2018 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE: Yearly Challenges > The Members Challenge, tasks

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Oct 06, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2013

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. Each of you makes your own task. We'll have as many tasks as we have submissions.

Rules:
1. One task per member, and each task should require no more than one book be read
2. Member must be an active member of the group by January 1, 2013
3. Member must set up their challenge goal thread for 2013 by January 1, 2013
4. The working list of tasks will be posted on December 15; the list will be final on January 5.

Submit your tasks in this thread. We will work with you to make sure the task is clearly worded.

Example:
Kara's Task: My name is pronounced "KAH-ruh," but many people say "KAIR-uh." Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. For more on heteronyms, click here. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

message 2: by Toni (new)

Toni | 263 comments Toni's Task: My name can be used for a male or a female. Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex. Some examples of names are: Toni/Tony; Carol/Carroll; Pat; Jamie; Dawn/Don; Alex; Randi/Randy; Leigh/Lee; Jordan; Wallis/Wallace; Keri/Cary, etc.

message 3: by Nathan (last edited Oct 09, 2012 04:13PM) (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) ooo, good one Toni!

Trev's Task: My name is one I chose for myself. Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name.

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (nolifequeen) | 167 comments I already have one for yours Trevor!

Alexandra's Task: I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change.

message 5: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 773 comments Neat idea!

Karina's Task: My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade.

(Examples: Neuromancer (Hugo award, 1985), The Color Purple (Pulitzer, 1983)

message 6: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 760 comments Here goes mine:

Johanna´s Task: I am looking for a place of my own right now, so I will (hopefully) be moving out soon. Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time.

Example: Slammed, The Host, Fallen...

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Great tasks everybody! This is going to be an awesome challenge! :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Melissa's Task: The meaning of my name is "honey bee" .. find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

message 10: by Sasha (last edited Oct 23, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Sasha (fearal) | 15 comments Sasha's task: I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis >.<

Some suggestions: pretty much anything by Haruki Murakami, The Master and Margarita, The Russian Debutante's Handbook

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Sasha wrote: "...or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis >.<..."

haha, Sasha! That's a great task. :D

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments Just to clarify, Sasha, for the translation option: You can read any book in a language translated from Russian, Japanese, or English, right? So if you read, say, Spanish, you could read Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal even though it was written by an English rather than American author?

message 13: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Here's mine

Joanne's task: My favorite monster is a vampire. Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

message 14: by Candiss (last edited Oct 28, 2012 08:02PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) | 937 comments Candiss's task: My father's parents were both children of Hungarian immigrants to the US. He learned to speak Magyar in the home before learning English at school, but he passed away when I was 6 years old, and there was no one left to teach me the language. Yet I have always felt a strong connection to Hungarian culture and have sought out books about the country and by Hungarian authors.

- Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family.

A helpful list: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/36...

A helpful shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/h...

Helpful genre pages:
Genres > Cultural > Hungary
Genres > European Literature > Hungarian Literature

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Candiss wrote: "Candiss's task: My father's parents were both children of Hungarian immigrants to the US. He learned to speak Magyar in the home before learning English at school, but he passed away when I was 6..."

Great task, Candiss. Very personal, I like it. :)

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Christina's Task - I am an Army wife and mom. I've been "married to the military" for 15 years now and have been through 3 deployments with my husband (who is a medic).

Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind. Could be a parent, sibling, lover, etc

message 17: by April (new)

April (boopy510) | 26 comments This past year has been a very difficult one for me.

Read a book about someone who goes through a difficult time but comes out on top.

message 18: by Sharon (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 704 comments Ok, I am from a big family, I am the 2nd of 8 kids.

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families.

Here's a link: http://www.abebooks.com/books/large-f...

Maybe I'll read this one, since I was a big fan of the movie growing up
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Awesome tasks guys!

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ashley's task: I am married to a medical student. I hear stories about medicine all the time. Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction.

Ex: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Still Alice

message 21: by Kai (last edited Nov 08, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) Kai's Task: Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory).

1Q84  by Haruki Murakami American Gods by Neil Gaiman Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

message 22: by Melanie (last edited Nov 12, 2012 03:05PM) (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments Melanie's task: I have completed my Masters in Library and Information Science. Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library.

Examples: Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library! by Eth Clifford Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi Lirael (Abhorsen, #2) by Garth Nix

message 23: by Gina (last edited Nov 12, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

Gina Gina's task: My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and my Master's Degree is in Elementary Education. Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.

Psychological thriller:
The Witness by Nora Roberts The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Psychological Dilemmas:
Twelve Months by Steven Manchester A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1) by Dave Pelzer The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh The Pact by Jodi Picoult House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Teacher:
11/22/63 by Stephen King Teacher Man by Frank McCourt

message 24: by Diana S (last edited Nov 12, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

Diana S | 52 comments Diana's Task: I love to "cook" and consider myself a "Foodie".
Read a book from the genre of Culinary/Foodie fiction.

ex. The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark, The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella, The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb | 258 comments Barb's task: Music and art are big deals in my family, and I love reading mysteries and books set in Pennsylvania, my home state. Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania.

