Glory Road Glory Road question

The first sci-fi book you ever read?
Carl Carl Sep 23, 2012 03:44PM
This was the first sci fi book I read, I think I was about 13 or 14 , about 40 years ago.
Don't know why I remember this. Reminds me of Kingdom For Sale .
What's your first science fiction book?

deleted member Oct 07, 2012 11:40PM   0 votes
2001 just after the film came out as I didn't understand the film at the tender age of 10. SO I bought the book, but I didn't understand that either! But it was again Heinlein for me that made me start reading Sci Fi, with Starman Jones. I still love that book ....

Nicholas Evans Sorry I did not know of any Heinlein book that had been converted to film apart from starship troopers.
Jun 17, 2013 12:13PM · flag

I used to read the science fiction books my older brother bought hoem from the library. I can't remember the first one I read, but the first one I bought for myself was 'Farmer in the Sky' by Heinlein.

My first was also by Heinlein. Have Spacesuit Will Travel-about 45 years ago. Still a fan to this day.

Rocket Ship Galileo by Heinlein when I was 11 in 1974.

I believe it was a Simak book. Can't remember the title right now. Then I went back to the library and read through the entire SF shelf at my local library (I was 12. I'm now 59.)

Heinlein for me too. Space Cadets

Anthony Land My first Heinlein read was Starship Troopers, which I read as a 17-year-old soldier just beginning advanced infantry training at Ft. Dix. What a rush! ...more
Jun 15, 2013 09:19PM · flag

The Lensman Series, Galatic Patrol by E.E. Doc Smith. I think I was 9 or 10.

The first science fiction book that I can remember reading was I ROBOT by Asimov. The first short story in that collection brought tears to my eyes with emotion, hooking me on sci-fi in general and Isaac Asimov in particular. Before that I rarely read books. @hg47

Heinlein's 'Tunnel in the Sky', Watch out for the Stobor!

I have a vague recollection of a Swedish science fiction book for children or teens as being the first one. I don't remember the name of the book or the author, since it was back in the early 70ies, but the story was about two kids who find out that their friends are aliens, and the aliens are collecting different species of animals from earth and taking them to their home planet, I think the animals there had died out for some reason.

"The War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells.

Heinlein's Have Spacesuit Will Travel in Junior high, still one of my favorite authors.

The first one I remember is Caves of Steel by Asimov. I probably read Space Cadet by Heinlein first, but Asimov is the one I remember.

My first was
M.A. Foster
The Warriors of Dawn

it was only a couple of days ago when I was updating my data on Goodreads that I discovered there was a sequel.

'Star Beast' by Robert Heinlein- I was probably eight or nine years old.

Read too many when I was younger to recall, but it was probably Heinlein, Asimov or Clarke.

Btw, really love Glory Road.

Been waiting 50 years for someone to make The Foundation Series into a movie trilogy. Given the number of remakes and comic book adaptions, both of which are completely played, you'd think someone in Hollywood would think to tee up some new material just sitting about begging to be turned into a movie trilogy. But I digress. ;)

In the 4th grade read the Mushroom Planet series (The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet 1st) by Eleanor Cameron, does that count? Otherwise, then 6th grade The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key (recently reread, still hold up well), then all by Lester del Rey (Rocket Jockey 1st), then all by Heinlein (Rocket ship Galileo 1st) in 7th grade.
Just the beginning!

I don't remember the title or editor, but it was a collection of Sci-Fi stories for young adults. I was pretty young....and wanted more Sci-Fi to satisfy my lack of new Star Wars. (My discovery of the Expanded Universe would come later)