Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) Along Came a Spider discussion

Why Alex Cross isn't liked

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Demetrius (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Demetrius Sherman Some have said they don't like Alex Cross because:
He's like a white man.
Others have said he is too perfect.
Others have said they don't like him because he is dumb or not bright.

Carina It has been a while since I read any of the books in this series but I do not recall Alex Cross being too perfect. Or at least if he was a Mary Sue it was never enough to irritate me unlike a lot of the other characters I have read.

Not sure where the whole him being like a white man thing comes from though...

Katherine I stopped reading this series because I did not like Alex Cross. It wasn't because he was perfect, actually the opposite. He made some really dumb moves. I did like his side kick (forget his name). The women's murder club is a much better series.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:37PM) (new)

Demetrius wrote: "Some have said that Alex Cross is like a white man.
I think the problem is that he is too perfect, without even a smoking habit he is trying to quit.
If he were white, he would still be an unreali..."

Its not that He's perfect, its that he is one demensional.

Carl The earlier stuff is the best, just got a bit samey.

Julie I saw Alex Cross as a loving caring man with a home life much like many others and it was very easy to identify with him on that level. To me he is a very interesting figure who is neither black, white or sky blue pink.

Demetrius Sherman Julie wrote: "I saw Alex Cross as a loving caring man with a home life much like many others and it was very easy to identify with him on that level. To me he is a very interesting figure who is neither black, w..."

He has many likeable traits. There are many black men like Ben Carson for example, who made something out of themselves, with the help of a mother or family member who believed in them. Cross has Nana Mama who is realistic. But Cross should have a bad habit he finally kicks later on.

Demetrius Sherman Katherine wrote: "I stopped reading this series because I did not like Alex Cross. It wasn't because he was perfect, actually the opposite. He made some really dumb moves. I did like his side kick (forget his nam..."

I would like Cross to be like Sherlock Holmes or Virgil Tibbs. Human, but genius

Demetrius Sherman Demetrius wrote: "Katherine wrote: "I stopped reading this series because I did not like Alex Cross. It wasn't because he was perfect, actually the opposite. He made some really dumb moves. I did like his side ki..."

His sidekick's name was Sampson. And Cross doesn't seem to be any brighter in the movie it seems. Looks like "Cape Fear" with a white guy going after a black family.

message 10: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport

Demetrius Sherman Lemmy wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Okay, good comment. What can I say?

message 12: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Demetrius wrote: "Lemmy wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Okay, good comment. What can I say?"

I understand why people don't like him much though, his moral compass is just too straight

Demetrius Sherman Leon wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Lemmy wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Okay, good comment. What can I say?"

..."

Yes, Holmes is a genius and a hero. But he is arrogant and has a cocaine habit when he is bored.
I wrote a few online pieces on Cross and Holmes.

Louis I really like the Alex Cross book. I thought it was great having a black man as the star instead of a white man. It gave a new sense of humour to it. I really like how he is portrayed. I really enjoyed Along Came A Spider. Alex Cross is definitely up there with Jason Bourne and Holmes.

Demetrius Sherman Hi Louis.
I like a black heroes also. Please read what I wrote and tell me if you agree or not http://shermandemetrius.blogspot.com/

Louis Demetrius wrote: "Hi Louis.
I like a black heroes also. Please read what I wrote and tell me if you agree or not http://shermandemetrius.blogspot.com/"

Hi Demetrius,
I really like that. Especially the part where it talks about you are better than any white detective..
What was this 'essay' for may I ask?

Demetrius Sherman Katherine wrote: "I stopped reading this series because I did not like Alex Cross. It wasn't because he was perfect, actually the opposite. He made some really dumb moves. I did like his side kick (forget his nam..."

To be honest with you, I read a few Alex Cross books and was upset that he wasn't smart. Someone told me " if you don't like it, why don't you write one?" So I created Sheridan Hope a black Brit as smart as Sherlock Holmes--because he is Sherlock Holmes.

Tawanda Harris I'm trying to figure out why does he need a bad habit. I'm a big Alex Cross fan, have read every book and I think his bad habit is his job. There have been times when he's wanted to leave, but he's drawn back in every time which puts his family at risk, so his bad habit is his job.

Louis Demetrius wrote: "Louis wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Hi Louis.
I like a black heroes also. Please read what I wrote and tell me if you agree or not http://shermandemetrius.blogspot.com/"
Hi Demetrius,
I really like th..."

