Urban Fantasy discussion

OTHER TOPICS > Varied reading sequences ? The reading order you choose?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments I'm curious as to whether people will intentionally vary the style and genre of the books they read. In other words do you have some kind of pattern of books that you choose?

Like for example, after I read one of Charlie Huston "Joe Pitt" Books, I try to follow it up with something lighter b/c the Joe Pitt books are so grim and violent.

Anyway, I've often wondered whether other people have some kind of reading pattern whether intentional or unconscious.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 13 comments I tend to read by my mood. Sometimes that means I'll read a couple of dark or fluffy books in a row, sometimes I go back and forth. The one thing that's almost always true is that I don't read multiple books in a series or by the same author in a row. Part of it is that I don't want to burn out on something I enjoy. But I also like knowing that I've got a treat for later if I needed it. (I often save books I'm really looking forward to for a special occasion or a moment when I really need a pick me up.)

message 3: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I agree with Becky. I can't read series books back to back to back either. I need at least a week between them but it's usually months (or sometimes even years) between. I also try to switch up what I read - mystery, then romance, then horror and/or paranormal, and back to mystery etc. Though there is no set genre order - it's usually just whatever I need to read to complete a reading challenge. I just mix it up some.

I find I get rather bored with the same genre if I read them back to back. Again I go for the light and fluffy after (or before) the intense suspense or thriller type books. Otherwise I get kind of in a rut and find I dislike the second or third "similar" book but mainly because I'm tired of reading the same general theme again and again. I can't help but compare the current book with a previous one but if a little time (and a few books) pass between, then I assume I'd enjoy them more.

message 4: by Mary C (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:53PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments The only pattern I have is that I tend to have multiple books going at once. I usually have them all in separate genres. Then whatever one I pick up at any given time depends on my mood.

Like right now I have the following books going:

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President: print book for my book club

A Confederacy of Dunces: audiobook in the car.

Compromised Hearts: fluffy historical romance that just entertains me to read.

In the Blood: mystery that requires some concentration.

I normally try to keep it down to 3 (1 audio, 1 kindle, 1 print)so I will probably focus on finish a couple of them before I let myself start another.

For the most part I am a mood reader. Sometimes I'll read several non-fiction books in a row or maybe a few urban fantasy books. But it's rare for me to stick to one genre more than 2 or 3 books in a row before I need something different.

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments I'm kind of a mood reader. If I'm not in a certain mood, I can't read certain books. Also, I'm a one book at a time reader.

I like to read series straight through, but I don't do that as often as I used to. Only if I really, really love the story do I do that anymore.

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 233 comments I try not to read two similar books in a row. I find that if I do, I enjoy the second book less.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Becky wrote: "I tend to read by my mood. Sometimes that means I'll read a couple of dark or fluffy books in a row, sometimes I go back and forth. The one thing that's almost always true is that I don't read mu..."

Ditto, word for word!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Barbara ★ wrote: "I agree with Becky. I can't read series books back to back to back either. I need at least a week between them but it's usually months (or sometimes even years) between. I also try to switch up w..."

I agree!

message 9: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fables | 3 comments There are only a two or three genre's I enjoy reading.

However, I have a more scattered approach to reading books in that I read two or three books at a time.

I tend to read a different book in a different setting.

The audiobook I listen to when I am at the gym, is different to the book I read when I commute for work.

There's no particular order to my reading. I just read what interests me.

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I pretty much read one book at a time.

I don't usually listen to books.

So that I read the last two Kelley Armstrong books in the Otherworld series at the beginning of this month was a delight. It meant I didn't forget big plot and character developments from one book to the next. I'm sorry it's over, but I'm glad of my extended time there in that uiniverse.

I will consciously read a contemporary novel or novels (or graphic novels in this case) before beginning another urban fantasy, say. I read & loved Persepolis The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi and Persepolis 2 The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi before starting The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2) by Tanya Huff ...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I used to read by mood and what I was craving. Right now I'm trying a by month thing. I have a lot of genres and a huge tbr list so this seems to help me not get stale and stuck on one genre and get more knocked down, if that makes sense. Haven't been doing this long so will see how that works out.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Talía wrote: "I love to read Isabel Allende's books, in fact i love all kinds of hispanic literature, so every time i read one of those books, the second i finish, i start reading something lighter, maybe a come..."

I agree that I always need a 'lighter' book after reading one of Allende's books. Her stories are very compelling, but there seems to be a lot of description.

Have you ever read One Hundred Years of Solitude? That is another one of my favorites.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

It varies completely with my mood, so I haven't really noticed any specific pattern. I can go from reading PNR to Historical Romance over Dark Erotica and ending with YA!

I have no issue reading a series back to back either--sometimes I even enjoy it more! I hate to stop a series while I'm enjoying it. I have noticed though, that if it's a very long series (such as 10+ books), I usually take a break after around 3-4 books to mix it up. Sometimes I keep a few series going parallel so I can have them quite fresh in my mind while still mix it out with something else as well!

Like Mary, I've also noticed I often have at least two books going at once and often also from different genres (or as I said before, series). It's nice to have something that'll always appeal to your reading mood at hands! I also don't get stuck and go days without reading that way.

message 14: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments I'm trying to get into the habit of reading a series close together. I've had to reread books lately to remind of what happened already.