Start by marking “Her” as Want to Read:
Her

Her

In many ways, Kristen Elliott is a normal, seventeen-year-old girl. Kristen loves her family. She works hard academically, and tries to please her mother. She takes on the additional responsibility of caring for her twin siblings, Nick and Alison. She idealizes her best friend, Lexus, who not only seems to lead the perfect life, but also catches the attention of John, the ...more
Published May 22nd 2013 by 8th Street Publishing

Start your review of Her
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust

. . . This book deserves a review. I hope I can get my head out of my ass find the proper words to write one.
SVP
This is my favorite book this year.

I thought that "Her" described the realness of BPD in depth. It could very well have been a true story. I like Mr. Sharp and the way he was used as a personification of what it's like to have an addiction to self harming. He's like the writer, Felicia Johnson had described in a magazine interview as haunting. It was like a seduction. Much like addiction is. I've had this kind of addiction before and it's almost like having someone whispering in your ear tellin
Taylor
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I was a cutter and Her by Felicia Johnson is a book about suicide and self injury. It helped me a lot. That's hard to say, but it did. Sometimes you don't even understand it.

I have it on my Kindle and read it in a few days. It's a really good story. It's painful to see that some people go through this kind of sadness, but it is good to know that there is hope for them. I hope that when people read this book they will be able to see the good in the main character that I saw. It's a story you can
Edith
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
E.L. Farris
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Felicia Johnson takes a very real look at the nature of mental illness, trauma, and abuse as it affects the mind and actions of a teenager in her well-written debut novel, HER. The main character, Kristen, suffers from borderline personality disorder, no doubt brought on by horrific trauma that is vividly recounted by Johnson in the first pages of HER.

For anyone who suffers from borderline personality disorder ("BPD"), or who loves someone suffering from BPD, HER offers an enlightening and sympa
Jenny Felder
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having practiced psychotherapy for over 35 years I found Her, by Felicia Johnson, to be a brilliant window into the mind of one who struggles with Borderline Personality Disorder. The story is so enchanting that I found the characters showing up in my own dreams. Well written and psychologically accurate, the book will take you into the heart and mind of Kristen, a teenage girl who finds herself hospitalized following a suicide attempt. A must read for those learning about personality disorders. ...more
Kimerin's Confessions of a Bibliophile
I received and ARC of Her as a part of a blog tour.

I am not going to lie, I am having a very difficult time trying to find the proper words to use to write this review. I felt so many emotions while reading Her; curiosity, anger, sadness, empathy, distraught, relief, and happiness.Her was raw, real, intense, and seemed so spot on!Felicia Johnson was able to perfectly describe the manifestations of Borderline Personality Disorder(BPD)in a potential real life situation. The story seemed so real,
Tbird London
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, have you ever wished someone you cared about would read a book so they would understand the words you aren’t able to say? This is one of those books. I had no idea what to expect when I bought it. I started the first page and instantly knew I might be in over my head emotionally but Felicia kept it real and she wrote this story in a way that anyone could understand.

There are books out there about self mutilation but this one take it a step farther and explains Borderline Personality Disorde
Crystal Marie
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

I feel that by me reading and rating this book is not really fair. This book touched way to close to home for me. Everything that happened in this book (well almost everything) I went through with someone very close to me. That being said, I will admit that the author was DEAD ON with her description of what a residential treatment center was like and what happens beyond those four walls.
In this book we meet Kristin who is a very tortured soul who also has a mental illness. We follow h
Debra Delash
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Her by Felicia Johnson is a magnificently, raw depiction of 17 year old Kristen, who is living with Borderline Personality Disorder. After a suicide attempt she enters Bent Creek psychiatric hospital, where powerful scenes detail adolescents navigating the complex world of learning to survive mental illness.

Ms. Johnson successfully brings out the human frailties and emotional demands also on Kristen’s mother, as she responds to her daughter’s thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. In addition, Ms.
Christie
This book did STUFF to me!

