Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > How many Christie's have you read?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by depletive (new)

depletive | 359 comments I've read 10! (Ha, that's not that much)

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 262 comments All of them!!! Even some of the plays, as well as her memoir Come, Tell Me How You Live, and her autobiograpy. I have not, however, read her romantic novels written under the name Mary Westmacott.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) | 2663 comments Smurf wrote: "I've read 10! (Ha, that's not that much)"

I envy you - you have lots of good reading ahead of you :)

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee | 436 comments I've actually not read very many of them. I read a few in high school and am just getting back into reading them. Just got a nice shipment of Christie books and very excited to start reading them!

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4504 comments Mod
Denise wrote: "All of them!!! Even some of the plays, as well as her memoir Come, Tell Me How You Live, and her autobiograpy. I have not, however, read her romantic novels written under the name Mary Westmacott."

I'm thinking about ending our 7 years of Christie with the Mary Westmacott books as an added read when we start all over again. I'm not sure people would want to have them be the sole book of the month but I'll make them be an alternative or bonus. I have a little while to figure it out. I'll ask people which way they're prefer.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) I have read all of the Poirot except for Curtain: Poirot's Last Case; all the Harley Quin and Parker Pyne (that's not hard since there are very few); two of the plays; and most of the Miss Marple. None of the Mary Westmacott.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica 15-20 max

message 8: by Smitha (new)

Smitha all

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Smitha and Denise - yikes - that's a lot of books!

message 10: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) about 30, i have got 5 unread right now!!!

message 11: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments I read just 6

But I am 14 and I started last year to read Agatha Christie and after I read 6 books in the summer I stopped because I have to learn for school...

message 12: by Akash (last edited Feb 03, 2013 01:05AM) (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) well im 12...

message 13: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) in 1 month i will be 13 though

message 14: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments awesome, and when did you start reading Agatha Christie?
P.S.: Happy Birthday (for then :) )

message 15: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) thanks :)

when i was 10.....i just happened to pick one up and got totally hooked!!!some of the great books are::and then they were none,murder on the orient express and ABC murders...

message 16: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments ABC murders is a really amazing book! I read that one and I loved it :)
The Mystery Of The Crime Without A Body (I don't know its name in English) is also AWESOME!
and about And Then There Were None I won't read because someone told me the end -.-' I hate those things...

message 17: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments and: well, you started almost three years ago, I just started this summer..

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) | 243 comments Mod
Flavia wrote: "I read just 6

But I am 14 and I started last year to read Agatha Christie and after I read 6 books in the summer I stopped because I have to learn for school..."

oh to be 14 again! haha. Sounds like we started reading AC at the same age, Flavia! I was about 14 when I began reading them. My first was And Then There Were None, then Murder on the Orient Express. I think you should read And Then There Were None, even if you know the ending, it's still an adventure! ;)

What language do you read in?

message 19: by Flavia (last edited Dec 11, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

Flavia | 43 comments Trevor: well, I tried to but after I read the first chapter I lost interest so I decided to try something else. I will probably read it later, after I forget the ending or just, I don't know, if I am curious how they died.. :)

{ "I think you should read And Then There Were None, even if you know the ending, it's still an adventure! ;)" }
I know what you mean, it's like watching the movie after you read the book, but in this case I know just the ending:(

Well, even if I know English and I would understand the books, I prefer to read them in my native language (Romanian) because I'm scared I could lose some details so I prefer to read other books, where not EVERY DETAIL is important, in English, and the Agatha Christie books in Romanian
:)

message 20: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) | 243 comments Mod
That's really cool! I envy people who are bilingual so much! haha.

message 21: by Eszter (new)

Eszter (anneishia) | 43 comments All novels, short collections and plays-which is ca. 100 books. I have not, however, read her novels written under the name Mary Westmacott.

message 22: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments Trevor: I kinda know German too, but not that good :))
And, well, people who don't talk in English where they live kinda have to learn English to communicate with people from other countries (for example, I couldn't be in this group if I didn't know English and that would be sad...)

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 262 comments I think that Romanian and Catalan are the only two Romance languages I haven't studied. I've taken French, Spanish (have a BA and MA in it), Portuguese, and a short class on Italian where I didn't really learn much. I did take a year of German, but found it very different than the Romance languages, so I didn't like it as much, although I am half German!

message 24: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments OH MY GOD! How awesome! :o
Well, Romanian is not so wonderful, it doesn't have an accent or something like this (or at least I don't think so) but it has a kinda hard grammar...

message 25: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) wow...u guys are interested in learning languages!!?? i live in india and its necessary to know atleast 4 to 5 languages and i really dont like it...i prefer only english!!

message 26: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments I'm not really interested, I learn them at school :)

message 27: by Ana (new)

Ana So far I've 38 of her books

message 28: by Scott (new)

Scott (Dodger1379) I've read 24 of them so far

message 29: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) Flavia wrote: "I'm not really interested, I learn them at school :)"
we have to learn them at school too...its compulsary to learn them:(
its really lucky if u can choose what subjects u want to learn!!

message 30: by Flavia (new)

Flavia | 43 comments Akash: we have to learn English and we have to choose between German and French, but in my school for general classes we can only learn German 'cause there's not a French teacher :(

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Trevor wrote: "That's really cool! I envy people who are bilingual so much! haha."

