Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Other issues (Audible)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,209) (1209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4356 comments This area is for discussions that don't fit into the other, specific folders.

message 2: by Clif (new)

Clif Hostetler (Clif_) | 26 comments Does Audible.com actively pursue restriction of the rights to the "text to voice" feature on the Kindle?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd dearly love a good, unabridged recording of Woolf's The Waves.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments This is in the way of "too much of a good thing." The last couple of Audible sales have been interrupted by... another Audible sale. Sales are great, but I begin to get overwhelmed when the Shock-tober sale is interrupted by a 48-hour sale, or when the BOGO Classics sale was interrupted by whatever that other sale was. Oh, and the ACX sale simultaneous but not advertised during another sale. Like I said, I love sales, but overlapping ones freak me out--I'm afraid I'll miss something.

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments John, these threads that are all Audible related, when they come as emails, the titles lacks the word Audible, I only get the text "Other Issues". Maybe it would be better with "Other Audible Issues"?

message 6: by Care (new)

Care (bkclubcare) I have listened to two audiobooks over 40 hours in length but have yet to unlock the Mount Everest badge on the iPhone app. Where is the page that explains how to unlock badges?

message 7: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Two small--but meaningful to me--issues. First, I'd love a "Notify Me When" sign-up feature for releases by a specific author or book title. I spend far too much time checking to see if that missing title from a favorite series has finally been added or if an author's next release is available. I'd rather spend time looking at books that are there rather than books that are not.
Second thing, I really like the option for seeing all books in a series and even appreciate seeing the listing for books not available on Audible. But the button accompanying unavailable books labeled "Why Not?" is confusing. I'm assuming it registers a person's interest in acquiring that book, but the first time I encountered it I thought it might actually explain why the book wasn't available. Maybe a different label for that button would be more meaningful. And, by the way, does clicking on that button actually mean or do anything?

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments I have a request. When there is a sale, I would like to know if one of the sale books is on my wish-list. My wish-list is over 10 pages long so it takes me forever to find the sale books.

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Chrissie wrote: "I have a request. When there is a sale, I would like to know if one of the sale books is on my wish-list. My wish-list is over 10 pages long so it takes me forever to find the sale books."

They do actually do this sometimes, but I often discover I don't have all the books I'm interested in on the Wish List and still have to hunt for them on the sale. Previously, in order to keep my Wish List manageable, I listed only the next book in a series on the WL and then added the next when the other was bought or finished. Now, given the way the sales operate, I may have to reconsider how I use my WL. Not sure though, it leads to an unwieldy WL.

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Care wrote: "I have listened to two audiobooks over 40 hours in length but have yet to unlock the Mount Everest badge on the iPhone app. Where is the page that explains how to unlock badges?"

I agree to this. Not knowing what you need to get the badges is sort of annoying. ;)

message 11: by Care (new)

Care (bkclubcare) Someone sent me a link to info on how to win badges in the Audible app:

http://www.quora.com/Audible-com/How-...

message 12: by Audible.com (new)

Audible.com (Audible_com) | 273 comments Osho wrote: "I'd dearly love a good, unabridged recording of Woolf's The Waves."

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll pass that on to our Content Team to see if we can add an unabridged edition to our catalog. In the future, feel free to email your suggestions to content-requests@audible.com.

message 13: by Audible.com (new)

Audible.com (Audible_com) | 273 comments Jeanie wrote: "Two small--but meaningful to me--issues. First, I'd love a "Notify Me When" sign-up feature for releases by a specific author or book title. I spend far too much time checking to see if that miss..."

Thanks for the feedback on notifications. And I’m glad the series view feature has been helpful. The “Why Not?” button is meant to share some of the reasons why we may not have a particular title, but we’re always working to fill in those gaps. Hope that helps!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments Jeanie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I have a request. When there is a sale, I would like to know if one of the sale books is on my wish-list. My wish-list is over 10 pages long so it takes me forever to find the sale..."

and Chris

Only once did I get the message that one of my wish-list books was part of the sale! I was so happy when it did. Also, I just wish there was a way of putting my wishlist audiobooks in two groups - the must haves and the want to haves! It is nice to know that I am not the only one with very long wish lists.....

message 16: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Audible.com wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Two small--but meaningful to me--issues. First, I'd love a "Notify Me When" sign-up feature for releases by a specific author or book title. I spend far too much time checking to s..."

