P.S. I Love You (P.S. I Love You, #1) P.S. I Love You discussion

Who has read the book and seen the movie?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 193 (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Reilly I have just recently ordered this book because my library doesn't have it!

I have seen the movie a million times and have LOVED it. Can anyone tell me how the movie stacks up? I am going to read the book regardless, I just want to know some thoughts.

Nicole I read the book before I saw the movie, and I have to say that they're almost entirely different. The biggest difference is the location of the book, and the letters that she got. I loved the book so much more than the movie, and I cried through most of it which, was really sad, but I loved it and I really hated the movie because I felt it took this amazing story, and sort of butchered it. There was no reason for them to change to setting and the characters, but they did and for me that makes it totally different.

Reilly Nicole wrote: "I read the book before I saw the movie, and I have to say that they're almost entirely different. The biggest difference is the location of the book, and the letters that she got. I loved the book ..."

Okay, good to know! I usually try to read the book first and 9.5 times out of 10 love the book so much more than the movie, so I think this is going to be an interesting experience. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Kavin THE BOOK <3 amaaazzzzinnng :)

Samirah The book was amazing but the movie really sucked

Diane Ok, the two do differ.... a tad, didn't find the differences that extreme, other than location. I loved them both - the book and the movie. And on my trip to Ireland I made sure to visit the Wicklow Mountains - they were captivating! Mountains, Fields of Lavender, etc....

it's one of my favorite girlie flicks!

Rachael The book is amazing. After watchin the film I was forced into buying the book by my best mate, who said the book was better. She was right and I have been addicted to reading ever since. I have cecelia Ahern to thank for gettin me into reading!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I saw the movie before reading the book. I love both the movie and book equally! Own both and still cry thru both of them.

Cynthia I read the book & really liked it. The movie was different from the book. I think if I had never read the book I would have liked the movie more. The movie is a good chick flick.

Deepa Loved both. Book was definitely better.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim The movie is one of my favorites....and I watched it before I read the book. Because I so love the movie I just hated the book for all its differences to the movie. I couldn't finish the book. This is the ONLY time this has ever happened for me. Typically the book is better.

Beluky I watched the movie and then I read the book... I loved both... but they are really different! Don't read it thinking in the movie... try to read it as a new story!!

message 13: by Jax (last edited Sep 25, 2012 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jax Book and film are both good, but as you'll know reading books allows you to venture into your own imagination and invent how you're characters look!!! The film was really great too. I mean who doesn't like Gerard Bulter!!!! Both are tear jerkers :-)

Deanne Wilsted I agree with all of the other comments that the book was amazing (I went in search of more by the author as soon as I finished it) but the movie just didn't do it justice. That is always so sad for me as there is nothing better than a movie that actually adds context to the book. I am thinking Hunger Games here... loved both the book and movie, but really loved the way they supported each other becuase of the difference in POV.

Priyanka Agrawal I agree with ya all. The book was really much amazing compared to the movie.The movie seriously sucked!

Reilly Good to know! I look forward to reading the book even more so now!

message 17: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Adored the book, hated the movie.

Marla The book was way better that the movie. Absolutely hated the movie.
Then again, I am very hard pressed to name a movie that I have enjoyed more than reading the book. =)

Pixiepops I watched the movie first and have to say I like it I lot more than the book, which is probably a first for me.

Rhutushri Modhvadia The book was amazing but the movie was really bad

Ashley Smith I saw the movie first. Cried during the movie and LOVED Jared Butler as the male lead. The book however was wonderful. I have reread it countless time's and cry everytime I read it. I agree that there was no need to change the setting of the book and the story in general, but I do love the movie but if I had to chose the book was better as always.

Samirah Ashley wrote: "I saw the movie first. Cried during the movie and LOVED Jared Butler as the male lead. The book however was wonderful. I have reread it countless time's and cry everytime I read it. I agree that th..."