I picked up this book knowing exactly what I was getting myself into, but omg I wasn't prepared to be sitting on my couch for almost 2 days straight with only a few breaks to take care of basic self care needs. My muscles ache from not being able to pull myself away from the couch and actually stop reading!

I cried my eyes out!

I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. I just kept on reading until finally there were no more pages left. Oh dear god! There is a movie soon? Will
Autumn
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful book. Even if you've never dealt with any type of mental illness or have not known anyone that has you've probably felt alone and sad or depressed at some point in your life. You will relate to this book.

The main character is a teenager and even as an adult I remember exactly what it's like to feel the way she does.

I find both her "best friend" and her mother irritating and frustrating characters. Both of which seemed to care more about themselves than her.
Xavi
Did I just read a book about my life? I felt like I knew everything that was happening in this book because it felt so much like it was about me! I could relate to this girl from the depression to the self harm and even the stay at the hospital. It was really like eveyrthing I had been through! Heartbreakingly real and it's not an easy read. I had to keep putting it down and then pick it back up again. It is not for those who need a light read. Go in with a box of tissues.

Emotions
chevonne books
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow just wow
This book made me feel so many strong emotions, many I can personally connect too.
This book had me smiling and crying at times.
There were so many little twists and turns which made this book a strong read
Anyone with a mental illness or wants to know more about metal illness should read this.
This book has had a strong impact on me and my way of thinking for the better
A truly amazing read
Maui Rochell
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I can't help but ask myself, "Why am I reading this? It's too much. It's affecting me." But these type of books are helping me to understand how having a mental disorder feels like and they should be taken seriously. This book was everything to me. Not a light read I must say.
Andrea M
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

Gosh, where to start with this review?

I don't usually do them but quotes seem like a good place to start:
The Mirror
By Kristen Elliott

"The mirror
Made of shattered glass and full of veins
Disfiguring her maimed beautiful image.
Inside and out
A reflection bears the burden
Of who she is
What she has become
And what will forever be.
One side Her-self
The other side just Her."

"Nobody knows how this feels. Do they? No. They don’t know what it is like when you feel like God has put a two-to
Lauren
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
CAUTION: SPOILERS

Eye contact is well-known social norm. It signals attention, and can communicate a feeling of understanding and honesty. Kristen, who has awoken in a mental health institute after a suicide attempt, misconstrues and abhors eye contact. In the novel Her, by Felicia Johnson, Kristen feels a heavy negative connotation when people look at her, and lashes out at them for “staring” at her. Through her interactions with facility staff and patients, and eventually family and friends, it
Courtney
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I read Her by Felicia Johnson and was like

This book is so real! Knowing the background of how the story came about made me want to read this story. The author's best friend had Borderline Personality Disorder and had committed suicide when they were teenagers. She wrote the book in homage to her friend. That touched my heart. I had to read it after watching the book trailers for it. Definitely watch.

Kristen's story is told in a way that I felt myself feeling every emotion she felt and I could
Julie Cameron
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finally getting around to reviewing this fantastic piece of writing. Sorry that it has taken me so long!

Her is a very real portrayal of mental ill health, strength, hope and everything in between.

I don't even know where to begin to describe how this story made me feel. It has stuck with me ever since I read it back in January. While reading the emotional rollercoaster that I was stuck riding was pretty intense but in a good way. Actually in a great way. It really made me think about my own life
Candice Osborn
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspiring and insightful!
By C. Osborn on November 18, 2013