Yes, that helps. Thank you for the information--this is great, I'm talking to Audible!

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments Where is this "why not button"? I look for a book on the "advanced search screen". Is it there? What exactly does pushing that button achieve, assuming I find it?

I agree with Jeanie, it would be awfully helpful with a "notify me when button". I keep sending requests to Audible at the content email address, but a button ought to be simpler for everybody.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise (Dirichs) | 7 comments Chrissie wrote: "Where is this "why not button"? I look for a book on the "advanced search screen". Is it there? What exactly does pushing that button achieve, assuming I find it?

I agree with Jeanie, it would be ..."

Oh I see the 'why not button' constantly... I live in Denmark, which means a lot of audiobooks are not available to me because of publishing rights, and everytime that happens, I see that button... And yes, it pisses me off every time.
For example: there is a tread somewhere on GR that mentions new releases from Tantor, and there was a lot of books I wanted to listen to. So I went to their website, and out of the first 50 books in their romance category 3 books were available to me.
So my biggest wish for publishing houses is to work on international publishing rights, not just the US and UK

message 19: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments Louise-Tempheramental Angehl - wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Where is this "why not button"? I look for a book on the "advanced search screen". Is it there? What exactly does pushing that button achieve, assuming I find it?

I agree with Jea..."

I am in Belgium, so I have the same problem. So pushing that button just say the normal bit about publishing rights? Boy do I wish the publishers would understand that books are sold and desired on a world market! I know, I know, it seems difficult to achieve, but if we do not complain nothing will change!

message 20: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Chrissie wrote: "Where is this "why not button"? I look for a book on the "advanced search screen". Is it there? What exactly does pushing that button achieve, assuming I find it?

I agree with Jeanie, it would be ..."

At Audible you can go to a page where the entire book series by an author is listed in order. The Why Not? button is on that page when a book is not available.
So far I've never actually had anything happen when I clicked on one, but I've only been checking a small sample of unavailable books. Lately, it's been the Coffeehouse Mystery series books 7-9, in case Audible is interested ;-D

message 21: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments Jeanie, thanks for explaining.

message 22: by Jonette (new)

Jonette | 27 comments What I would love is to have a "read" check box we can use for books not purchased on Audible. There are so many audiobooks that I've read from the library and before I joined Audible it would be so convenient to be able to keep track of and even rate and review them on Audible. Perhaps it could say "read- not in library" or something like that?

message 23: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments Jonette wrote: "What I would love is to have a "read" check box we can use for books not purchased on Audible. There are so many audiobooks that I've read from the library and before I joined Audible it would be ..."

I would like this too because most of the titles audible recommends to me are books I have listened to from other places..but I always think yes you are right audible I did like that book too! But would be nice to see what they'd recommend if they knew I had already read that book!

message 24: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4356 comments I don't see this as likely to change, and although I, too, have listened to, but not purchased, many of their books, I can understand why. Their readers buy the "right" to chip in with an opinion, and they've been quite fair about letting far-from-flattering comments stand (including a few of my own). I keep track of my books, in all formats, at Goodreads - almost always with at least a sentence-length comment, so don't need to do so at Audible; I don't use Audible's "recommendations" at all, pretty much ignoring them, period.

message 25: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments I must confess I rarely shop Amazon anymore, but there used to be a feature where you could click on "I Own It" when you visited the page of the item or when they sent you a recommendation. If Audible did this, it might not allow a review, but recommendations might be more pertinent. I do actually look at my Audible recommendations and have bought several--okay, many--books as a result. It is disheartening when the recs are for titles I've read, or have by a different narrator.

message 26: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 437 comments Jeanie wrote: "I must confess I rarely shop Amazon anymore, but there used to be a feature where you could click on "I Own It" when you visited the page of the item or when they sent you a recommendation. If Aud..."
I agree with this. Also, it it could include some sort of "I read it" as in "I read it in print".