The only good thing about the movie was Gerard Butler

Kaushik watched sum clips from d movie...den read d buk nd den watched d whole movie:)

Jessica I may be one of the only ones who truly hated the book. I couldn't find ANY emotion in the writing at all; it was really disappointing because I found the movie heart-wrenching. I can't say I've picked up a Cecilia Ahern novel since. It has been awhile since I read the book but to me, I was severely disappointed by it.

message 25: by Blueberry (new) - added it

Blueberry I'm with you Jessica. I enjoyed the movie but I do not like the author's sytle at all. Have read other books of hers also for book clubs. Ditto.

message 26: by Lore (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lore They cut the best part in the movie, I mean, the part in the club was so hilarious! That was the part I was looking forward to in the movie... And then I found out they cut that part, sucked ! I liked the story in the book so much better, although I think she overused the sentence 'I miss him so much'! I realize it's essential in the story, but mentioning it on every page was a bit too much !

Melanie I saw the movie, fell in love with it, and then read the book. I really didn't like Holly from the book - and I loved the way Hillary Swank portrayed her. Very different, but I'm one of the few that like the movie better.

Jacqueline haha totally forgot that I saw that movie until
I saw all the post and looked it up. Yes I did like the movie alot. But I think I love the book more! Just finish it and it seemed like a totally different story. i think you can enjoy both if you just don't try to compare them

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Love, Love, Love the book! I did not have high hopes for the movie, as book to movie movies are never as good as the book. The movie is good enough, and as someone else said, if I had never read the book and only saw the movie, I would have thought it a good chick flick!

Martha Washam You will love the book. I don't normally go for books that are going to make me cry, but I couldn't put this one down.

Nouran Gamal i read the book first and was completely disappointed by the movie, i know books are usually better but this one is WAY better, the book is one of my all time favorites and the movie was below average for me

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the book a few years ago and saw the movie two months ago. I don't remember much of the book (I borrowed it from the libraby) So I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed both ;)

Amanda I read the book years ago and then saw the movie when it came out on DVD. As always I remember the book was better ( I didn't really notice any changes from the book but I read so long ago I wouldn't remember specific details) but I have figured out that the best way to approach watching a movie that is based on a book is to forget that it was a book and try to enjoy the movie for what it is and not get wrapped up in the details of it.( Although, I must admit for me this can be a tough task!)The best example of this is Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper; I read the book and loved it, I saw the movie and it was completely different than the book, they changed the ending and I was left thinking why on earth did you do that?

As an avid reader I always like to read the book first and then see the movie. There have only ever been two instances where I thought the movie did the book justice "the Reader" and "The Help"/

Ashley Smith Amanda wrote: "I read the book years ago and then saw the movie when it came out on DVD. As always I remember the book was better ( I didn't really notice any changes from the book but I read so long ago I wouldn..."

I agree with you. I am also an avid reader and alway's try to read the book first. The Help was wonderful as a book I cryed at the ending and the movie was wonderful to. I watched it twice and cryed both times. The only other book to movie that I was so disappointed in was "The Other Boyln Girl" the book was great but the movie was so horrible that I didn't even finish it!

message 35: by Michelle (last edited Oct 02, 2012 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle I read the book and then saw the movie. There are many differences and as it usually is, the book was better.

Niyati Rughani i read the book before watching the movie, i loved the book, cried a lot..
bbut the movie i must say is dissapointing.

message 37: by Jeni (new)

Jeni I saw the movie and was really put off by it. To be clear, I'm just not okay with the story line. I will readily admit it is quite possibly some weird genetic make up I was saddled with, but I was pretty repulsed by the whole concept.

I haven't ever desired to read the book because I dislike the idea so much.

I read everyone's comments about how good the book is and, normally, I would change my mind and read the book anyway, but I am seriously creeped out by the whole thought. I'm sorry that isn't a glowing review, but I can't help it! I was born this way! :)

Ashley Smith Jeni wrote: "I saw the movie and was really put off by it. To be clear, I'm just not okay with the story line. I will readily admit it is quite possibly some weird genetic make up I was saddled with, but I was..."

Jeni I understand that "you are just made that way" but what could possibly creep you out that someone would love you so much that thye would write you letter's to help you coup with there passing. I my self think it is sooo sweet and would hope some one loved me that much. Oh well we all have our one thought's but that just struck me that you said you were "creeped out".

Michelle I also thought it was sweet to leave behind for the person!

