You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > October 2012 Challenge - Under the Harvest Moon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Janice is having October off to do real world stuff, so I am going to try and fill her very large shoes. Baptism of fire, commence!!

Under the Harvest Moon

description

The Harvest Moon is the full moon closest to the Autumn Equinox (which occurs up in the Northern Hemisphere in October). The full moon being as bright (and pretty) as it is, allowed the peasants to gather the Harvest by the moonlight. This meant they had more food for the winter and their Harvest Festivals (nom nom nom), but also they were lurking around at night while other creepy crawlies possibly were too... especially around Halloween...

So for October, the challenge is to read a book with a word for NIGHT in the title. I will allow evening, twilight, dusk, midnight as well as the straight night.

The rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may not be combined with the October Group Reads.
5. The book must be read between October 1 - 31, 2012.
6. Sub-titles do not count. The word must be in the main title.

Point Qualifiers:

Genre:

5 points - Mystery
4 points - Romance
3 points - Memoir
2 points – Thriller
1 point - Horror

Theme: (Please explain how your book fits the theme.)

5 points - Astronomy
4 points - Food
3 points - Family
2 points - Festivals
1 point - Mythology

5 points - Hungary
4 points - Turkey
3 points - Greece
2 points - Chile
1 point - Kentucky

Author:

3 points - has the first name starting with M O O or N
2 points – has a European letter in their name, eg. é, ç, æ, ü, ø
1 point – is from the northern hemisphere

Cover (must be the version you are reading. If you are listening, most popular version):

5 points – Has a telescope on it
4 points - The title is in “pumpkin” orange
3 points - Has a full moon on it
2 points – Is predominantly green
1 point - Has a wolf on it

Title (must contain night, dusk, evening, twilight or midnight):

5 points - Has a title starting with H A R V E S or T (The, A, An, and And do not, unfortunately, count)
4 points – Has a type of food in it
3 points - Has the word “moon” in it
2 points – Is 4 words long
1 point - Has some word describing the night also. Eg Black, Cold, Dark, Long.

Pages:

500+ - 5 points
400-499 - 4 points
300-399 - 3 points
200-299 - 2 points
less than 200 - deduct 3 points

Stars:

5 points - 5 stars
4 points - 4 stars
3 points - 3 stars
2 points - 2 stars
1 point - 1 star

Bonus Points: 10 points each:

1) St Francis of Assisi's Feast Day (Oct 4). Has a main character who is an animal (shifters and werewolves are not valid for this bonus).
2) Columbus Day (Oct 12). The characters undertake an ocean voyage.
3) Halloween (Oct 31). Has a supernatural being in it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

One question - are challenge books supposed to be ones we've not read before, or can I return to one for a re-read? I have one that might fit the bill, but I've read it before (although not reviewed it on GR) There's another option if that's not within the rules.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Oh good question Helen! One I've never thought to ask as I rarely re-read these days ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I do go back and re-read books. Some because they're like a comfy jumper, others because they're just so darned good and others because it's been so long since I read them that I've almost forgotten what happens. The one I have in mind falls into the comfy jumper category.

If I'm down I tend to have a very restricted reading list, in that I'll only read something I know to be non threatening and with a happy ending. Meaning that it's all re-reads. I get through a lot of light romantic fiction at times like that.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments We've never fielded that question before! As long as you "re-read" it within the time frame of the contest, you're good to go. Most of the books I re-read are not recent reads and I've forgotten most of the content.

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Yup. I defer to Janice.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (alicia_dean) Oh wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I'm going to go on a search for my October book now. (Well, I'm at work, so maybe I'll wait until this evening ). Do we post the name of the book we've chosen somewhere?

message 8: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Great job, Rusalka! This is going to be a fun one!

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2148 comments Ooooo more planning for me to do...

message 10: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments If I read a book for the challenge I can't count it as one of my rainbow books is that correct?

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments AmyK wrote: "If I read a book for the challenge I can't count it as one of my rainbow books is that correct?"

Correct, only Toppler books can 'double-up'.

message 12: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Guess I'll just have to go find another blue book for my rainbow then :)

message 13: by Pragya (last edited Sep 20, 2012 11:29AM) (new)

message 14: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments AmyK wrote: "Guess I'll just have to go find another blue book for my rainbow then :)"

Oh no...not another blue book! ☺

message 15: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Almeta wrote: "AmyK wrote: "Guess I'll just have to go find another blue book for my rainbow then :)"

Oh no...not another blue book! ☺"

Good thing I have another on standby. I'm going to read Shadow of Night for the challenge because I can't wait.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Good choice, AmyK

message 17: by Larae (new)

Larae Blankemeier (laraetx) is the word "dark" not an option? i keep thinking it is, then have to keep looking. not a problem if it's not allowed

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments If it is "dark night" or "dark midnight" or "dark twilight" then it counts and you would get the bonus 1 for the title, as it describes your particular night.

