Start by marking “Curtain (Hercule Poirot, #42)” as Want to Read:
Curtain (Hercule Poirot, #42)

Curtain

(Hercule Poirot Mysteries #42)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  27,772 ratings  ·  1,535 reviews
The house guests at Styles seemed perfectly pleasant to Captain Hastings; there was his own daughter Judith, an inoffensive ornithologist called Norton, dashing Mr Allerton, brittle Miss Cole, Doctor Franklin and his fragile wife Barbara , Nurse Craven, Colonel Luttrell and his charming wife, Daisy, and the charismatic Boyd-Carrington. So Hastings was shocked to learn from ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 215 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Berkley (first published June 7th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Curtain, please sign up.
ashortbooklover For me, it works better as the last one in the Poirot series but it would work if it's read out of order. Personally I would make sure that you read…moreFor me, it works better as the last one in the Poirot series but it would work if it's read out of order. Personally I would make sure that you read The Mysterious Affair at Styles first, as there are a few references to that case. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  27,772 ratings  ·  1,535 reviews

Start your review of Curtain (Hercule Poirot, #42)
Richard Derus
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: The Full Five

When this novel came out in 1975, my older sister was a bookshop owner and gave me and our mother a copy to savor. None of the three of us were particular Christie nuts. My sister felt that Dame Ags played gawd with the clues a bit too much...my mother found Poirot insufferably smug. I read the book without discrimination or comprehension, and moved on to other things I liked better. I believe that was the year I read Stand on Zanzibar, but am not positive.

Now that I'm the
Ahmad Sharabiani
Curtain (Hercule Poirot #39), Agatha Christie
Curtain (Hercule Poirot #39), Written about 1940, published 1975, Agatha Christie (1891 – 1976)
Characters: Hercule Poirot, John Franklin, Barbara Franklin, Judith Hastings, Stephen Norton.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Abstract: The crime-fighting careers of Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings have come full circle they are back once again in the rambling country house in which they solved their first murder together. Both Poirot and Great Styles have seen better days but, despite being crippled with arthritis, there is nothing wrong with the great detective and his “little gray cells.” However, when Poirot brands
mark monday
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
You Chose Your Own Adventure!

You are the killer: you kill yourself. You deserve it. Or do you? Are you the hero or the villain? But what does it matter; in the end, death comes to us all. Your adventure is over.

If you decide to reject your notorious life and start anew, choose
David Schaafsma
Curtain: Poirot’s Last Case!

“Nothing is so sad, in my opinion, as the devastation wrought by age”—Hastings, on Poirot

I’m done, whew, having read all of 38 Christie Poirot novels (and a couple short story collections) in order of publication, over the past 2-3 years. I’ll listen again to And Then There Were None and will not read Christie again for awhile, I am sure.

Christie, fearing for her life during WWII, wrote the last Poirot and Marple books in the early forties, and sealed them in a vault
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Agatha Christie's swan song for her most famous character, Hercule Poirot, fittingly returns him and and his friend Arthur Hastings to the setting of her very first novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles. Aside from the fact that it's Poirot's final case, a rather unusual twist and the recurring Othello theme make this one of Christie's more memorable works, if rather melancholy.

It was interesting to find out that Christie originally wrote this novel during World War II, possibly fearing that
Poonam
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"For a murderer, my friend, is more conceited than any creature on this earth. A murderer is always more clever than anyone else- no one will ever suspect him or her- the police will be utterly baffled"

The above quote is a perfect way to describe this mystery.

I have been wanting to read this for some time now and what better day than Christie's birthday.

I have now read numerous mysteries by Christie but there is no pattern (apart from a cozy setting)
Each and every mystery, murder suspects, the
Laurel Young
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Tatevik Najaryan
A masterpiece for finishing the series. Although I haven't read all the books, only 5-6. I read what I had in hand.

A really good crime plot. I guessed some parts about the story, but not the parts of murderer.
Thought I grew out of classical crime fiction after school, but no. The impression was as good as it was about 15 years ago. Maybe it's time I reread Sherlock Holmes?
Janete
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, favorites
Outstanding. Better than the first time that I read it.
Alex
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am sad that I had to give 2 stars to an Agatha Christie book because I am a huge fan. I took this book with a lot of hope. This book is so famous I thought I will have a fantastic reading experience with it. I felt distraught after reading it.

The 2 stars are for the following:

The original idea of the story, a criminal who puts thoughts into people and make them commit crimes. It was brilliant. Totally awesome.

