Aussie Readers discussion

102 views
Archives > October Challenge - Graphic Novel OR A Book from a Friend's List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
This month gives you the opportunity to read a Graphic Novel, or if you would prefer, you can pick a friend and choose a book you haven't read, but would like to, from their READ list!

Photobucket

Some links to help with graphic novels:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/33...


Photobucket

"A friend is one who walks in when others walk out" - Walter Winchell

Photobucket

A friend link:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/67...

Maybe you can combine the two...a friend with a graphic novel....

Photobucket

Whichever you choose, read and ENJOY!!


message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
I'm going to start here with my book for October...I actually borrowed it last night, it's on my friend Steve's list, AND it's graphic!!

The Complete Maus The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman by Art Spiegelman It was winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1992.


message 3: by Sabina (new)

Sabina (ms_delirium) I'm not big on graphic novels so I'm going to pick a friend or two (or four) and read a book of theirs that they liked.
I already have Under the Never Sky in my Spring challenge as a book that my friend Pauline has read and gave 5/5 rating for, so I'm going to cross that over here too. Plus a few others as well.

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi and Spark (Elemental, #2) by Brigid Kemmerer from Pauline's list of read books.
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare from Miss J's list of read books.
Fury  by Shirley Marr from Taneika's list of read books.
Speechless by Hannah Harrington from Hannah's list of read books.


message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I chose Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

My friends Stephanie and Beth both read it.


message 5: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments I'll jump in on this one with White Oleander and Choke, both off the same friend's list.


message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 20, 2012 01:15AM) (new)

I'll start with Headhunters on Morris's list
and Rebecca on Sharon's list.


message 7: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 1044 comments Good excuse to re-read a favourite

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel The Exile An Outlander Graphic Novel by Diana Gabaldon Diana Gabaldon


message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Looking good guys:)


message 9: by MarciaB (last edited Sep 20, 2012 03:29AM) (new)

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under | 225 comments I'm not really into graphic novels - just not my cup of tea. But, I'm choosing Half Past Dead by Meryl Sawyer from my friend KarlynP's read shelf.


message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Marcia wrote: "I'm choosing Half Past Dead by Meryl Sawyer from my friend KarlynP's read shelf."

That sounds really good Marcia...I've not heard of that author before!


message 11: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Zoey wrote: "Good excuse to re-read a favourite

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic NovelThe Exile An Outlander Graphic Novel by Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon"


Ooo I like the look of that Zoey :)


message 12: by MarciaB (new)

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under | 225 comments Brenda wrote: "Marcia wrote: "I'm choosing Half Past Dead by Meryl Sawyer from my friend KarlynP's read shelf."

That sounds really good Marcia...I've not heard of that author before!"


Yeah Brenda, I hadn't heard of her either. I'm always game to try out new authors in the romantic suspense genre, so thought I would give her a try :-)


message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Marcia wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Marcia wrote: "I'm choosing Half Past Dead by Meryl Sawyer from my friend KarlynP's read shelf."

That sounds really good Marcia...I've not heard of that author before!"

Yeah Br..."


I'd love to know what your thoughts are when you're done Marcia:)


message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Bailey (klbailey) Brenda wrote: "I'm going to start here with my book for October...I actually borrowed it last night, it's on my friend Steve's list, AND it's graphic!!

The Complete MausThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman by Ar..."


That book is SO GOOD. Not sure what I'm going to read for this one yet. I think my husband would be pleased if I read Watchmen, so maybe that.


message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I'm going to start here with my book for October...I actually borrowed it last night, it's on my friend Steve's list, AND it's graphic!!

The Complete Maus[bookcover:The Complete Ma..."


That's good to know Kirsten, thanks:)


message 16: by MarciaB (new)

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under | 225 comments "That sounds really good Marcia...I've not heard of that author be..."

Thanks Brenda, I will let you know. I'm hoping to eventually start writing my own reviews on books (never done that before and am really nervous) - am busy working on my first one.


message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Count me in.

I will be reading The Yellow Birds A Novel by Kevin Powers wich is on KL's read list. :)


message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Marcia wrote: ""That sounds really good Marcia...I've not heard of that author be..."

Thanks Brenda, I will let you know. I'm hoping to eventually start writing my own reviews on books (never done that before a..."


You'll be fine Marcia. I had never written a review until I joined GR, then I started off slow, with just a few sentences...now I write one for every book I read:)


message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Count me in.

I will be reading The Yellow Birds A Novel by Kevin Powers wich is on KL's read list. :)"


Nice Michael:)


message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Michael wrote: "Count me in.

I will be reading The Yellow Birds A Novel by Kevin Powers wich is on KL's read list. :)"


That guy has good taste, so you'll enjoy that one :D


message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I'm not sure what I'll read, I'm glad we are doing a Graphic Novel challenge because I feel like it is becoming a legitimate literary format and helping people get a taste of an untried format is always a good thing.

I will search for something highly literary like; The Great Gatsby : a graphic adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald or The Complete Maus or The Complete Persepolis


message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) David wrote: "I borrowed two graphic novels from the library today so I will be reading Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood & The Story of a Return and The Kite Runner."