But unfortunately, dark by itself doesn't count I'm sorry.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm debating 3:
Wait Until Midnight which I've read before, is about as intellectual as candyfloss, but good fun
Night Watch which is a re-read, and probably the most emotional of the Discworld books
or Night of the Fox which occupies my husband's end of the shelves. Might see how the mood takes me. I seem to have read quite a lot of "heavy" books recently, maybe something light will fit the mood more.

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments They are 3 good ones Helen... I think you and I will be doing some maths with those ones. Personally, I would pick the Pratchett out of the 3. Can't go past Discworld.

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber I know I've got plenty of choices for this one, so I'm hoping to be able to fit it into my October schedule.

I LOVE BOOKS!!!! (It's one of those days, my friends. . . )

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments YAY!

Also... if you have time watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESPRD... at time 5.30 and onward. Your exclamation reminded me so much of him!

(also if you like books, and drunken Irishmen, this is the show for you!)

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Saam | 9 comments I was surprised that I found no books on my bookshelf with the word night in it. Since I am trying to read off my to read list I am out of this challenge. I will wait for the next one. Such a bummer.

message 24: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I see this challenge as composed of 4 books
1. night
2. Oct 4
3. Oct 12
4. Oct 31
#1 needs to be a book with night in title
#2-4 does not need night in title

Did I interpret correctly?

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Jenn wrote: "I was surprised that I found no books on my bookshelf with the word night in it. Since I am trying to read off my to read list I am out of this challenge. I will wait for the next one. Such a bu..."

It's too bad. I looked at your shelf to see if you had a book with the other words that were accepted (midnight, dusk, twilight, evening) and didn't see any.

I have to take my hat off to you that you are so disciplined. (And I wonder why I can't whittle my tbr down.)

message 26: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Jenn wrote: "I was surprised that I found no books on my bookshelf with the word night in it. Since I am trying to read off my to read list I am out of this challenge. I will wait for the next one. Such a bu..."

Oh no Jenn! I'm sorry, I was trying to make it a little flexible so if people were being strict like yourself they could find something. I, like Janice though, very much admire your resolve. November!

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Shirley wrote: "I see this challenge as composed of 4 books
1. night
2. Oct 4
3. Oct 12
4. Oct 31
#1 needs to be a book with night in title
#2-4 does not need night in title

Did I interpret correctly?"

Hi Shirley. It's just one book for all of them. Those last 3 bonuses just can give you a good whack of points for days that occur in October (did Columbus actually land in the States in October?).

Feel free to read a couple of books and see what gets you more points if you wish. But I'm keeping it to one book so you guys can participate in the Monthly Theme Reads and the Toppler as well. Gosh that makes October sound busy.

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments October is a busy month indeed! But the good kind of busy ;-)

I think I'm going to read Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger for this one.

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I love Tassie Tigers! Let me know how it goes and it may get whacked on my TBR.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Saam | 9 comments Rusalka wrote: "Jenn wrote: "I was surprised that I found no books on my bookshelf with the word night in it. Since I am trying to read off my to read list I am out of this challenge. I will wait for the next on..."

That's okay. Of all the books that I have on my shelf (all my to read books aren't on my Goodreads tbr shelf) I picked a spooky one since it is October.

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Heh excellent!!

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I have a few books that qualify, but I'm leaning towards Midnight in Austenland. I need something light and fun.

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (alicia_dean) Okay, trying to get this figured out. I definitely want to do the monthly read, and I'd like to do this too.

Do we have to choose a book that's 'already' on our shelves for the challenge?

Should we only discuss the challenge here and the monthly read on the monthly read discussion?

Sorry to have so many questions. :-)

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Hi Alicia

There is no requirement to read a book that is already on your self for the challenge. Once you have selected a book and read it, you will score it according to the point structure set up in the first message. There will be a sample given at the beginning of October so that you can follow suit. You will state your completion and score it in the Challenge thread. It is not likely that you will be discussing your choice in depth. Someone may ask you a question that you may answer.

The Group Reads (monthly read) is something completely different. The group reads are more like a book club whereby the group nominates and votes on books to read. It is part of the event to discuss the book in the threads set up for the purpose.

I hope that answers your questions Alicia.

message 35: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (alicia_dean) Wonderful! Yes, it does answer my question. Thank you so much.

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Thank goodness for Janice. Sorry been insane at work this morning. Including having to teach our intern how to make a cup of tea (seriously! Who doesn't know how to make a cup of tea!?!).

