What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Self harm

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments I'm looking for a non-fictional or/and fictional book about self-harm.

I've read Bloodletting: A Memoir of Secrets, Self-Harm, and Survival and The Burn Journals (non-fictional)

The Night Watch (fictional)

While eating disorders are self harm too I'm looking for self harm like cutting, burning, hitting, biting.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks, Kate!

message 4: by Yinzadi (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:49AM) (new)

Yinzadi | 27 comments I haven't read all of these, but I've heard that they contain it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Girl, Interrupted
A Great and Terrible Beauty series
Handle With Care
Lisa, Bright and Dark
The Luckiest Girl in the World
Speak (little bit)
Willow
Several books by Ellen Hopkins
Sort of silly to mention this after all these serious books, but the House Elves in Harry Potter beat themselves up when they think they've been disobedient.

I'm guessing you won't mind manga as you're an L-fan (me too!), so manga:
Berserk, Vol. 1
Darker Than Black 01 (though it's a plot point rather than an emotional reaction)
Backstory in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Life, Vol. 1
One Piece, Vol. 1: Romance Dawn (little bit)
Shadow Star 1 - Starflight
The World God Only Knows 1

Hope some of that was useful!

message 5: by Jane (last edited Sep 19, 2012 03:41PM) (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments A Bright Red Scream: Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain by Marilee Strong
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87...

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 9 comments Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 3 comments Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel is about self harm.

message 10: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 23 comments The virgin suicides, Goth-manga about self-harming by Otsuichi.

message 11: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 52 comments Cut

message 13: by Dee (new)

message 14: by Jane (last edited Mar 12, 2013 10:45PM) (new)

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Identical

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harry | 34 comments Speak was recomended by another member. I have to say it was really good as well as the other books by that author.

message 18: by Anna (last edited Mar 27, 2013 12:34PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Rachel wrote: "Speak was recomended by another member. I have to say it was really good as well as the other books by that author."

Speak was good, I haven't read other books by Anderson but I own Wintergirls copy.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 614 comments I don't know if Speak necessarily falls into what the OP is looking for though

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Dee wrote: "I don't know if Speak necessarily falls into what the OP is looking for though"

It doesn't but it's good book anyway.

message 21: by Fresno Bob (last edited Apr 01, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Fresno Bob | 127 comments My First Book Of Cutting (Kumon Workbooks, Commonwealth Edition) by Kumon Publishing ????

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "My First Book Of Cutting (Kumon Workbooks, Commonwealth Edition) by Kumon Publishing????"

hahaha :)

No

message 23: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas | 22 comments A Bright Red Scream: Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87....

Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47....

Bodies Under Siege: Self-Mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57....

Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thank you, Clackamas!

message 25: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments This one is sci-fi and I'm not sure you're looking for that, but ... Nobody

message 26: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 10 comments In Green Angel by Alice Hoffman, the protagonist tattoos herself to cope when she (SPOILERS) loses her family. It's pretty clear that it's meant to be interpreted as self-harm. It's a good short read, but it does require some "suspension of disbelief." It seems to be more about making a point and having deep meaning than being believable.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks.

message 28: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments This is a romance novel where the heroine has to deal with the urge not to cut....

Release Me

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments The Solitude of Prime Numbers fiction about a girl with anorexia and a boy who cuts himself. WARNING: this book is heartbreaking.