Wonderful choices, I'm interested to see how The Kite Runner turns out as a graphic novel


message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Michael wrote: "Michael wrote: "Count me in.

I will be reading The Yellow Birds A Novel by Kevin Powers wich is on KL's read list. :)"

That guy has good taste, so you'll enjoy that one :D"


That guy has awesome taste. :D


message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Michael wrote: "That guy has good taste, so you'll enjoy that one :D"

Totally agree


message 25: by Tien (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 601 comments Aaaah... I can't resist - since I'm planning to read this soon anyway, I might as well fit it into a challenge.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Book 1 by Denise Mina

I've read the novel (LOVED!) & I've just watched the Swedish adaptation (I might sound superficial / shallow here - it was too raw for me) last week so I'm quite excited to see how this graphic novel will turn out. I know it's not published til November - I got an eARC, woo hoo!


message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
David wrote: "I borrowed two graphic novels from the library today so I will be reading Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood & The Story of a Return and The Kite Runner."

Oooh I want to get The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel...I've been wanting it for ages:)


message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "Aaaah... I can't resist - since I'm planning to read this soon anyway, I might as well fit it into a challenge.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Book 1 by Denise Mina

I've read the novel (..."


Awesome Tien!


message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crowe I haven't read any graphic novels so wouldn't know where to start, so I am trusting my friend to choose a book for me from her list. I'll keep you posted.


message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "I haven't read any graphic novels so wouldn't know where to start, so I am trusting my friend to choose a book for me from her list. I'll keep you posted."

You could maybe borrow one from the library Melissa? But one from your friend is perfectly fine too:)


message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crowe Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda.


message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda."

Good luck:)


message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crowe Brenda wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda."

Good luck:)"


OMG, I just realised that you meant my local library (unless Goodreads has a library, which is what I thought you meant) I feel all sorts of stupid now. Is it beer o'clock yet?


message 33: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda."

Good luck:)"

OMG, I just realised that you meant my local lib..."


Hahaha!!! Yes, definitely beer o'clock Melissa;P I certainly did mean your local library! lol


message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Bailey (klbailey) Melissa wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda."

Good luck:)"

OMG, I just realised that you meant my local lib..."


It's always beer o'clock SOMEWHERE.


message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crowe Kirsten wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Oh, I didn't think of that. (Once I work out how to do that I will browse the library) Thanks Brenda."

Good luck:)"

OMG, I just realised that you me..."


Indeed Kirsten.


message 36: by Cindy (last edited Sep 21, 2012 02:21AM) (new)

Cindy | 31 comments My first graphic novel....
Have it on reserve at the local library
Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi


message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "My first graphic novel
Have it on reserve at the local library

Embroideries"


It's certainly showing there are a lot more Graphic Novels out there than I was aware of...hope you enjoy it Cindy:)


message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 31 comments Thanks Brenda..looks interesting


message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Brenda wrote: "Cindy wrote: "My first graphic novel
Have it on reserve at the local library

Embroideries"

It's certainly showing there are a lot more Graphic Novels out there than I was aware of...hope you enj..."


That one looks great, I really liked her other books; Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood & Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return


message 40: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments I will read The Passage from Hayley's list.


message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Kerri wrote: "I will read The Passage from Hayley's list."

That's one I've got on my TBR too Kerri...hope you enjoy it! Maybe you could put your thoughts in here when you've finished? My problem is the length of it...it's daunting! lol


message 42: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (sn295) | 30 comments The Keeping Place by Isobelle Carmody. It is on a friend's read list.


message 43: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Kyaputen Abby wrote: "I'll start with Virals on Mickey's List!"

Excellent story Abby:) I loved the second one too, Seizure and am looking forward to the third:) Code


message 44: by Kaylene (new)

Kaylene I'm going to read The Love Of Good Women which is on my partner Teri's read list.


message 45: by Christy (new)

Christy (mrscrich) | 216 comments I'm in too! But I too am not a big graphic novel fan, I've chosen The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan as it received 5 stars from 2 of my friends lists! I can also use this for the Spring Reading Challenge!!


message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Good choices girls, hope you enjoy them:)


message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1885 comments So many people not into graphic novels? I have always found them the perfect combination of art and books which are two of my favourite things. I will re-read Fade from GraceI think :)


message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70432 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "So many people not into graphic novels? I have always found them the perfect combination of art and books which are two of my favourite things. I will re-read Fade from GraceI think :)"

Good on you Deborah! I think graphic novels are just not as well known yet...I know I didn't know much about them until recently...it's certainly good to introduce them as something new into my reading...hopefully others will do the same as well.


message 49: by Kadi (new)

Kadi (kads) | 99 comments I'm going to choose a book that's on a friend's list. Now to search through :)


message 50: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Mansfield (issy05) | 62 comments I'm choosing a book on Brenda's read list and It's one I received this week The Hermitage House Miracle by Malcolm Ater


« previous 1 3
back to top