Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > October 2012: Newest on To-Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:40PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Polling for October's theme has ended, and the winner is Newest Book on Your To-Read List*!

So now it's time to choose a book for you to read in the upcoming month; if you're going to comply with the theme, you'll want to check your shelves to see which book is the most recent addition to your to-read shelf or shelves--within reason, of course. If you can't get your hands on your most recent add, whether you simply don't have access to a copy or it hasn't even been published yet--go for the most recent addition that you can reasonably read.

If you want to discuss the book with others who have chosen it, remember to create a new thread in the proper folder and attach the book to it!

If you simply can't stand the thought of reading the book you most recently shelved as "to-read", head on over to the Theme Rebels folder and tell us about what you're reading instead.

If you don't have anything on your to-read shelf, feel free to browse the books everyone else is reading through both the thread below and the group bookshelves. You may also be interested in such Listopia lists as What to Read Next and similar.

And don't forget to vote for November's theme. The poll for December's theme will appear on October first.

Happy reading, everyone!

ETA: We will be testing a new optional feature in October, which you can read about here. For all those interested, I'd love to hear your ideas and feedback over there so we can get some rough-draft rules set up by the first of the month. :)

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Hey Amara, just a note about the HTML on the page. "the group bookshelves" is the color of the links but doesn't appear hyperlinked (for me, anyways).

Don't know for sure if it's just on my end or if a tag got missed somewhere :)

message 3: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Tiffani wrote: "Hey Amara, just a note about the HTML on the page. "the group bookshelves" is the color of the links but doesn't appear hyperlinked (for me, anyways).

Don't know for sure if it's just on my end or..."

Ah, thanks for catching that. Typo on my part--wrote "rhef" instead of "href", lol. All fixed now!

message 4: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments My most recent to-read shelve additions are The Notebook and The Fault in Our Stars, but I've slated those as challenge reads for next year. Next, then, are Horse Heroes and Stallion by Starlight, which aren't published yet.

So I'll be rereading Oedipus Plays of Sophocles (Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone) this month.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm apparently going to start by reading some books I just picked up at the library sale!
Tinkers
Music Through the Floor
Black Odyssey: The Case of the Slave Ship `Amistad'

message 6: by Liza (new)

Liza | 28 comments I'm reading a few things right now. Mini Shopaholic. Audio book.

Zahrah the Windseeker - For this months theme.

Shadow Sport kindle

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen (icingsugar) | 47 comments Do we read the newest book on our to-read shelf now or the newest book that's on the shelf on October 1st?

message 8: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Helen wrote: "Do we read the newest book on our to-read shelf now or the newest book that's on the shelf on October 1st?"

That's completely up to you. ;)

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna It looks like The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz first. Then A Discovery of Witches. If there is still time Sweet Tooth. But, I am sure I will only be able to complete the first two. :)

message 10: by Jayme (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Jayme I will be reading The Little Book by Selden Edwards that is my most recent TBR book. On October 1st I will see what my latest book is and try and read that mid month.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I will be reading I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali and The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

I'm excited for the push to read books I might've shelved for many months (years, haha) otherwise.

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) looks like I will be reading a lot of my free books on my Nook from Barnes and Noble. Finally!

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) and a lot of them are books and authors i have never heard of but looked good. no more popular books for me, except for Bel Canto, which i will be reading for another group.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Alison wrote: "and a lot of them are books and authors i have never heard of but looked good. no more popular books for me, except for Bel Canto, which i will be reading for another group."

That's what most of the books on my Kindle are. They were a lot of free books by new authors or lesser known books (to me, anyways). But, I loaned out the Kindle to my Mom for awhile so I'll have to revise my list a little and read the newest print book from my to-read list! :)

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 63 comments Currently reading Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins with some reading buddies. :o)

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I will be reading The Sheltering Sky The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula (eden1013) I'll be reading Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) by J.A. Konrath and Deeper Than the Dead by Tami Hoag . That may be all I have time for.

message 18: by Beate (new)

message 19: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 33 comments I'll be reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd , then The Time Machine by H.G. Wells .

message 20: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) I belong to several book trading sites and have lots of items in the pipeline. I think I'll wait till Monday, Oct 1st and see what comes in the mail that day. If none then the next day. Little bit of a surprise!

message 21: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane My To Read shelf is a reference tool, rather than a list of stuff I actually have pending - more of a wish list.

