Start by marking “Just One Look” as Want to Read:
Just One Look

Just One Look

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  28,429 ratings  ·  1,614 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by Dutton (first published 2004)

Phrynne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
Four stars from me for being a totally gripping and enjoyable read. One of those books I didn't want to have to put down when real life invaded my reading time.

There were a few snags though. Coben switched frequently around a number of points of view and storylines. It was clever and effective in furthering the plot but I felt it often slowed the build up of tension overall. Just as we got to a critical point for one character we would be carried away to find out what was happening to another on
Jonetta
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick Summary
It was an ordinary day like any other but from the moment when Grace Lawson picks up her pictures from the photomart, her life was never the same.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The story actually begins with a surprising admission from a prisoner serving a life sentence for murder. That sets off a chain of events that reaches back 15 years to the present.

The mystery
Since it is a mystery, I can't tell you much more. What I can say is I was off balance for most of the book. There
fivethousandbooks
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Although it was still a decent read much like his other novels, it could be time for Coben to change a little of his formulaic writing. The plot in this novel is so confusing that the last two to three chapters were devoted to explaining it all. It almost felt like the rest of the novel were just fillers.
Weinz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: brainless thrillseekers with time to kill
Why is it when people hear you enjoy reading that they automatically assume that you read the same books they do? A neighbor reccomended this one. I don't think the friendship will survive. I may have to move.
 Li'l Owl
Just One Look by Harlan Coben is a masterpiece of spellbinding, nerve wracking edginess, and heart pounding exhilaration that will leave you weak in the knees!
Warning! You will not want to put this one down!!

Just one look is all it takes sometimes to set your world tilting into the unknown.
"there are those moments when your life simply unravels. A loose thread pulled. A seam gives way. The change is slow at first, nearly imperceptible.
For Grace Lawson, the unraveling began at the Photomat."
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was slow for me at first but
Man oh man towards the middle I couldn't put it down! All of the connections with the characters and then the twist at the very end made me feel like I was right there with the family. Great book! Coben never fails!
Connie
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Johnson
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I decided on this book so I could use it for my A-Z challenge since I love Harlan Coben and I have not yet been disappointed by anything that he wrote. I really enjoyed this book just as much as other ones. I love the writing style and all the mystery. He is just a pleasure to read.

Synopsis
Love Fool
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him. When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without explanatio ...more
Angie
Wow! Where has Mr. Coben been all my life? This is my second book to read of his and they have both been heart-pounding and can't-stop-reading!! I will be steadily working my way through his offerings.

This thriller starts out with a housewife picking up some photos from a local shop. Little does she know her life will soon explode into chaos. The ramifications of a 'wrong' photo placed in her pack are far-reaching and criss-cross all over the place. You are kept on the edge of your seat as the
Marleen
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: harlan-coben
Despite the rather convoluted plot I enjoyed this read immensely. It’s Harlan Coben’s talent for portraying compelling and likable characters that drew me in. I sympathized with Claire and Jack Lawson. There’s no doubt in my mind that the man, the Jack, that Claire knew all this time, as her husband, was a truly loving husband and a cherished father to their two kids, Emma and Max. No doubt at all.
I enjoyed the juxtaposition between suburban life and the popping up of questionable characters lik
Yigal Zur
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
l look at the big pile of Coban books on my shelf. do i have really something to say about them? do i remmber any? well. yes one of his first novels which called in the woods or similar. it was brilliant. all his other good read but so so. means averge.
Angie
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Harlan Coben manages to snag your attention within the first few pages of his books and then reels you in like a helpless fish until you are so ensared in the story that there is no way you can put the book down until you reach the end. This book is no exception!

I will admit that there were a few parts in this book that were slightly far-fetched, but then again, reality can be a bit far-fetched sometimes. Overall, it was another great suspense story from Coben. If you enjoy his books, you will
Jenny
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just One Look is the first book I have read of Harlan Coben. I was surprised, and I enjoy Just One Look. The twist and turns of the story and the fantastic ending ensure me to read another book from Harlan Coben. Just One Look highlighted the consequence of greed and how it affects everyone. I enjoy in Just One Look having a strong female main character who was determined to find out the truth. Just One Look also makes the readers think about Internet security. I recommend this book.
Strawberry Fields
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I see mixed reviews on this book, but I am of the opinion that it was exceptional. I have come to love this author. His characters are always so unique. The mysteries are so complex, it makes me wonder how he comes up with all this stuff??

Ok, so I quit giving book reports a long time ago, and you can read the synopsis yourself right here on Goodreads so I will forego all of that. What I will say is that typically of Coben, you never see the end coming. Usually all the questions are answered and
David
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was one of Coben's best books - if not THE best. First it grabs the reader's attention with a prologue in which a killer who is about to be executed admits to an Assistant US Attorney that he killed his sister (not the crime for which he is being executed)

Then it launches into the main story, when an ordinary middle-class wife and mother discovers a picture of what looks like her husband in a context in which she would not expect to find him. Then the confrontation and then the disappearanc
Diana D
Книгата има добър замисъл, идеята е интересна, но някак си, ми се стори леко повърхностна като съдържание и стил.
Паралелно се разказват няколко истории, които допълват основната сюжетна линия.
Някои моменти бяха доста хаотични.
Имах по- големи очаквания, може би заради вълнуващия на пръв поглед синопсис, но всъщност в повечето случаи ми беше доста отегчително.
Историята се върти около една мистериозна снимка, а последващите действия и всеобща параноя са още по- загадъчни, и тъкмо очаквах нещо шант
Misty
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Harlan Coben book: a nice, quick read.

