The Sword and Laser discussion

The Eyes of the Dragon
This topic is about The Eyes of the Dragon
What Else Are You Reading? > The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments I started reading this just this past week and haven't been able to put it down. It took about 50 pages to start to get really good, and the narrator's voice takes a bit of getting used to.

This is *NOT* your typical Stephen King novel. It's pure fantasy, and if you liked The Dark Tower series, you'll probably enjoy this book as well.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
I read it years ago because of its ties to the dark tower. Really enjoyed it. I'd also recommend it.

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6100 comments I wish he would write a straight sf.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

What about11/22/63? Is that more alternative history than sci fi? It's a time travel book and not horror as far as I know (haven't had a chance to read it yet).

Melissa | 65 comments Rob wrote: "What about11/22/63? Is that more alternative history than sci fi? It's a time travel book and not horror as far as I know (haven't had a chance to read it yet)."

Yeah, 11/22/63 is time travel. I don't know if I'd call it alternate history. I won't say more for fear of spoiling it! It was the first Stephen King novel that I've read, and I enjoyed it. It was long, but pretty good.

I have the sample for the Eye of the Dragon on my kindle, so I'm looking forward to reading it once I'm done with my re-read of Towers of Midnight.

I'm not sure if the Dark Tower is something I would enjoy though.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Rob wrote: "What about11/22/63? Is that more alternative history than sci fi? It's a time travel book and not horror as far as I know (haven't had a chance to read it yet)."

I haven't read that one either. It's on my list.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Melissa wrote: "Rob wrote: "What about11/22/63? Is that more alternative history than sci fi? It's a time travel book and not horror as far as I know (haven't had a chance to read it yet)."

Yeah, 11/22/63 is time..."

If you enjoy fantasy, you'll probably enjoy The Dark Tower. It truly is a masterpiece, and really isn't horror at all (though it has many elements of horror). I've read up to the fourth book so far. Book IV was a bit slow and hard to get through, but I've been assured by my wife that the series picks up after that.

I wasn't sure about reading the eyes of the dragon because I hadn't heard anything really good about it. I've owned the darn book for over 20 years and never opened it. :) And here I've been missing a great story all this time.

message 8: by terpkristin (new) - added it

terpkristin | 4118 comments It's on my "to-read" list. I am much more a sword than laser, but after loathing the first couple books in The Dark Tower, I almost gave up on King. Thankfully, The Stand won me over. I hope to get to The Eyes of the Dragon this year.

Oscar Climent | 4 comments I read this book years ago, and like it so much that just reading the title brings back a happy feeling in me. Definitely reading it again!

Daran | 599 comments I read Eyes of the Dragon back in high school. I have to admit it's one of my favorite King books. It reads a lot like a fable or a folktale.

I've never liked the Dark Tower series, though in fairness I've never been able to make it past chapter two of book one. There's no attempt to grab you in the in the beginning.

King often uses sci fi in his stories. The Mist, The Stand and The Tommy Knockers all use sci elements, no matter where they go. I wouldn't expect a hard science fiction novel out of him. It wouldn't be to his strengths as a writer, but he's very good as using it as a portal to the dark places of possibility.

message 11: by David Sven (last edited Sep 21, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Daran wrote: "I've never liked the Dark Tower series, though in fairness I've never been able to make it past chapter two of book one. There's no attempt to grab you in the in the beginning."

Skip the first book, its the earliest and there's a gap between him writing that book and the rest. Start on book 2. After or during reading book 3, you may or may not want to return to book 1 as there are references to events (or non events) in the original book. I appreciated the first book more as I read through the series.

message 12: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Rob wrote: "What about11/22/63? Is that more alternative history than sci fi? It's a time travel book and not horror as far as I know (haven't had a chance to read it yet)."

Its sci fi. The whole premise is a rip in the space time continuium that allows the lead character to return to a specific date in the late 1950's.

Toward the end of the book you'll find out how and why the hole exists and it gets very sci fi at that point as well as connecting the book into the DT series (not that you need to have read other DT books as it stands alone but DT book readers will have some ah-ha moments).

Daran | 599 comments David Sven wrote: Skip the first book, its the earliest and there's a gap between him writing that book and the rest. Start on book 2. After or during reading book 3, you may or may not want to return to book 1 as there are references to events (or non events) in the original book. I appreciated the first book more as I read through the series.

I'll have to try that. Should be easy, I've got the first four in boxed set somewhere

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Daran wrote: "David Sven wrote: Skip the first book, its the earliest and there's a gap between him writing that book and the rest. Start on book 2. After or during reading book 3, you may or may not want to ret..."

I don't get it... I loved the first book. Couldn't put it down. And it's short, so it's a fast read.

