Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Removing Books

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been doing a major cleaning out closets etc. I just came to my full bookcase and have tried to weed out to make room for more. That sure has hurt but I have removed the ones that I like but probably will not reread. Do you have any books on your shelves that you like but probably will not reread? Or do you reread?

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Bonfiggi) There are a lot of books I give away after one read. My shelves are full of old books I love, and can't/won't part with.

message 3: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 Yes, I have a few books that I probably won't read, so they just sit there looking pretty. When the oppotunity presents itself, I gladly give away those books.

message 4: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) I actually love rereading as it gives you a far greater understanding of a book, but sadly, I don't have the time to reread most of my books. I usually don't get rid of books unless I just really dislike them. I mean, right now, I can only think of like two books that I would get rid of.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments I used to keep books that I liked a lot and said I was going to reread - but 30 or so years have passed and I have never reread one of them. So...I cleaned out my book shelves and gave them to the library to sell at "Friends of the Library". Hopefully this helps them a little bit. Funding has become so bad. Now almost everything I read goes to them.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 373 comments I reread quite a bit. If I didn't really care for a book I do put it up for swap though.

message 7: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I re-read a lot but some books will get read once and then given to charity and some I'll keep for a few years and then after deciding I'll never read it and I need the room I'll get rid of it. I have loads of books I've owned for many years but never read, but now they're pretty much down to a core selection of ones I will definitely get around to eventually... maybe. ;-)

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita (RitaLB) If I have a book that I love I would never part with it.
I do, however, part with books I didn't like - my shelves are premium space only meant for books I want to keep :)

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookeater89) I do not part with books unless I hate them, or have more than one copy. I'm sure I will have to eventually because if I keep buying and reading at my rate by the time I'm 40 I wont be able to move.

message 10: by Kate (last edited Oct 24, 2012 05:23AM) (new)

Kate Cooley I can only bear to part with books I really hated. Other wise I keep tham all and lend them out to friends instead. Our spare room/guest room is really a library.

message 11: by Joseph (last edited Oct 24, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1823 comments Mod
I'm a chronic rereader and for the most part, I don't buy a book unless I know I want to keep it. If I'm not sure I'll like a book, I check it out of the library first. If I do like it, then I'll buy it to add to my personal library to be reread when the time and mood is right. I very rarely, if ever, remove a book. If I do, it most likely is because it is in just such bad shape it really isn't usuable anymore, and if that's the case, I'll often buy a new copy of it.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments I only keep books I plan to reread. (plan to...) These are only a small percentage of the books I read though. Usually just favorite authors or really outstanding stories. The others I trade or let friends borrow.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 70 comments I have gotten rid of a bare few books in my lifetime. Usually books I've read but did not like, or found useless such as a BASIC programming book from 1987.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 406 comments I recently started doing as Joseph suggested, which is, if I am not sure if I will like the book then I get it from the library. I do have to say though that my library is seriously lacking in some departments. If they don't have the book and I don't see any reason for them to buy it then I do an inter-library loan which costs me $2.50. That was a shock to the system since where I grew up never charged me to do something like that. But, before the recent change of utilizing the library I would just buy the books and think what a great addition it would make to my library. Then I found that there were really books out there that even though they were good for one read or maybe not so good for one read, but basically that I didn't care for them, that I didn't want them on my shelf taking up space. So, they are getting weeded out and going to the local paperback book exchange or to Amazon to be sold! So far I haven't regretted getting rid of anything and it has opened me up to some other good reads that "someday" I will reread!

message 15: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 408 comments For most of my life I gave books away or sold them at the used book store but the last few years I have become very possessive of my books. I just can't part with them. I only have around 300 left out of the probably thousands I have bought over the years so they're not really a problem. Any flat surface becomes a book shelf in my house.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan The last time I moved I had 2500 books to pack up. I decided to weed them out and donated all but about 500.

message 17: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 406 comments i have a lot of books to read through once, then i donate them

message 18: by Teawench (new)

Teawench Susan wrote: "The last time I moved I had 2500 books to pack up. I decided to weed them out and donated all but about 500."

We'll be moving in a couple weeks and I have over 3000 books to move. They are already boxed up & have been for years but I'm thinking if we move again, I'll be getting rid of a bunch.

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1823 comments Mod
Teawench wrote: "Susan wrote: "The last time I moved I had 2500 books to pack up. I decided to weed them out and donated all but about 500."

We'll be moving in a couple weeks and I have over 3000 books to move. Th..."

I just moved myself into my first house and ended up boxing up 5200 books. The primary thing my new home had to have was plenty of wall space for bookcases. :-)

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 343 comments I have shelves in my house that are for books that I collect to reread only and then there are shelves that are for books I have yet to read.

If I really liked a book then I will probably reread it at some point but if I thought it was OK or didn't like a book then it gets sent to the library, they will either put it in circulation or in the book sale depending on if they already have it or not.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I have parted with books I didn't care for that much or know I won't reread. But I am a person who likes to reread, so I tend to keep a lot. Also I have 3 sons who borrow mom's books too.

message 22: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 286 comments I once got rid of a whole series of books which I actually loved just for a quick buck (this was when I was a teen) and I have always regretted it, so now I am somewhat of a book hoarder. I absolutely hate getting rid of books, even ones I haven't much enjoyed, as my wide ranging collection gives me a lot of joy.

message 23: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I am a collector. I collect practically anything and everything. Multiplicity is beauty to my eyes so the thought of reducing my stockpile of anything is painful. I must admit that occasionally I find that I have multiple copies of some particular book and after much guilt and soul-searching I may decide to give them away if I am assured that they will have a good home and will be loved. Many have suggested that my condition is bordering on mania but I insist that I am harmless. I’ve got the collecting bug bad and will be the first to admit it. I’m sure there are Book Buying Addicts of all kinds; I am just one,

message 24: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I often have a clear-out and take a bag of books to one of the local charity shops. I do find it difficult at times but I try to be rational about what books I keep, whether for sentimental, or for reference or re-reading.

The only problem with being ruthless about books I've read is that the proportion of unread books in my library is quite high.