This being the case I'm going to clear my stack of library books and then read the 6 books bought at an amazing 2nd hand bookstore I found whilst I was on holiday in Yorkshire.

So my first read of the month is The Watchers A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I by Stephen Alford , all about treason, spying and intrigue during the 1500s.

message 22: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Linda C wrote: "I belong to several book trading sites and have lots of items in the pipeline. I think I'll wait till Monday, Oct 1st and see what comes in the mail that day. If none then the next day. Little bit ..."

Sounds fun, Linda! :)

message 23: by Andrea "Drea" (new)

Andrea "Drea" I will be reading The Elephant Tree,Love in the Time of Cholera and French Silkstarted all today.

message 24: by Dana (last edited Sep 30, 2012 08:57PM) (new)

Dana Crouch (Callaway) (bookknurd) | 101 comments Looks like I'll be reading Shadow Magic, which luckily just got rereleased in paperback, since I definitely don't want to do an ebook.

Edit: Technically, my newest addition to my To Read list is Sailor Twain. However, the library doesn't have this in yet. I have requested it when they do, but who knows if that will be before October is over. Onward!

message 25: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (arielizabeth) | 2 comments I will/am reading Good Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I'm quiet exited about this one actually.

message 26: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane Finished with The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I, a very interesting read.
I have 2 other books set during the Elizabethan period to read but thought I'd come forward in time a little first with The Outlaw Album a collection of short stories by the author of Winter's Bone.

message 27: by Eruwenn (last edited Oct 01, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

Eruwenn | 67 comments I'll be reading something. I'm not sure yet.

Essentially I'll be finally letting my Kindle catch up with all the free books I've gotten over the past month, and then I'll try to make some headway into that.

(Looks like I might be a good candidate for a 'pick it for me' challenge!)

message 28: by Candace (new)

Candace | 59 comments I'll be reading The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln. My in-person book club chose this as our next read, so it was the most recent addition to my GR to-read shelf as of this morning. Two birds with one stone, as they say!

message 29: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) Ashleigh wrote: "I will/am reading Good Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I'm quiet exited about this one actually."

I loved that one! It was my introduction to Neil Gaiman and I have loved everything of his I have read since.

I will read Nation and see later in the month what else qualifies!

message 30: by Jana (last edited Oct 01, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Jana (jana_marie) | 26 comments Dana wrote: "Looks like I'll be reading Shadow Magic, which luckily just got rereleased in paperback, since I definitely don't want to do an ebook."

Me too! This will be my first Patricia C. Wrede (whom you've recommended to me in the past). I, on the other hand, and thrilled to get it in eBook since I can get it from the library for free!

Update: Hmm...library doesn't have it afterall (this is what gloating gets you), so I'll instead be reading the next two books on my list since I already own them: Flora Segunda (Flora Trilogy, #1) by Ysabeau S. Wilce and Gossamer by Lois Lowry

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa The newest book on my list on 10/01 was Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger so I will be reading that one first. When I get that one read I'll check and see if I can find the next one anywhere. The next one on my list is The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann and its not in my library so I'll have to do some looking around for it.

message 32: by Rosemary (last edited Oct 01, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

Rosemary The newest books on my list are (newest first):
Proust in Love by William C. Carter
The War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa
The Mao Case by Qiu Xiaolong
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

There are a couple of long ones there so I don't expect to get beyond those four.

message 33: by Chelsi (new)

Chelsi | 12 comments Ill be reading Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna Ashleigh wrote: "I will/am reading Good Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I'm quiet exited about this one actually."