Overall, 3.5.

Some of it seemed a bit outlandish, but that’s what made the book.
Suzanne
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
My mind was all over the place with this one, what was happening? Where did that person go? But what about him? Another awesome delivery from Mr Coben. Man this guy is good. I am never hit and miss with this guy, he always delivers and does so with style.

Grace was quite the woman here, trauma survivor and all round pretty cool chick. Quite the sleuth too which is good for her as she is facing an almost impossible task of finding her beloved, and facing many traumatic memories along the way.

I lo
Emily
Mar 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book seemed to have good reviews, but I didn't enjoy it that much. It moved pretty slow and I felt there were wasted pages. I hate to give bad reviews, but I don't think I would reccommend this one.
Albert Felixovich
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ընտիրություուուն! Բոոոոոմբ!!!
Պատկերացնում եմ՝ ինչ թույն կինո կարելի էր նկարել էս գրքի հիման վրա, եթե լավ ռեժիսոր ռաստվեր))
Սկզբից ամեն ինչ քեզ թվումա պարզա, սկսում ես կասկածել ինչ-որ մեկին, ու համոզված ես, որ վերջում հենց քո մտածածնա լինելու: Բայց չէ, էս էդ դեպքը չէր: Ինչքան կարդում ես, էնքան ավելի խճճվում ես, որտև շատ խառնա ամեն ինչ: Ու մինչև վերջին պարբերությունը չկարդաս, չես իմանա, թե ինչա էղել իրականում: Բառիս բուն իմաստով ՎԵՐՋԻՆ ՊԱՐԲԵՐՈՒԹՅՈՒՆԸ!!!
Մի խոսքով, շատ տպավորված եմ: Գազան դետեկտիվ
Donna
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I like Harlan Coben’s writing style. He manages to hook you from the beginning. I like his focus on the characters. He brings ordinary citizens to life in his descriptive story telling.

Overall, I liked this book, mainly because of the hook and because of the character development. However, with that being said, I was glad this book wasn’t any longer. There was so much going on. Everyone had a hand in the plot. Everyone had a secret. It was a little busy and a little far-fetched at times. I don’
Cathy DuPont
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Harlan Coben and I have no idea how I've lived this long without reading one of his books. Well, I can no longer say that since I just finished this one.

On the road so fortunately I read (listened to is more accurate) it for hours at a time.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I even listened in the car for an extra 15 minutes a couple of times.

Now that I have been anointed, I won't walk pass a Harlen Coben book again without picking it up.

The End
No spoilers

About 75 p
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I first discovered Harlan Coben about 18 months ago. I read one of books, "Caught,", I believe, and loved it. I read a second book, loved it. Mr. Coben jumped into my Top 5 favorite authors. Another novel by Coben cemented his spot. I read a fourth, a fifth, and then it dawned on me. The reason I like his books is because...well, they're all the same.

I don't mean his writing style, his characters. I mean the plot. In each and every novel of his I've read, the storylines are almost identical. New
Rachel Hall
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it

However unlikely the premise or convoluted the plot, Harlan Coben guarantees more "bang for your buck" than your average thriller author. Although my experience has so far been limited to his more recent material, he has never failed to catch - and hold - my interest, leaving me turning the pages at a rate of knots! Maybe because so many of his novels have focused on the domestic suspense market I find their similarities to the humdrum lives of suburban couples perceptive and enjoy seei
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
This was my second Harlan Coben and listened to this one because Brandie recommended it. Well, it was such a quick but good listen I am so happy I picked it up. The mystery was good. There were so many parts of it that I never could fully put it together. I was on the edge of my seat and man that ending!!! Totally got me which I love. Definitely more Haran Coben in my future.

This review was originally posted on Rebel Mommy Book Blog
Becky
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This is my first Coben book. It totally held my attention and was a pretty quick read for me. I couldn't wait to figure out who was responsible for Jack's kidnapping. While I felt for Grace who finds herself in a horrible situation, I just didn't really connect with her. She took off on her own search for her husband which seemed unrealistic to me. Especially with two children to protect. I can't imagine myself in that situation but don't think that I would have acted in the same way.

Wu was an
laura m
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: coben fans ONLY
Just read this and it's such a mess in my head right now that I can't even properly review this.
The end is incomprehensible, seems like the final twist/explanation was thought of in a rush, badly explained, I totally didn't catch all of it. I appreciate the lack of happy ending (sorry for the spoiler) where it was totally expected, in fact I didn't even predict it should end like this?
so, the end was a big fat disappointment.
SPOILERS
I was looking forward to Cora being the fifth person in the pho
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read this ENTIRE book in one long summer day! Coben definitely knows how to keep things moving.
Alisha Kennedy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Very unusual twists and turns. Never expected the ending.
  • Fear the Worst
  • Killer Instinct
  • Black Out
  • Derailed
  • The Survivors Club
  • The Blue Zone
  • True Evil
  • A Maiden's Grave
  • The Crime Writer (I See You)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Two Minute Rule
  • Death from the Woods
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
“Kids don't come with instructions. We all mess up. Raising a child is pure impromptu.” 8 likes
“You can only be strong for so long.” 6 likes