (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 3 comments Yeah that's true and I agree, that's the reason why I try reading even books everyone warns me against! :)

message 20: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 15 comments 1984. Still the best. I tried to write 2084 and came up with "Rabbletown: Life in These United Christian States of Holy America."

message 21: by Sonny (new)

Sonny | 1 comments Probably the first two survival books written, Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson.

message 22: by Chris (last edited Dec 09, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Chris Ward | 19 comments Futuretrack 5 by Robert Westall. A forgotten classic. I was forced to read Lord of the Flies and Brave New World at school and uni and couldn't really appreciate them. I read 1984 by choice and loved it but if I'd been forced to read it I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Phillips (MarisolPeachwater) The Giver by Lois Lowry

message 24: by Alina (new)

Alina | 2 comments Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

message 25: by Annemieke (new)

Annemieke (annemiekevanelst) | 3 comments Divergentby Veronica Roth.

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Reyes (Dadrocant) | 9 comments Reading A Brave New World and 1984 back to back when I was in college was my way into Dystopia.

message 27: by Nina (new)

Nina (Taleshunter) | 1 comments A Danish one: Golak
I don't think there is a english translation, but it is basically about this boy Jonah, who grows up in a small village in the mountains after what we must assume to be world war three.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The Hunger Games got me into reading dystopian. Now, it is my favourite genre and I just can't get enough of them!!! i read them all the time and will not notice any other books in the bookstore until i have scanned the shelves for any dystopians that my eyes have to read.

message 29: by Chester (new)

Chester | 3 comments The Hunger Games started it, but Divergent sealed it for. I have read all of The Hunger Games, Divergent, Enclave and Birthmarked so far. I love these type books.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1 comments Well, I got started with Animal Farm, then read 1984. Later I picked up Uglies, then read The Bar Code Tattoo. It wasn't until I read The Hunger Games in addition to these that I realized that dystopian was an actual genre that I liked reading. I also read the Giver before all those when I was younger.

message 31: by Ally (new)

Ally (LeopardQueen) 1984. A book which put fuel ont my fire and drove me to have fierce opinions on gov't and society

message 32: by Hope (new)

Hope (hope21) | 1 comments Divergent started it but the Hunger Games confirmed that my kind of book genre is dystopian :)

message 33: by Abby (new)

Abby | 3 comments Uglies was my first dystopian. I read that whole series and then I read The Hunger Games which confirmed my LOVE for dystopians. I read Animal Farm and I LOVED it which also fueled my love for dystopians even more.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (KieliAnne) | 5 comments I guess it was Animal Farm or Lord of the Flies but it wasn't until much later when I read XVI and The Hunger Games that I really got into the genre.

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Noel | 4 comments The Hunger Games was the first dystopian book I've ever read. It really made me love the genre and get back into reading after I'd put the books down for a while. Thanks to THG, my favourite genre is now dystopian :)

message 36: by Raven (new)

Raven (TheBunnyk7) the hunger games definitely changed up my choices in what books i should love to read.... ive been reading a lot of dystopia lately lol

message 37: by Mark (new)

Mark Judd | 1 comments 1984 was my first dystopian and I don't think I've found one to better it just yet.

Loved the hunger games series of course (people looking for something similar should also try Maze Runner or Divergent series.

Apocalyptic Dystopias are also fantastic. "Earth Abides", "One Second After" etc.

Not quite in the Genre but one that captured me totally was Stephen King's "Under the Dome" - love it!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments my first was "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin (?)
my teacher called my parents in for a conference because she thought that it was a danger sign in my personslity,I should be reading "Nancy Drew" like other girls my age. It worried everybody!

message 39: by Esther (last edited Jan 26, 2013 05:06PM) (new)

Esther Kim (EstherKim1016) | 1 comments Mine was the "Divergent" series and "The Hunger Games" series. I read the series' 4 times for both of them, and I like both, but I prefer Divergent better. I also really liked "The Giver" and "Uglies"

message 40: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Evanovich | 2 comments I recall two books read around 1964 or so. I Am Legend and Alas Babylon. Both books were Cold War era post nuclear war novels. Still read well today.

message 41: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Evanovich | 2 comments Also for earlier dystopian fans A Canticle For Libowitcz (spelling is off i'm sure)

message 42: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Simi (IhateTyping) | 5 comments I read ” Fatherland” , liked . Read ”The Coming of the Horseclans ” , love the Horseclans series.

message 43: by Robert C. Adams (new)

Robert C. Adams (robertcadams) | 3 comments 1984 1984 by George Orwell and Battle Royale Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and Mad Max, the movie. Read Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies by William Golding for school and it was cool but the others were more riveting.

message 44: by Keith (last edited Feb 05, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

Keith (Ferris41) 1984 was probably the first that I read that really got my attention to dystopian fiction as a genre. The Handmaid's Tale is also very high on that list.

message 45: by Clarinda (new)

Clarinda (anthrojunkie74) | 1 comments Well, my first books were a long time ago so I don't exactly remember the very first one. There was "Lord of the Flies", "Animal Farm" Brave New World", "1984" all within a couple of years of each other. And I stopped reading the genre for a while and then I got back into it with the "Hunger Games" trilogy.

message 46: by C. (new)

C. Ellis-Massey (CEllisMassey) | 2 comments Mine was Ender's Game. Even though I was assigned that book for English class in high school, it still introduced me to dystopian fiction. I rarely hear people talk about that book these days. I guess too many people had to read it for school!

message 47: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Cohen (DavidSCohen) | 1 comments Like Clarinda the books that excited me about dystopian literature were Brave New World, 1984, and Lord of the Flies. I'm Canadian, so Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale and indeed all of her more recent books, especially Orkx and Crake and more recently, the first three segments of Positron confirmed to me that she is able to envisage the sadness and terror in post-apocalyptic societies as powerfully as anyone.

message 48: by Shaila (new)

Shaila (xangria) | 2 comments The Uglies Series

message 49: by Joe (new)

Joe Nobody (Joe_Nobody) Mine wasn't really a book, but a television show. It aired in 1983 and was called "The Day After."
It was basically a show about post-nuked America and after that I couldn't get enough.

message 50: by Melo (new)

Melo (mellowhirl) Shaila wrote: "The Uglies Series"

Uglies was my first bit of dystopian as well.
I was quite young when I read the series, but its been sitting on a golden shelf in the back of my mind ever since. I've been meaning to re-read the books to see if they still suit my standards so well.

« previous 1 3