Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Need help finding my next few books!!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments Ok is I have fallen in love with YA books. Only read a few though. Started off with Twilight series and couldn't put them down...l.the went to Hunger Games. Same thing! I read Divergent and I think that was my favorite so far!! Love love the romance and the female always being saved by the cute guy, but is also strong enough to help herself! Read Delirium and it was good. But probably my least favorite. I have to be really interested in a book to keep going, or I will just give up. I want to find more books that will keep my pages turning as quick as the others have. Any suggestions??

message 3: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 12 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare , Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare , The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa , Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce , The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa , First Test (Protector of the Small, #1) by Tamora Pierce ,and Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce

message 4: by Theo (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

The Mortal Instruments series starting with City of Bones is the BEST series!

message 6: by Janina (last edited Sep 14, 2012 03:53PM) (new)

Janina (flowerintheprecipice) | 10 comments This one is a great stand a lone Origin by Jessica Khoury

This book is a make-you-a-rabid-fangirl and writhe-in-agony-for-the-sequel kind of book, if you don't like this one then I dunno what you would like, there is a seriously hot guy here. Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

This one is really a love story wrapped in an adventure. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi and since you love Twilight then the Lux series is a great read for you starting with Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and if you loved the Hunger Games then read Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth or Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman

message 7: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments Wow!!! Thanks everyone! Have you all read the same ones I've read too?? Do all these have the same ideas to them as what I've been reading? I heard a lot of people recommend matched and maze runner and a few others, but they didn't get the best reviews. I've never been a "reader" before now and I just dont want to get into a string of books that don't match on awesome-ness to what I've read! :)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I don't like dystopian books so did not care for The Hunger Games etc - but I love a lot of YA.

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Krista, I have read the ones you mentioned and feel the same way. I love them all. Delirium was just ok for me. I will second everything Terry suggested.
City of Bones, Anna and the french kiss and Graceling are books that I have read several times each. I loved Shiver too. Some others I might suggest are...
Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Mystic City (Mystic City, #1) by Theo Lawrence

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I loved The Scorpio Races too.

message 11: by Janina (new)

Janina (flowerintheprecipice) | 10 comments Krista wrote: "Wow!!! Thanks everyone! Have you all read the same ones I've read too?? Do all these have the same ideas to them as what I've been reading? I heard a lot of people recommend matched and maze runner..."

I can't recommend you Angelfall enough to you, Obsidian and Divergent. Based on what you read before you are bound to like this ones.

message 12: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments Wonderful!!! Thank you!!!!! I have put a lot of these in my to-read list. I guess I should have posted YA dystopian in the original post. I have actually just figured out that that is what these books were called. Sorry like I said. New to this whole thing. I always hated reading, but than realized I was reading the wrong books that didn't interest me......I think my favorite book to date is Divergent. I am so excited for book 3... I am not sure if I am into the sci-fi or paranormal stuff. Though I did like twilight. I guess I am still trying to find my nitch.

message 13: by Bethany (last edited Sep 15, 2012 10:01AM) (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Krista wrote: "Wonderful!!! Thank you!!!!! I have put a lot of these in my to-read list. I guess I should have posted YA dystopian in the original post. I have actually just figured out that that is what these b..."

I was the same way. I hated to read. Then Twilight(the movie) came out and I loved it and I was like, there's no way I'm waiting 3-4 years to find out what happens, lol! So I went to the library and breezed through the series. After that, I was hooked. Divergent is definitely one of my top 10 favorite books all-time. It's just amazing.

message 14: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments Bethany wrote: "Krista wrote: "Wonderful!!! Thank you!!!!! I have put a lot of these in my to-read list. I guess I should have posted YA dystopian in the original post. I have actually just figured out that that ..."

I LOVE Divergent... I am always so scared that I will never top my last fav book, like I thought nothing would be as good as Twilight, than I found HG, and I was like Oh, thats it, number 1! LOL Than Divergent, and I was in love..... And now I want something just as good, and sappy with the romance but also have the action, and never ending page turning cant sleep til I read the next chapter feel....I think my next series will be Mortal Instruments....Do you think that one will give me what I am looking for?

message 15: by Karen’s Library (last edited Sep 15, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Karen’s Library I also started with Twilight and The Hunger Games and now can't get enough of the dystopian YA. I enjoyed Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Starters (Starters and Enders, #1) by Lissa Price The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 16: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Krista wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Krista wrote: "Wonderful!!! Thank you!!!!! I have put a lot of these in my to-read list. I guess I should have posted YA dystopian in the original post. I have actually just figure..."

Oh yeah. TMI is soooo good. The third book is the best. But, the whole thing is awesome. I think you should checkout Vampire Academy. It is paranormal, obviously: vampires, but it's so freaking good. One of my favorite romances ever and plenty of action.

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments Thank you for giving me soooo many options!!! This is such a great group of people!!!! :-)

message 19: by Shayna (new)

Shayna Varadeaux (ShaeAnn77) | 19 comments Exiled by RaShelle Workman
Ethereal by Addison Moore
Eternal Eden Trilogy by Nicole Williams
Veronica Roth by Divergent and Insurgent

message 20: by Sang (new)

Sang Kromah (sangkromah) | 1 comments I recommendConcealed

message 21: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 229 comments I have read many of the same ones you have read. I just recently read Trisha Leigh's first two books and they were awesome. Kind of a mix between dystopian and sci-fi.

message 22: by Krista (new)

Krista Brinkmeier | 6 comments I am on the 5th book in the Mortal Instruments! It has been pretty good so far, I wasn't sure about all the demons and fairies and stuff at first, but it has had a lot of twists and turns!