Start by marking “Rings of Ice” as Want to Read:
Rings of Ice

Rings of Ice

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
'Zena and the boys went ice-ring planing, Boys fouled up and Earth got a raining!' Gus and Thatch were desperately trying to drive the big mobile home up into the mountains, high above the floods rapidly drowning out the rest of the world. They even had some crazy notion about saving civilization from the waters - which was why they took along uptight Zena - who knew far m ...more
Published November 1st 1987 by Avon Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Rings of Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rings of Ice

Chris Raiin
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful novel! This is my introduction to Piers Anthony and he has quickly become a new favorite author. I look forward to reading more of his work!

*Rings of Ice* is an interesting scifi piece in that, overall, it has the feel of a literary novel. The six main characters (all of them protagonists against the antagonistic worldwide flood) are at odds with themselves and each other as they struggle to survive, and their means of survival hardly feels like scifi. There are no ray guns o
Scott Evans
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a fast easy read. It held my interest and I enjoyed it.
Parson
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Piers Anthony fans, apocalpytic fans, fictional survival fans
Shelves: science-fiction
When one mentions the name Piers Anthony, the typical response is one of bemusement, of hilarity. His Xanth series is what comes to mind, with its outrageousness and its fantastical. However, Anthony has another side -- one settled thoroughly in science, non-fiction and history.

Rings of Ice is one of these books. Based upon a theory known as The Annular Theory, Piers Anthony presents it in all its horrific glory as he leaves no detail not thought of. Typical of end of the world novels, it is dar
Bernard
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bernard by: Eric Bloemeke
Shelves: post-apoc
Ok so I tagged this as post-apoc. But it's really present-apoc. With that out of the way.... I've been reading Piers Anthony books ever since my Pier-Xanth-ony phase 20 years ago. What can I write, other than I'm a sucker for his stories. Saw this one at a friend's house collecting dust and borrowed it. It is a quick read, and has a smattering of science (and science fiction) in it, but mostly focuses on the psychology of a handful of folks who find each other as the deluge to end all storms is ...more
Sandy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book ~25 years ago, and I recalled liking the premise but finding the writing dreadful. FSM knows what compelled me to hunt down a free, digital version so I could test the validity of my memories of it. Still like the premise: imagine that Noah's flood really happened... and it happened again... today. Mayhem ensues. The writing is just atrocious, though. I don't get it, I recall enjoying many books by Piers Anthony; what the hell happened to this one?! Also, the editing is so poor ...more
Samuel Lubell
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
This book was better than I thought it would be. It starts off with a young woman hitchhiking on a highway in a rainstorm. When a Winnebago with two men inside stop for her, she grows alarms that they won't say where they will let her off and threaten her with a gun (it turns out to be a toy.) They are convinced this is a super-rainstorm that will destroy much of the lowlands they are trying to pick up women and head for the mountains. It turns out Zena is a meteorologist who knows they are basi ...more
Barry
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This book has a somewhat plausable "end of the world" scenario. It is possible for a huge amount of water to be introduced to the planet via countless tiny meteors made of ice. However, it barely scratches the surface of the scientific "what if". Understandably, there is not alot of character development since the book is only 181 pages. Being short is actually a benefit, since to address the previously mentioned "what ifs" would have turned this pleasure to read short story into a five day tv m ...more
David Given
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I keep this book as a horrible warning in just how bad a novel can get and yet still be published. Everything about this book is dire: the premise, the plot, the characterisation, even the writing (although even when Anthony's having a good day is prose style doesn't precisely sparkle).

Which is odd, because you'd think it would be less memorable. Something about it --- a (highly cliched) military experiment goes wrong causes a flood of, literally, biblical proportions, and then for some reason t
Twyla
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
its a one day read. So I spent the afternoon in bed with tonsillitis re-reading it. Its the way I remember it; except I thought Thatch died of gangrene or something. Maybe I made that part up when I read it as a kid. Not much room for the characters to grow out of their wide-variety stereotypes; and they're pretty calm about the end of the world. But still, childhood favorite.
Leisa
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4 stars are more for nostalgia than anything else. I first read this book in the 1980s and it really resonated with me because it seemed so brutal and painful to read. It still works as apocalyptic fiction, but now I find I am more interested in what happens next, as it sort of ends when things get interesting.
Sean Randall
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
An interesting end-of-the-world plot, thin on character as it's fairly short. Still the characterisation that is there is top-notch, the facets explored are explored well.

My second reading and although nothing leapt at me as particularly wonderful, a solid lazy read in the sun gets me gazing up at the clouds and wondering...
Jennifer Kronk
I read this book during a 4th grade sick day (first book I ever read in one day:>.) I would probably have to read it as an adult to really remember if it was good or great but WOW has it stuck with me. Anytime I see a heavy rain storm, the thought crosses my mind to look for rings or a weird glow in the sky. I think I liked it although it was way over my head in 4th grade.
Jessi Leppla
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time when I was around 12 years old and I loved it. It is one of my all time favorites and I'm not really sure why. It's definitely memorable though and it's a book that I have read over and over again and always enjoy.
Edgar
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had many ups and downs. The social/genre discourse looks very outdated and at times the plot is almost too pulpy. Still, a couple characters won me, and it's about outcasts surviving a flood! That's three stars. Plus one for very good writing.
Shanna_redwind
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I read this as a teen in the late 1980's and enjoyed it very much. The cross country traveling and constant struggle to survive were just what I wanted to read at the time.
Andy
Ringen van ijs
Susinok
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this years ago and it was a pretty good "end of the world as we know it" book. At the time, post-apocalyptic fiction was very popular.
Piper Mejia
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: armageddon
I like the characters, all very flawed.
Freyja
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason it's one of my re-reads.
Gwen
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This book is Piers Anthony at his gritty best. This is quite an insight into human nature. What WOULD you do in this situation?
Stefani R
Sep 20, 2008
John Thompson
rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2012
What's The Name o...: sci fi 70s or 80s rain, ice in orbit, escape flood [s] 3 25 Nov 13, 2012 12:39PM
  • Shield
  • A Coming of Age
  • Grounded! (Nicole Shea, #2)
  • Stories from The Hugo Winners 1962-1967
  • Children Of Tomorrow
  • The Outposter
  • The Long Loud Silence
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • Rebel Moon
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Involution Ocean
  • They Walked Like Men
  • The Golden Barge
  • Project Pendulum
  • World Without End
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • Mother of Demons

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...