This is as extraordinary book that insightfully depicts the life of a teenage girl with borderline personality disorder (BPD). This little known and widely misunderstood mental disorder afflicts many and has a profound impact on them, their families, and their loved ones. This book, written from the girl’s perspective, provides a discerning window into the thoughts, feelings, and struggles of someone with BPD. It is a great read for
Karen Lepsky
I found this book hard to read because I saw a lot of the main character in someone that I care about. It was recommended to me by that person to help me better understand them because they seemed to not be able to talk to me and tell me clearly how they felt. After reading this book I am haunted by some of the words that she used to describe what it's like to be depressed and angry and want to hurt yourself. I better understand this person that I care about because Her by Felicia Johnson has sp ...more
Laila
Moving story about a girl who is struggling with her own sanity after suffering the trauma of childhood abuse. I purchased this book at a conference from the speaker/author when she gave a presentation of her keynote speech about mental health advocacy and standing up against child abuse. Felicia Johnson is a very gifted speaker as well as a talented writer. I enjoyed this book so much that I could not put it down. I finished reading "Her" in a matter of days instead of weeks like I thought it w ...more
Steph Burgess
This book was probably one of the best I've read in a while. It grippingly takes the reader through the mindset of a person with BPD. Having BPD myself, it was amazing and strange to almost read my own thoughts and processes. It made me feel like I'm not alone and stronger for it. It's an extremely well written book, that can give someone the understanding (or as close to it) of what it's like to live everyday with this ghost, person, devil thing inside your body.
I highly recommend it to BPD su
For the Love of Books
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars of truth. Kristen is a strong individual facing BPD and this book is an insight of her struggle. Most of the time when we read a book its for entertainment and never really has a meaning. This book emotionally drained me but made me appreciate those facing BPD. It makes you realize that even though life may be hard others have it harder. Thank you, Felicia Johnson for writing a book that not only touched my heart but inspired me to appreciate every aspect of my life! ~Raquel~
Liz Ferro
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Her is a must-read for anyone, especially those who need help in understanding the complexities of life with mental illness or trauma of any kind. I found the story both heart-wrenching and inspiring - and could relate to the main character on many levels. From the sickening smell of hospitals to the self loathing and self destructive behaviors - but most importantly - the tenacity and the desire to be a survivor - Her is a victorious story of endurance and perseverance.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book that felt so REAL to my own emotions. Nothing was sugar coated and everything just made sense. The struggles Kristen deals with every day is what so many people feel they must do silently because of the huge stigma mental illness has, especially illnesses like BPD. Being able to relate so much to the main characters feelings and how honest the author made this book feel is what made me give it 5 stars.
Mollydee
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-stars
I read this book right before I became very ill. I thought I wrote a raview on my website. But I did not. However all the feelings it brings up you have to write a review fresh from when you have read it. But I am sure all of you have read a book SOOO good you read it again. That is what I am doing. I will do a proper review when I am done.
She is
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4 Stars.

What a book!

This book left me wanting more.
1. I liked this book. Well written, well plotted.
but
2. I want to know more, e.g Dr. Cuvo, what happened to him? I have a lot of...y'know about what was going on but still, it's not clear. Also, the ending...her mom, duh..suddenly she was being so kind to Kristen, but why? tell me about it.
Dee
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. I could not put this thing down. I suggest that everyone on the planet read this book. Mental is sure a growing topic of conversation. This needs to but on every T.V. and radio morning show and newspapers and magazines.
Karen Wright
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be excellent, but very disturbing. I didn't know much about borderline personality and reading it made me feel depressed for the main character and what she went through in dealing with an undiagnosed mental illness. There was a lot of dialogue of the main character among her family members and at the rehab center she stayed at for the majority of the story. I can only imagine this dialogue is actually what goes on in mental institutions among patients, counselors, doctors, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Movie Adaptation? 2 16 Mar 24, 2014 08:36AM

• Cut
  • Cry, the Beloved Country
  • Wintergirls
  • Willow
  • Scars
  • Break
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on Tough Stuff: Stories of Tough Times and Lessons Learned (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Vein Fire
  • Girl, Interrupted
  • Thirty-Seven
  • Chernobyl Murders (Lazlo Horvath Thriller #1)
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #1)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Hell:  The Possession and Exorcism of Cassie Stevens
  • Shadowland
  • The Evil Wizard Smallbone
  • The Gravedigger's Son
  • The House by the Sea
Felicia Johnson is a writer, youth mentor, behavioral health worker, and big sister. She loves ice cream, and seeing her little sister, Laura, smile.

Facebook.com/feliciajohnson