Niyati Rughani Jeni wrote: "I saw the movie and was really put off by it. To be clear, I'm just not okay with the story line. I will readily admit it is quite possibly some weird genetic make up I was saddled with, but I was..."

I think more then anything you are creeped out by the fact that it's a not so happy ending book, a lot of times I have felt repulsed by such books where I know that the end is a heart break! I at times can't read such books as I feel they would effect me !! :)

Reilly Patti wrote: "I read the book a few years back, saw the movie when it came out on DVD. Loved the book, loved the movie a bit more because of the Ireland location. Although, them getting stranded on the raft at..."

I agree with you Patti, Thanks for the Memories was also a great book. Same kind of odd story line but awesome nonetheless.

Nadya saw the film first....although it is good it barely resembles the book which is a shame

Chanouel Jessica wrote: "I may be one of the only ones who truly hated the book. I couldn't find ANY emotion in the writing at all; it was really disappointing because I found the movie heart-wrenching."

I feel the exact same way. Loved the movie, hated the book. I agree, there didn't seem to be any emotion in the book compared to the movie.
It was my first and last book by Cecelia Ahern.
Every time I read a book that is made into a movie, I always prefer the book. This is the only instance where I liked the movie better.

Reilly AND I AM FINISHED!
My thoughts:

I still pictured Holly as Hilary Swank and Gerry as Gerard Butler, but the book took it to so many different places! Her family was involved, it was set in Ireland - no USA, they went to Spain for vacation, her friends got engaged and pregnant, she found a job she loved. I feel like the book may have provided a more holistic picture, but Gerry and Holly still argued over turning off the light. AND she did not fall in love with the bar guy (Harry Connick JR).
Even if you have seen the movie, I recommend the book for a little something different!
I have to agree with the lack of emotion. I bawled my eyes out in the movie, and I only teared up a little bit when the book followed Gerry writing the letters to Holly and she calls in the 5 minutes she's gone to tell him she loves him.
Cute story.

Asousa Cried like a baby .. both for the movie and for the book! not advise people sensitive

message 46: by Jeni (new)

Jeni Niyati wrote: "I think more then anything you are creeped out by the fact that it's a not so happy ending book, a lot of times I have felt repulsed by such books where I know that the end is a heart break! I at times can't read such books as I feel they would effect me !! :) "

Actually, I think (the movie) ended quite happily. She moved on and found happiness again. The creeped out part is that her dead husband keeps reminding her via letters how happy they were and he is now gone leaving her a wrung out and emotional wreck.

Ashley wrote: "Jeni I understand that "you are just made that way" but what could possibly creep you out that someone would love you so much that thye would write you letter's to help you coup with there passing.

I can clarify further. I don't want to open letters from my dead husband. I don't think this is a good way for me to cope with his death. Sitting down and writing a series of letters to send me after he's gone is creepy and selfish on his part. I don't want that. Write one letter, pour your heart out in it and give it to me while you're still alive so we can enjoy it together. Now, I have a happier memory of the end of his life rather than the finality of his death. The idea of getting letters from dead people freaks me out. This is just my opinion.

I also don't like manipulative stories where only one emotion is an acceptable response to a book. I feel cornered and cheated out of deciding how to feel about it.

So, since the movie evoked these thoughts in my mind, I just felt like the book would be even more so, since it's how it usually works. But, since so many fine folks really liked it, I'll give it a whirl. :)

Bookworm Me but the book is way better!!!! They cut out way 2 many characters!

Bookworm Nicole wrote: "I read the book before I saw the movie, and I have to say that they're almost entirely different. The biggest difference is the location of the book, and the letters that she got. I loved the book ..."

OMG!! I feel exact same way!

message 49: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M I loved the book and was not sure they could pull off a movie. I was pleasantly surprised...The scenery was beautiful. I went to Ireland for my honeymoon so I think thats why I was partial to the movie...I always think a book is better though, I like to use my imagination..

Felgona Adhiambo I read the book a long time ago but after watching the movie. I don't remember much from the book but the movie I've watched like a million times and I love it! I want to get the book and reread it to see how it stacks up to the movie.

« previous 1 3 4