I read it recently and LOVED it! I wish I had read it sooner!

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 54 comments I will be reading "Savage Continent" by Keith Lowe.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 9 comments My very newest, Libera Me won't release until Oct. 30.
But I have two, 1 I just acquired via Amazon free Kindle copy; the other is also free today, although I bought it months ago. So for the Oct. Next on my TBR list theme:
Gravity
and
Mad About Undead You: A Zombie Apocalypse Love Story (nice Halloween-ish theme going there LOL)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be reading The Cutting Season and The Night Circus. Happy reads everyone!

message 38: by Michaela (new)

Michaela (michaelarae1) I will be reading The Mysterious Affair At Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen . Super excited about both of them!

message 39: by Dana (last edited Oct 01, 2012 05:39PM) (new)

Dana Crouch (Callaway) (bookknurd) | 101 comments Jana wrote: "Me too! This will be my first Patricia C. Wrede (whom you've recommended to me in the past). I, on the other hand, and thrilled to get it in eBook since I can get it from the library for free!

Update: Hmm...library doesn't have it afterall (this is what gloating gets you), so I'll instead be reading the next two books on my list since I already own them: and "

It might actually be for the best. I know that
Shadow Magic is one of her earlier books (if not the earliest), and I've heard that her early stuff isn't as good/polished/whatever. I'd recommend starting with Dealing with Dragons or Thirteenth Child, both of which I have and will gladly send your way (when/if you want them)!

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments Looks Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job" is it for me!

message 41: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I just finished The Sheltering Sky. While it is almost impossible to like the main characters, who are disaffected, dysfuntional expats, the vivid descriptions of the North African landscape and the description of Port's descent into fever and delirium during his illness were intriguing. I really liked the first two sections of the book(4 star).The last section was somewhat confusing and almost made me drop the rating down.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Robin wrote: "Looks Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job" is it for me!"

I'm waiting to for this book to arrive from the book swap site I'm on. I can't wait to get to read it finally.

message 43: by Liza (new)

Liza | 28 comments Looks like I'll be reading either Just One Look or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. What choicds lol.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been looking forward to October and moving on to a new theme. I'll be reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and then Joseph Anton: A Memoir, and if there is enough time, The Prisoner of Heaven.

message 45: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 54 comments I am starting "The Gardner Heist" as well. It is my newest download on my Nook. I dont add those to my tbr shelf.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 35 comments Ever since I saw that this might win for the theme I have been self conscious about what I put on my to - read shelf. For that reason and becasue my most recent to read was put there after another book club i am in i will be going with the newest book on my shelf when i first noticed that it was a potential topic. Long preamble just to say i will be reading Cannery Row by Steinbeck. This is also a good pick becuse it is currently the only book on my to read shelf that I own. I mostly use that shelf to try to remember books for my next trip to the bookstore.

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 35 comments Janet wrote: "I just finished The Sheltering Sky. While it is almost impossible to like the main characters, who are disaffected, dysfuntional expats, the vivid descriptions of the North African landscape and th..."

I agree with you about that one. I read it ages ago and remember thinking that the characters were self absorbed but I love the authors descriptions of the landscape.

message 48: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane The Outlaw Album was very impressive, I will reading more of his stuff as & when I come across it.

A couple of train rides and a wait in a hospital meant that I also blazed through some more Tudor plotting and wrong-doing in the shape of The Sorcerer's Tale Faith and Fraud in Tudor England by Alec Ryrie - very well written and actually very funny in places.

Next on the list is Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) by Chuck Wendig as I've been very impressed by the majority of the stuff I've read published by Angry Robot.

message 49: by sarah (new)

sarah I'm still reading Anna Karenina (Centennial Edition) by Leo Tolstoy , so I won't get as many in this month. I do plan on reading J.K. Rowling's new novel, The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling , and then either The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht , Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2) by Colin Meloy or The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes .

message 50: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 63 comments I will be reading Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.