I'd like to be able to search my library by narrator. Sometimes, a narrator's name or voice will be familiar, but I can't search my library to see if I've listened to him or her before. I'd also like to have a way to know when my favorite narrators have a new release.

message 27: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Sandi wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I must confess I rarely shop Amazon anymore, but there used to be a feature where you could click on "I Own It" when you visited the page of the item or when they sent you a recommen..."

I second you about narrators, great idea!

message 28: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments Sandi wrote: I'd like to be able to search my library by narrator. Sometimes, a narrator's name or voice will be familiar, but I can't search my library to see if I've listened to him or her before. I'd also like to have a way to know when my favorite narrators have a new release...."

That would be great too usually a couple times a month I search my favorite narrators and sort by release date.

message 29: by MissSusie (last edited Oct 13, 2012 09:13PM) (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments Audible.com wrote: "Osho wrote: "I'd dearly love a good, unabridged recording of Woolf's The Waves."

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll pass that on to our Content Team to see if we can add an unabridged edition to our..."

I just tried sending an email to requests@audible.com and it bounced back as undelivered.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.requests@audible.com

EDT: The correct address is
content-requests@audible.com

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Try content-requests@audible.com

message 31: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments Osho wrote: "Try content-requests@audible.com"

Thanks found it on the site!

message 32: by Audible.com (new)

Audible.com (Audible_com) | 273 comments Jeanie wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I must confess I rarely shop Amazon anymore, but there used to be a feature where you could click on "I Own It" when you visited the page of the item or when they sent ..."

These are great comments, Jeanie and Sandi! We're always looking for ways to improve the Audible experience, and feedback like this helps.

message 33: by Katalin (new)

Katalin Sometimes I come across books on audible that are free for a short period of time, but I never know how to search for these freebies.. I just hear about them or come across them accidentally. Any way to search for or see what books are free?

message 34: by Frances (last edited Oct 24, 2012 06:22AM) (new)

Frances (shibagirl) | 151 comments I really like using audible (both www.and the app)
One thing that really drives me crazy is that often Audible (especially audible.co.uk ) Doesn’t tell you that the book is a part of a series. It's realy irritating to have bought a book only to realise it's nr.4 f a series. Sometimes in a series Audible with have some of the "parts" named and not the rest. surely this is something that can easily be sorted. I also find it strange that Audible sometimes only has parts of a series say nr. 1,4,and 6. If I start a series I want to listen to them all, prefurably in the right order.

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Frances wrote: "I really like using audible (both www.and the app)
One thing that really drives me crazy is that often Audible (especially audible.co.uk ) Doesn’t tell you that the book is a part of a series. It'..."

Let me just add my "hear, hear" to wanting a full series. I am one of those people who must start at the beginning and it's frustrating to get halfway through and find several books missing while the later books in the series are there. PS: I'm still waiting for books 7, 8, & 9in the Coffeehouse Mystery series by Cleo Coyle (hint, hint).

message 36: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Another small issue, I'd love to be able to edit my reviews and ratings on Audible. This came to my attention when a computer glitch somehow rated Overall and Story for me with 5 stars whenever I first downloaded the book. I'm told there's no way to go back and change this. Also, I've occasionally found over time that I appreciate a book more and wish I had rated it higher, or further reflection shows me that the book doesn't hold up over time or has deficits I didn't first perceive. But there my ratings and review stand for all time, unalterable.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1763 comments maybe a bit of a rant here, but it seems like CS at audible when it comes to books being released are a bit vacant...

many ppl are calling today about ICED - by Karen Marie Moning which still isn't available - although Amazon has it listed for audiobook sale, and one of the reps told a person who called that:

"said that the narrators used by Brilliance audio would probably not be the same narrators used by audible, so that's why it's not available yet on audible. He even went on to suggest that the author may be narrating her own book"

someone else was told that the more people who called, the sooner it would be uploaded to the system...

a straight answer on availability would be nice - I'm saving a credit for it

message 38: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup Duffy | 24 comments Dee wrote: "maybe a bit of a rant here, but it seems like CS at audible when it comes to books being released are a bit vacant...

many ppl are calling today about ICED - by Karen Marie Moning which still isn'..."

