Plotline and Theme Debates > Character Killoffs

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Debate character killoffs here.

message 2: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
It might come as a shock to some, but I LOVE charactr killoffs. Pretty much every plot I envision in my head includes the death of at least one important character. They keep the story unpredictable, realistic, and emotional.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be funny, to see what you envision :P

message 4: by ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak}, Fickle Maiden (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:32PM) (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 112 comments Mod
I LOVE it when a character gets killed, provided its done well. If I really like them, and their death was emotionally tugging to the point where I'm brought to tears, it's extremely enjoyable. And I know that sounds weird but come on bad things happen to good people that's all there is to it. They do not all make it through. I think the only character kill off that I actually hated was (view spoiler)

The Mighty Katara I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to reread that part.

But on the topic of character kill offs, I like when it's unpredictable as to who is going to make it. Character kill offs that I found heart-breaking and cool were the Book Thief's(view spoiler), A Series of Unfortunate Events's(view spoiler), and Divergent's(view spoiler).

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) The Mighty Katara wrote: "I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to reread that part.

But on ..."

I'd forgotten any of those characters died. Hahaha, I actually tend to like a good character kill off. See Warbreaker for an example of a fascinating bunch of interesting character deaths. Or G.R.R Martin's books are interesting for that too.

The Mighty Katara Jonathan wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to ..."

Yeah, well, The Book Thief's character kill offs left me miserable and in tears for the rest of that night. It's hard to forget that haha.

But my oldest brother told me that G.R.R. Martin kills his characters off pretty regularly. He also told me that Warbreaker has a pretty tragic end, if I'm not mistaken. Is Warbreaker the one with the immortal who wakes up with no memory of who he is? Or am I completely off?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to reread that part.

But on ..."

I agree with all of the character kill-offs listed, they were pretty heart breaking and had me in tears for a while. But sometimes when the author kills of one of my fave characters I get ticked. Like the whole (view spoiler) thing. How was that necessary?! He was just so...awesome. Oh well. Anyways my thoughts are there's a 50/50 chance that the kill-off is a good decision and a 50/50 chance the author failed miserably.

The Mighty Katara LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to ..."

I agree 100% with this comment :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, maybe we do agree on some things;)

The Mighty Katara It would seem so :)

message 12: by JazzyJams (new)

JazzyJams | 46 comments Sometimes I'm good with killing off a character. Sometimes I do occasionally wish the main character would die so then it would be interesting. It's like when a character is in danger, but you know they'll live because there's another two books in the series... It kills the suspense when you know they'll make it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

JazzyJams wrote: "Sometimes I'm good with killing off a character. Sometimes I do occasionally wish the main character would die so then it would be interesting. It's like when a character is in danger, but you know..."

Yeah, that is one of the unfortunate things of a story being told in the first person, so if you know that there is more books to come then you know they will survive. Sometimes I wish they would just die and the rest of the book be told from someone else's view. :)

message 14: by JazzyJams (new)

JazzyJams | 46 comments Emily wrote: "JazzyJams wrote: "Sometimes I'm good with killing off a character. Sometimes I do occasionally wish the main character would die so then it would be interesting. It's like when a character is in da..."

Haha, I know the feeling. It would definitly be a change. Although sometimes the author can't make the main character die without being attacked by fans. It's like at the end of Harry Potter. You know the guy will live because if Harry's dead, there is no story, and millions of fans would be like "WHY!?!" It would be worse than when a much-loved minor character dies...

The Mighty Katara Emily wrote: "JazzyJams wrote: "Sometimes I'm good with killing off a character. Sometimes I do occasionally wish the main character would die so then it would be interesting. It's like when a character is in da..."

I've thought that many times :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Like a multiple POV book but the main character tells the first half of the book, and then they die and the next character takes over for the rest :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "I agree about Finnick's death. I didn't even catch that he died. I think it was a little later when Katniss mentioned how he was dead, that I was like, "What???" I had to ..."

I really liked Warbreaker, even though sometimes the multiple POV thing got a bit too much :D

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I love multiple POV and follow them easy enough so that was fine for me. yeah Katara Warbreaker is that novel with the immortals who don't know who they are. And yeah a sort of tragic ending but not too bad.

message 19: by Charity (new)

Charity (Charryk) | 5 comments I always struggle with killing off a main character. You don't want to ruin the book for the reader, but you don't want anyone's survival to be guaranteed.

I have a weakness for using false deaths--where the reader believes a character is killed (like with Gandolf in LOTR) but then the character comes back later. Does anyone else do this?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Just going to say it...I am the Queen of killing of my characters lol. I mostly kill off my main character, and I do it because the story just leads me there to be honest.