Me also, I tried when young and am not gifted there. Too much to do also since I have so many hobbies already.I wish I had twice as long at life to fit it all in.

message 32: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) in india most people know 4 to 5 languages because of the different states and all that...unfortunately i know only english well,so its rather tough .being able to learn languages is seriously an awesome gift!!

message 33: by Nupur (new)

Nupur Harshita (nmarwaha) | 1 comments All n many of them twice or thrice:)

message 34: by Carolyn F. (new)

Flavia wrote: "Akash: we have to learn English and we have to choose between German and French, but in my school for general classes we can only learn German 'cause there's not a French teacher :("

I met some people who were from Sweden and Germany in a group my husband is in. They had never been to America and could absolutely speak fluently with slang and all. I was amazed and ashamed. I talk like a 2 year old (maybe not even that well) in Spanish and that's it!

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Moran | 11 comments As well as I can remember 21. Plus, I have read her first Collection of Poirot short stories twice. Has anyone noticed that she almost exactly mimicked Doyle's Holmes character and setting in those short stories. Also, a lot of her early novels are very similar to Doyle's work. Captain Hastings marrying a woman he met during a case was very similar to how Dr. Watson found his wife. Additionally, having the less than brilliant side kick who writes down the cases that is another thing she "borrowed" from Doyle. The Big Four also very similar to Doyle's "Sign of Four". Just surprises me because I read her stuff long before the Holmes' books.

message 36: by Carolyn F. (new)

I never noticed the similarities before Jonathan :)

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 262 comments Jonathan, are you familiar with the C. Auguste Dupin stories by Edgar Allan Poe (The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Roget, The Purloined Letter)? They are generally considered the first detective stories. Doyle 'borrowed' some of those elements from Poe to begin with - the detective that relies on his brains, with the sidekick that records the stories. There are some more similarities between the Poirot and Holmes stories, though, like as you pointed out, the sidekick's marriage, and also both Holmes and Poirot admired a woman who was a challenge to them (Irene Adler and Countess Vera Rossakoff, respectively).

message 38: by Juhi (last edited Feb 11, 2013 06:30PM) (new)

Juhi (The_Mona_Lisa) | 14 comments I have not had very much time to read many AC books as i was only introduced to them very recently (18 months ago) and am also a VERY BUSY high school student...
However i have watched the films and thoroughly enjoyed David Suchet's portrayal of the great Hercule Poirot..

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

I love David Suchet Juhi! He narrates a few of the audiobook too.

message 40: by Angana (new)

Angana (Tuaa) | 99 comments Denise wrote: "All of them!!! Even some of the plays, as well as her memoir Come, Tell Me How You Live, and her autobiograpy. I have not, however, read her romantic novels written under the name Mary Westmacott."

Aha, I have company. I have read her plays, short stories, autobiography, memoir, everything, and even her Westmacott novels! But, not all the mysteries. I have a few, about 4 or 5 left!

message 41: by Angana (new)

Angana (Tuaa) | 99 comments Akash wrote: "wow...u guys are interested in learning languages!!?? i live in india and its necessary to know atleast 4 to 5 languages and i really dont like it...i prefer only english!!"

Which part of India do you live in that needs 4 to 5 languages?! I think 2 is enough....Hindi and your state language I suppose!

message 42: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) I live in Karnataka on the border of Maharasthra..(Belgaum)...
so Marathi,Kannada,Hindi and of course English..:(:)

message 43: by Angana (new)

Angana (Tuaa) | 99 comments So you are pretty well off, so what have you to complain about? I know 4 languages too. When I am an old maid, jobless and bored I plan to learn Japanese.

message 44: by Akash (new)

Akash (Insertcoolnamehere) hey not everyone picks up languages easily..i find it quite difficult to learn them so please dont assume anything at all..anyway this is getting a bit off topic

message 45: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi All of them:)

message 46: by Carolyn F. (new)

Wow Lakshmi!

message 47: by Amrutha (new)

Amrutha Stephen (AnnieStephenie) | 12 comments 49, by far.

message 48: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Bernthal | 13 comments All. At least twice! Inlcuding some stuff that hasn't been published yet!! #Geek

message 49: by Carolyn F. (new)

Good for you Jamie!

message 50: by Simran (new)

Simran Kalita | 1 comments I read 36 books by christie. n all of them were amazing. I guess there are few writers whose so many books I find awesome....

« previous 1 3 4