I got the CD yesterday at the book signing. I was wondering the same thing, why does it take audible longer to post? :(
BTW, the book is awesome (almost done)

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1763 comments there have been instances where I have asked when a book is going to be available to be told they have no idea and 30 minutes later it is up on the website

message 40: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup Duffy | 24 comments Dee wrote: "there have been instances where I have asked when a book is going to be available to be told they have no idea and 30 minutes later it is up on the website"

Yes, it happens a lot, I was so mad about Lover Reborn; I ended up buying the printed copy just to see the audio available a few minutes later...GRRR

message 41: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Dee wrote: "there have been instances where I have asked when a book is going to be available to be told they have no idea and 30 minutes later it is up on the website"

Similar for me. The people on the phone at Audible are always very courteous and attempt to be helpful, but when it comes to when a book is to be released they seem to have no more knowledge than I do about it. They check the website, but if it isn't there they seem to make up a plausible answer. I would absolutely love better intell.

message 42: by Seth (new)

Seth Jones (Sayeth) | 20 comments Are there any plans to make Amazon gift cards spendable at Audible? If so, would it be available by this Christmas?

message 43: by Audible.com (new)

Audible.com (Audible_com) | 273 comments Hi Jeanie, Lupdilup, and Dee, I apologize for the difficulty you had in finding Iced by Karen Marie Moning - it was frustrating for us, too (it’s now available here: http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B009SD...). Like any store, we occasionally experience unforeseen issues with our products that delay their release. If and when you do come across an issue like this, please email the goodreads-support@audible.com email address so we can better keep you informed.

message 44: by Audible.com (new)

Audible.com (Audible_com) | 273 comments Hi Jeanie and Frances! Thanks for the feedback on series. We try to mark every series addition that comes into our store, and we have dedicated series pages for all the books that are available.

If books from a series are missing, there could be several reasons why – for example, the audio hasn’t been produced. We are always working to fill in any gaps, and if there are any books or complete series you’d like to see, please send an email to content-request@audible.com.

message 45: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Audible.com wrote: "Hi Jeanie and Frances! Thanks for the feedback on series. We try to mark every series addition that comes into our store, and we have dedicated series pages for all the books that are available.

..."

Thanks, Audible, for the reply. *runs to go send email requesting books 7-9 of Coffeehouse series*

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1763 comments Thanks for the feedback - i think my fustration came from the multiple stories that people were reporting on different msg board threads about why there was a delay (see my comments in 37).

message 47: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1006 comments Dee wrote: "Thanks for the feedback - i think my fustration came from the multiple stories that people were reporting on different msg board threads about why there was a delay (see my comments in 37)."

That's the benefit of having Audible here...getting answers directly from the company in a timely manner...a huge benefit to our group. Thanks Audible!

message 48: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3412 comments I am constantly requesting books at content-request@audible.com. I really do feel like I am pestering them, but they insist they want our requests! I always have to mention where I live too.

message 49: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments I probably should ask elsewhere, but how can I find out when the latest Royal Spyness book, "The Twelve Clues of Christmas" will be available in audio? I knew the release date for the print book was Nov. 6 and, having been spoiled by so many simultaneous audio releases--assumed it would be on Audible that day. But, alas, no. So, will it be out in time to be one of my November buys in the Buy 4 Get $10 promotion?

message 50: by unknown (new)

unknown (joeleoj) Chrissie wrote: "I am constantly requesting books at content-request@audible.com. I really do feel like I am pestering them, but they insist they want our requests!"

I have requested a few things lately -- Audible Frontiers is producing a lot of random old sci-fi these days, so why not the titles I am interested in? But I always get the same canned response, so who knows if it does any good.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25