I haven't been able to buy the books at the moment..... but I will eventually.. :)

Demetrius Sherman Tawanda wrote: "I'm trying to figure out why does he need a bad habit. I'm a big Alex Cross fan, have read every book and I think his bad habit is his job. There have been times when he's wanted to leave, but he's..."

If you put it that way, that he's a workaholic or perfectionist and it's a flaw, then that makes sense and is a valid and intelligent point.

Demetrius Sherman Demetrius wrote: "Tawanda wrote: "I'm trying to figure out why does he need a bad habit. I'm a big Alex Cross fan, have read every book and I think his bad habit is his job. There have been times when he's wanted to..."

You can say then, that his compulsive behavior is a "bad habit"

Demetrius Sherman Tawanda wrote: "I'm trying to figure out why does he need a bad habit. I'm a big Alex Cross fan, have read every book and I think his bad habit is his job. There have been times when he's wanted to leave, but he's..."
Holmes had flaws. People don't seem real without a flaw or bad habit, and if Cross isn't flawed in some way that we can live with, he won't seem real and many readers would be turned off by this.

Louis Demetrius wrote: "Louis wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Hi Louis.
Hi Demetrius,
I really like th..."

Ohh ok.. :) thank you.. :)
Cool Beans..

Malcolm I don't read Alex Cross books because Patterson likes to shoot too far in the "darkness" category ... he's ok with kids being killed, torture, etc. ... I don't think he's a terrible writer or anything ... but his books always go a little too far for me ... I like to read to escape and have SOME tension, not feel a little sick about the failings of humanity.

Demetrius Sherman Malcolm wrote: "I don't read Alex Cross books because Patterson likes to shoot too far in the "darkness" category ... he's ok with kids being killed, torture, etc. ... I don't think he's a terrible writer or anyth..."

stories of kids being killed in the news has always depressed me, so I understand. Along Came a Spider does open with kids killed and gore in the first few pages. There is a lot of ugliness in Patterson's books.

Demetrius Sherman Malcolm wrote: "I don't read Alex Cross books because Patterson likes to shoot too far in the "darkness" category ... he's ok with kids being killed, torture, etc. ... I don't think he's a terrible writer or anyth..."

Maybe Patterson didn't want readers to say, "you have white washed Urban America" so he shows crime and gore. Or he didn't want black women readers to say "this is phoney" On the other hand, things in the book can be wild and unrealistic.

Alice Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Leon who is the author of the "Bosch" books? Very familiar with and love Lucas Davenport, but would like to get to know Bosch (maybe). Thanks.

Demetrius Sherman Louis wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Louis wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Hi Louis.
Hi Demetrius,..."

I edited my short story "The Inventors Game" its 99c on Amazon. (see link above)A Black Sherlock Holmes

Louis Alice wrote: "Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Leon who is the author of the "Bosch" books? Very famili..."

If that is as in Harry Bosch.. it is Michael Connolly.. :)

Demetrius Sherman Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

I looked at a Bosch book and I like that type of writing also. I'll look for Davenport. But would you give us what these have over Alex Cross?
Thanks.

Alice I got my first "Bosch" book today but have read all the Davenport's. As for Cross I had to put him on the back burner after Mary, Mary and went to the Women's Nurder Club. I have yet to go back to Cross and for some reason I doubt I ever will. Especially now that Walter Mosley has another very good detective series out.

Demetrius Sherman Alice wrote: "I got my first "Bosch" book today but have read all the Davenport's. As for Cross I had to put him on the back burner after Mary, Mary and went to the Women's Nurder Club. I have yet to go back t..."

Have to agree with you and others here. I can easily leave Alex Cross and get wrapped up in other stories.
The ones people suggested on this site are very good stories.

Kathy The Cross books jumped the shark for me with the kidnapping of his girlfriend and baby and subsequent rescue. He doesn't seem to be solving cases so much as reacting to the criminals obvious attempts to antagonize him. And any normal person would have moved his family out of that neighborhood or installed some security features after becoming such a high profile target of multiple psychos.

message 34: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn I had read all the Alex Cross books and loved them, last one was about the gangs of kids etc. Gave the series a rest and just recently purchased all the ones written since my break. I'm hoping to enjoy them as much as the rest.