Feel free to use this challenge as an excuse to buy a new book if you wish Alicia ;)

Judy, argh! lol It technically has "night" in it which I let a couple of Pragya's thoughts through on. So I will allow it, for fairness sake ;)

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I said it had to have "night" in the title and tonight does. I didn't think about composite words and because of that, I can allow it.

I kinda was thinking as you stated but I should have thought of the loopholes. And I am happy if people read something they are looking forward to that fits in, that's half the fun!

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Rusalka wrote: "I kinda was thinking as you stated but I should have thought of the loopholes. And I am happy if people read something they are looking forward to that fits in, that's half the fun"

One can never anticipate all the loop holes. You think you've got it all figured, and then one of the eagle eyes in the group ferrets one or two out.

And... now I have Elton John's song in my head "Tonight..."

message 39: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 51 comments I can't figure this out at all.

The word night, evening, twilight, dusk, midnight
has to be in each one, or only the first 6? I use a library and there are no books for any of the countries with night in them.

message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I'm joining the challenge. I like the theme, it's fun.

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Hi Lindy.

The aim is to read one book this month with the word "night" or it's associated words I mentioned above in the title. Then you get points for each of the criteria it meets.

If, for example, you read a book set in England, you could still get points in the other areas (such as the genre or the title or the pages or your rating) but you wouldn't get any points for the location section. They aren't the easiest places to get books for but I couldn't ignore the food/harvest pun.

Does that help?

message 42: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 51 comments Not really, What I am asking is must every book you read have the work night in it inclucding the topics Turkey, food, festivals. Or does only the genre one have to have night in it??

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 26, 2012 07:22AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Lindy wrote: "Not really, What I am asking is must every book you read have the work night in it inclucding the topics Turkey, food, festivals. Or does only the genre one have to have night in it??"

When you chose the book you want to read for the challenge, it must have the word "night" in the title. Period.

The other things (genre, location, cover, etc) are points you attribute to your score IF they apply to your book.

For example - the book I've chosen is Night of the Ripper. It is classified as a thriller and horror, so I count 2 points for thriller and 1 point for horror. It is not set in any of the locations, so I don't get any points for location. I continue to add points as I go through the list. Rusalka will be posting a sample "scorecard" before we begin.

message 44: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (alicia_dean) Okay, this is going to be fun. I'm trying to decide between the following. Based on just the titles, they'll all qualify, correct?

Night Raider
Born in Twilight
A Night of Southern Comfort

message 45: by Robin (new)

Robin | 245 comments Oh lordy...wouldn't it figured I just read this book of poetry titled....A Night Without Armor. It was short and quick to read of course, which was good for me since I'm not sure how much time I can devote to reading for fun...(oh grad school, sucking up all my reading for fun time!) :(

message 46: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 51 comments I am hoping people will post wheat they are reading along with the grenre they read them for which would hlep me. It is hard to be old and confussed.

Robin which grenre did u read it for, I didnt' see anything you could read poetry for????

just read this book of poetry titled....A Night Without Armor. It was short and quick to read of course, which was good for me since I'm not sure how much time I can devote to reading for fun...(oh grad school, sucking up all my reading for fun time!) :(

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Lindy wrote: "I am hoping people will post wheat they are reading along with the grenre they read them for which would hlep me. It is hard to be old and confussed.

Robin which grenre did u read it for, I didnt..."

You do not have to pick a book based on the genres listed. It doesn't matter what genre the book is in. If Robin had read this book for the challenge, she just wouldn't get any points for genre.

It's really very simple. Pick a book with the word "night" (or the alternate words). That's it. That's the challenge.

Read it within the dates of the challenge (Oct 1 - 31).

Finally, score it according to the points assigned to various attributes.

Please let us know if you are still confused.

message 48: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I am sending chamomile tea and scones (or should it be scotch) to the moderators meditate meditate meditate NOW! :)

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50023 comments Sorry if that sounded like a mod over the edge. (Did it? Yikes!!) That certainly wasn't my intention.

I was trying to break the challenge down to the bare bones because Lindy was getting all confused with genres and requirements and and and....

I was just so focused on trying to clear the confusion, that I didn't realize just how new Lindy is to our group. Let's start over....

So, welcome to our goup, Lindy. I'm so glad you've jumped right in on a challenge. I looked at your shelves and you have quite a few books with the word "night" in the title.

By the way - I accept blueberry tea. I'm not a huge fan of chamomile. LOL!

message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I'm posting a scoring example now to help. Hopefully a visual will help you out Lindy. I know that I can get a bit waffley with words.

Sorry for the sporadic posting this week, it's been insane. But only 1 event left at work this week.

I'll take the scotch Shirley!

« previous 1 3 4 5