Secondly, the book portrays many kinds of people and their relationships. And I
Nandakishore Varma
It would be wrong to say I loved this book (despite the 5 stars)... I hated it. I love Poirot so much that I couldn't bear to see him pass beyond the veil.

That said, I consider this one a fantastic mystery - and one which could be resolved only this way, with the death of the detective (read the book, and you'll get what I mean). Many people have complained that the premise is far-fetched, but IMO, that is its main charm. And let me tell you, it's not all that impossible... (view spoiler)
Anna Luce

“Who is there who has not felt a sudden startled pang at reliving an old experience, or feeling an old emotion?”

Curtain bids a bittersweet farewell to the one and only Hercule Poirot. While I know that by this point Agatha Christie feelings towards him were less than amicable, her novel doesn't convey its creators impatience. Rather than hurrying Poirot off from the stage, Christie grants him one final performance.
I will admit that seeing the formidable Poirot altered in such a
Fiona
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Agatha, whatever possessed you to write this piece of nonsense? I'll give you that it's built on an interesting concept but so much of it is so transparently obvious and the ending........whatever possessed you? My favourite phrase in the book is "It behooved us to forestall that happening" - not a phrase much in use these days, if ever. Frankly, Mrs Christie, you should have behooved yourself not to write this book. It's criminal!"

My first 'borrow' from Open Library. A few pages missing
Mike
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his last case Poirot returns to where it all began for the reader, Styles. Here an old and physically ailing Poirot tries to track down his greatest challenge adversary: a murder who appears completely unconnected with a string of murders. A villain so devious his very existence is unknown to all but Poirot's little grey cells. As with The Mysterious Affair at Styles Poirot enlists the help of Hastings in tracking down the villain and it is from Hastings point of view we get the story.

As per
Debbie Zapata
Dec 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturdaymx
With apologies to all the Agatha Christie fans of the world, I simply could not get myself interested enough in this book to finish it. I tried, I really did, because my mother gave me her paperback copy after she heard that I had read the first Poirot novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles . She said that since I had read the first one featuring the Belgian detective, I should also read the final one. Although I had decided not to read any other Christie titles, I gave in and took the book. How ...more
Kelly
Meh! It’s all gestures, nostalgia, obvious red herrings and filler until the BIG TWIST at the end. You may as well read the first 20 pages and the last 20 and call it a day. I’ll stick with Miss Marple for the time being.
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An unforgettable end to the best detective in fiction, I would recommend reading this book AFTER you've read ALL the Poirot books.
Reminding very much of The Crooked House, however much better. Christie was a genius.
Wafae | 와파
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ratings: SOLID 05 STARS!!
Shelved as: Favorites! Fav Mystery Novels!!
Status: mixed feels but i absolutely love it.. <3
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of murder mystery
Author: Agatha Christie
Published: 01/09/2000 (first published 1973)

Another great book by Agatha Christie! Poirot is my favourite out of the Agatha Christie books, it is sad that the Hercule Poirot series came to an end but this was a really brilliant ending. I think that this book was brilliantly and expertly written, it gripped my attention and refused to let it go, even after I finished the book my head was still rushing through how Agatha Christie can write such an amazing book. Once again
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, mystery
Poirot is my favorite Agatha Christie sleuth. I also love the corresponding A&E Poirot series with David Suchet playing the famous Belgian detective (those moustaches!). I have to admit, I have a bit of a crush on the Poirot character. He's so smart, so wonderfully pompous but gentlemanly, a wee bit delicate, slightly neurotic, a loyal friend, and dedicated protector of the innocent. I always enjoy Poirot and Hastings working together and Poirot's gentle chiding of Hastings' deductions.

I
Kavita
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, uk
Gosh, I am bawling my eyes out! Poirot is dead, and it is the end of an era. :'( Christie wrote this book during World War II and hid it away in a safe vault since she was not sure she would survive the war. But she wanted to be sure that Poirot had his finale the way she wanted and she did not want anyone else to appropriate her character (are you listening, Sophie Hannah?). The book was later published in the 70s.

Poirot is back at Styles and so is Hastings, back to the place where they first
Hannah
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I had to present a class tutorial on this book, so I read it three times in a row: once to understand what happens, once to analyse the crap out of it, and once more to try to enjoy it again.