Demetrius Sherman Kathy wrote: "The Cross books jumped the shark for me with the kidnapping of his girlfriend and baby and subsequent rescue. He doesn't seem to be solving cases so much as reacting to the criminals obvious attem..."
Yeah, I wish it wasn't personal with Cross. That he solved a crime with his brains. click this link below and tell me what you think
http://shermandemetrius.blogspot.com/

Demetrius Sherman Alice wrote: "Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Leon who is the author of the "Bosch" books? Very famili..."

Saw that you read a Patterson book titled "Private London" and that title made me curious. Will check it out and/or your review.

Brian Benson Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

I like both of them more too...

message 38: by Adam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adam I stopped reading these novels because I got tired of the killer always being a cop.

Demetrius Sherman Adam wrote: "I stopped reading these novels because I got tired of the killer always being a cop."

Are you a cop? Just wondering. Was the killer a cop in most of the stories?

message 40: by Adam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adam Demetrius wrote: "Adam wrote: "I stopped reading these novels because I got tired of the killer always being a cop."

Are you a cop? Just wondering. Was the killer a cop in most of the stories?"

No I'm not a cop. About 4 out off 5 of his novels it's a cop.

Demetrius Sherman Adam wrote: "Demetrius wrote: "Adam wrote: "I stopped reading these novels because I got tired of the killer always being a cop."

Are you a cop? Just wondering. Was the killer a cop in most of the stories?"

N..."

I was thinking that if so many stories end with the cop being the killer, then this would get tiresome for many readers and they also would move on? Or are they okay with this?

message 42: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman I think he's a little too cardboard sometimes. Although, Morgan Freeman did a good job.

Check out my webcomic, updates every Thursday: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/

Demetrius Sherman Redd wrote: "I think he's a little too cardboard sometimes. Although, Morgan Freeman did a good job.

Check out my webcomic, updates every Thursday: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/"

That cartoon on your site was hilariously brilliant.
Check out my comments on black detectives
http://shermandemetrius.blogspot.com/

Linda S. I used to love Alex Cross but he has fallen victim to the James Patterson brand. As just about the only one of his books he actually writes alone I feel robbed of late. His Alex Cross stories are thin, short on ideas, and printed on just about the biggest font possible to fill 300 pages, when each of the last 4 or 5 books would barely fill 100.
I don't read his collaborations. The writing is second-rate at best, and I'll no longer be buying his Alex Cross novels either. I don't like to be short-changed.
And I can't say I find him (Alex Cross) too white or too perfect either.

Linda S. Demetrius wrote: "Alice wrote: "Leon wrote: "I actually like him, but only if I read a book every month or two. I prefer detectives with an edge, like Bosch or Davenport"

Leon who is the author of the "Bosch" books..."

Michael Connolly is the author the the 'Bosch' stories.

Demetrius Sherman Linda wrote: "I used to love Alex Cross but he has fallen victim to the James Patterson brand. As just about the only one of his books he actually writes alone I feel robbed of late. His Alex Cross stories are t..."
Yes, "short on ideas". One poster stated the killer is always a cop.
As for length, I can take a good shorter detective story. "The Thin Man" "The Maltese Falcon" and "Lady in the Lake" are all short. So its quality not quantity with me.
Could you take a good,original tale that is short?

Linda S. I don't mind a shorter story as long as it has the content. I'm with you on quality but the recent Alex Cross stories lack both quality and quantity.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel he's writing them as if he already has the next book lined up and ready to go. And, that's not a good thing. Possibly he's spreading himself too thin?

Demetrius Sherman Linda wrote: "I don't mind a shorter story as long as it has the content. I'm with you on quality but the recent Alex Cross stories lack both quality and quantity.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel he's writing the..."

Don't think its just you. Patterson started a new character, forget his name, but just like in Alex Cross, someone is after the good guy's family. I think there's too much "Cape Fear" psycho after the family myself.

Linda S. I know Wilbur Smith has a franchise deal with his publisher. He has so many ideas and not enough time to write them, so they pay him for his ideas and someone else writes as a collaboration. Possibly Patterson has the same deal too?

Demetrius Sherman Linda wrote: "I know Wilbur Smith has a franchise deal with his publisher. He has so many ideas and not enough time to write them, so they pay him for his ideas and someone else writes as a collaboration. Possib..."

But as you and others stated Patterson is "short on ideas" and writes the same thing.
Now me, I have so many ideas and not enough time to write them. I have so many ideas in my head its coming out of my ears and getting on my shirt.

« previous 1