I actually found the fourth book the hardest to get through so far because It's mostly back story.

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6100 comments I stalled on book 2 where the guy was in the plane. I should get back to it someday.

message 16: by William (new)

William Bylaska I was looking into the character Randal Flagg and on his wiki page they describe the following read order for the King novels that feature him.

The Stand > Eyes of The Dragon > Dark Tower

Anyone recommend this order?

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6100 comments You don't read the Walkin' Dude. He reads you.

message 18: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Tamahome wrote: "I stalled on book 2 where the guy was in the plane. I should get back to it someday."

Did you get as far as Roland getting on that same plane?

Thomas wrote: "I don't get it... I loved the first book. Couldn't put it down. And it's short, so it's a fast read."

I loved the first book as well. I like the device he uses where you keep going back in time. But the other books were written a lot later when his writing was improved, and the first book was originally intended as a single standalone story. The rest of the series while faithful to the first book, don't really rely too heavily on the first.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Darren wrote: "That series is up and down, for me. Some of the scenes are so horribly written, and others are just so powerful. For example, the "banter" between Blaine the Train and Roland's posse put me off the..."

It always amazes me how different people see different books. For instance, I thought The Waste Lands was an amazing book, and Wizard and Glass was dull. Took me a very long time to push myself through Wizard and Glass.

But I think this is the case with all King books. They are love em or hate em.

I haven't read the other Flagg books yet (other than DT 1 through 4), but I do want to read The Stand some day. My wife tells me it's very good.

message 20: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 23, 2012 05:58AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6100 comments David Sven wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "I stalled on book 2 where the guy was in the plane. I should get back to it someday."

Did you get as far as Roland getting on that same plane?"

I got to where Roland was talking to the drug dealer...

Brayanna (revengesrose) I LOVE this book! In high school a friend read it aloud to me (we lived in a small town with not much to do). I have reread it so many my copy is in tatters. I love how the whole book is told as if you are sitting by a fire have this story spun before you. I haven't read a lot of other King but this is one of my absolute favorite books.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Rose wrote: "I LOVE this book! In high school a friend read it aloud to me (we lived in a small town with not much to do). I have reread it so many my copy is in tatters. I love how the whole book is told as if..."

I found the voice took a little getting used to. But yes, it's very different, and makes it interesting. It's not your typical King novel.

message 23: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Darren wrote: "That series is up and down, for me. Some of the scenes are so horribly written, and others are just so powerful. For example, the "banter" between Blaine the Train and Roland's posse put me off the series for years, it was so bad. I really had to work to get through The Waste Lands. "

To each their own. The Waste Lands is my fav King book and one of my fav books of all time.

message 24: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love books 2-4, 4 being my favorite. I like the other books in the series, including book 1. It's the first real series of books I read growing up. It felt like an eternity between book 4 and 5.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 633 comments Books 2-4 are my favorite. Blaine the train is insane.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 2 comments Just started reading the DT series. Just got through book 4. Will have to put this on the to read list for later.
Loved the Stand and his Maximum overdrive short story.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments I really liked Eyes of the Dragon. It's a very typical fairy tale type story told in a very atypical way. I especially liked the character of Naomi, who's a good illustration of this as a whole. She's the standard Plucky Girl of the Peasant Resistance, but she chomps down on huge cigars. I just remember thinking what an awesome image that was, like an earlier version of new-BSG Starbuck.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Joe wrote: "I really liked Eyes of the Dragon. It's a very typical fairy tale type story told in a very atypical way. I especially liked the character of Naomi, who's a good illustration of this as a whole. Sh..."

Ohh I haven't met Naomi yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for her. :)

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments So I finished it, and I must say: What a fantastic book. Loved it, right to the end. :) I actually regret not having read it sooner.

Nicklaus | 10 comments Read it years ago when i was in my second year of highschool *our school library had ALL King's novels then, gods know why!* and it remains to this day not the most "Stephen King"-y book i've read, but the one i prefered, and by FAR. I just don't like most of his usual stuff, even though i recognize merit where it's due. Second to that would be "Storm of the Century" and, being literally a script, it's even weirder to get into, but GODS did i like it.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Nicklaus wrote: "Read it years ago when i was in my second year of highschool *our school library had ALL King's novels then, gods know why!* and it remains to this day not the most "Stephen King"-y book i've read,..."

I agree. It was certainly very different from King's usual style. But I *am* a fan of his work, and this book was no exception. :)

message 32: by James (new)

James Kramer | 8 comments Always wished he had done some more exploring in this universe. His prose was so different, almost a simple storytelling voice. King could have definitely expanded this into a series. Also my go to book when my wife wants me to read her to sleep :)