I really did enjoy the book. I love Agatha Christie's writing. She never fails to force on me a deep desire to go back to that 'golden era' and live like one of the wealthy characters in her books. I also find myself for a few days after reading any of her books narrating my life as if I were actually living
Erin
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No one, to my knowledge, has written a sonnet about Poirot, a la Vincent Starret's 221B. Perhaps that's because Poirot put so much of an emphasis on life that, in the end, he did everything possible to protect it.

So maybe Poirot doesn't have the pipe, or the deerstalker, or a Mrs Hudson or even a Watson, in the end. He was, and is, alone, in the end, regardless of the warmth and good intentions of Arthur Hastings, the friendliness and respect of Inspector Japp, or even the vague assistance
☯Emily
The first time we meet Poirot, he is at Styles St. Mary during World War 1. That is where Hastings first pairs up with Poirot. Many years later, they meet again at the same location. This latter meeting is the where Curtain takes place. Poirot is old physically, but still sharp mentally. Hastings is mourning the death of his wife and worrying about his daughter, Judith, who is also visiting at the same house as her father.

Poirot has discovered that a series of deaths seem to be connected. One
Karin
Captain Arthur Hastings had been asked to join is very old friend, Hercules Poirot, at the site of the first murder Hastings saw Poirot solve. In addition, Hastings' favourite daughter, Julia, will be there. Poirot mystifies Hastings by telling him that someone he will only refer to as X is there, and that he has murdered five times before. Hastings is to try and find out who the intended victim is to try and stop the murder before it happens, but Hastings is flummoxed at the task.

This novel has
Andrea
A bittersweet moment for me. My last Hercule Poirot novel and the one that takes the reader full circle to the infamous Styles, where it all began. Hastings is back too, and so the stage is set for the dazzling exit of the aging detective. It was good to go down the memory lane, to give it one more whirl in a new murder case, and to bid farewell. I shed a little tear and go back in time to when another brilliant sleuth was born - it’s time to move on to Miss Marple.
imts
"I will not look through keyholes," I interrupted hotly. Poirot closed his eyes. "Very well, then. You will not look through keyholes. You will remain the English gentleman and someone will be killed."

This was the second time I read this book, and the pain did not decrease in the slightest.
Obsidian
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Curtain is the last novel starring Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. This was a whirlwind year for me to actually read all of the Poirot books this year. There were definitely some books that were my favorites, and some that I ended up just outright disliking. This particular book felt like classic Christie. I think it was because Curtain was written by Agatha Christie thirty years before it was published in 1975. Because of this, though we have allusions to the second World War, Christie did ...more
Carrie
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This is Poirot’s last novel, which, like Miss Marple’s Sleeping Murder, was written (during World War II just in case) long before it was published (in the late 1970’s as her second to last published novel), and unlike the Marple book, it is a real “last” book*. One reason for this is that it takes place at Styles - the setting of the first Poirot novel. It is no longer a private home, but now a guest home. Poirot has invited Hastings (whose wife has recently died) to come to stay there with him ...more
Crime, Mysteries ...: Curtain: Poirot's Last Case by Agatha Christie - 07/22 thru 08/0 8 23 Aug 18, 2018 12:45AM
Book sale 1 5 Jul 27, 2017 06:37PM
Agatha Christie L...: June 2017 - Curtain 6 72 Jul 03, 2017 08:06AM
Play Book Tag: Curtain by Agatha Christie 4 stars 10 21 Jun 03, 2017 07:10AM
Who Doesn't Love ...: Curtain by Agatha Christie 4 stars 2 7 Jun 02, 2017 08:09AM
Hugh Fraser reads/Performs last Poirot Case! 1 7 Jan 17, 2017 01:05AM
Chapter Chatter: Curtain by Agatha Christie 2 11 May 29, 2013 08:02AM

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Spider's Web
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • A Christmas Caper (Sugar Martin Vintage Cozy Mysteries Book 3)
  • Holiday Gone: The Hettie and Ro Adventures
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • The Wedding Day Death: A 1920s Mystery Romance (Lola Rose Mysteries Book Four)
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • قاعة المرايا
  • حكايات مارك توين

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in

Hercule Poirot Mysteries (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • The Lemesurier Inheritance: A Hercule Poirot Short Story
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
“Everyone is a potential murderer-in everyone there arises from time to time the wish to kill-though not the will to kill.” 148 likes
“Underneath the quarrels,the misunderstandings, the apparent hostility of everyday life, a real and true affection can exist. Married life, I mused, as I went to bed,
was a curious thing.”