Art & Artists in Fiction
Fiction Involving Art
Music Fiction
Mysteries Set in PA

message 26: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments You all are so creative! What awesome tasks. I'm really looking forward to this challenge next year.

And keep 'em coming!

message 27: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georginathelibrarian) Melanie beat me to the librarian one, so I shall go with my favourite genre!

My undergraduate dissertation discussed golden age crime fiction rules and if Agatha Christie broke too many of them.
For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime.

Some examples can be found in this list here: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/46...

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Georgina wrote: "My undergraduate dissertation discussed golden age crime fiction rules and if Agatha Christie broke too many of them"

OH MY GOD that is so cool! I love Agatha Christie. Sweet task, Georgina. ;)

message 30: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (nolifequeen) | 167 comments Ellie wrote: "Ellie's task: I enjoy making lists for planning and organizing. Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule."

You and me both! I am thoroughly going to enjoy reading a book for your challenge!

message 31: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) April Lyn's task: My husband and I have a heart for the impoverished. Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction.

message 32: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 810 comments I'm going to be a little boring with mine, but at least it'll be easy :)

Lilac's task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way.

message 33: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments There's still time to post tasks! We have some great ones so far, and I'm looking forward to even more.

And for those posting tasks, don't forget to create your personal challenge thread for your task to be included: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 34: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) | 937 comments A question: With several of the challenges in this group, the instructions state that we choose the number of books we want to attempt for the particular challenge. Will this one be the same, or are we to aim for completing all the tasks? Depending upon how many members submit tasks by the end of the submission period, this could be a lot of books, and I'm fairly positive I'm not a fast enough reader to complete them all along with other challenges.

message 35: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Dec 11, 2012 12:08PM) (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments Great question, Candiss. It will be the same as a lot of the other challenges: you choose how many tasks you want to complete.

message 36: by Cherise (new)

Cherise (mousycherise) Cherise's Task - I've been suffering from medical problems for a few years now. Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history.

Examples: The Fault in Our Stars, My Sister's Keeper, ect.

message 37: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments I'm sorry to hear that, Cherise! That's a really great task, though--so many possibilities.

message 38: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ JenniferJ's Task:

Most folks consider 13 an unlucky number but I believe the opposite. Since the year 2013 is coming up my task is to either

Read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR-
Read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title.

message 39: by Cherise (new)

Cherise (mousycherise) Kara wrote: "I'm sorry to hear that, Cherise! That's a really great task, though--so many possibilities."

Thanks Kara. Luckily, it's nothing overly serious, unlike the examples might seem. Sadly, there isn't much out there for Fibromyalgia. I figured that it would be a good insight in to lives that their illness becomes a big part. Or, maybe to learn about a time period with a big epidemic. Because I'm a history buff and have to include it for those who want to go that route. xD

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy (AmyTay07) Amy's task - I am a procrastinator so...

Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already!

message 41: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 810 comments I like that one, Amy! :)

message 42: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei (goodreadscomlorelei_reads) | 397 comments My name is Lorelei. There is a legend about a siren called Lorelei on the Rhine River in Germany.

Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

message 43: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 96 comments Ok, My name is Ekaterina and my nickname is Kattibrie which is a variation of Cattie-Brie's name in R.A. Salvatore's books.

So my task is: Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

message 44: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) | 174 comments Hi everyone, My name is Audrey and I am a genealogy buff.
My task would be to read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy read a book about a topic that has arose in your research. For example, I have Quaker roots that go back to the Underground railroad so I could read a book about escaping slavery in pre-civil war America. Or I could read a book on the Irish Potato Famine if my ancestors came from Ireland. Wide open but should be fun. Good luck.

message 45: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Audrey wrote: "Hi everyone, My name is Audrey and I am a genealogy buff.
My task would be to read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy read a book about a topic th..."

That is so cool! Great task.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Fun task! I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel. A short(ish? LOL) history: My husband was in the army for 6 of our married years and we were stationed in Texas, Colorado and England. Of those places, Colorado was my favorite. However, while we lived in England I was able to visit a few places in Europe, such as Belgium, Germany and Ireland. Of those, Belgium holds very fond memories for me. Someplace I have longed to visit is Hawaii...maybe someday.

Now, instead of asking you to read a book that takes place in any of the places I have named, I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live. Any genre, take your pick!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Grrr, Goodreads is acting up and I accidentally posted my task twice and it won't let me delete the second one, no matter how many times I click "delete."

message 48: by Nathan (last edited Dec 16, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "Grrr, Goodreads is acting up and I accidentally posted my task twice and it won't let me delete the second one, no matter how many times I click "delete.""

Got it! No problem. :) Also, what a good task!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Trevor wrote:
Got it!..."

Thank you!

message 50: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3767 comments I'm really excited about this one! You all have come up with great tasks.

I'll be compiling the tasks in the next couple of days. If you would still like to contribute a task, please feel free! I'll keep accepting them through the end of the year.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.