The Sword and Laser discussion

LeVar Burton
This topic is about LeVar Burton
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video- #12 Pt. 1- Interview with LeVar Burton

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (last edited Sep 14, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Take a look, he's not in a book, he's on Sword & Laser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJq7qt...

Enjoy!

message 2: by library_jim (last edited Sep 14, 2012 12:35PM) (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Greeat ep. and thanks so much for getting my question in. Glad to hear he's keeping educators in mind.

And as for Octavia Butler: lets do Kindred for the S&L!

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
Favorite episode yet! Of course you asked my question to LeVar AND I was the "researcher" for the alternate history.. so I'm probably super biased.

Also, Veronica should sing every episode!

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Rob wrote: "Also, Veronica should sing every episode!"

Seconded!

Really a fun interview, thanks S&L.

message 5: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 12 comments Took a break from reading & S&W for the last few month. But now I'm back! Great episode! Veronica is soooooo adorable. :)

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments I'm sooooooooooo far behind on my S&L video episodes. I figure my time to catch up will be while I'm recovering from my surgery. So now the question is, do I watch this one NOW or do I just save it?

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Sep 14, 2012 03:31PM) (new)

terpkristin wrote: "I'm sooooooooooo far behind on my S&L video episodes. I figure my time to catch up will be while I'm recovering from my surgery. So now the question is, do I watch this one NOW or do I just save it?"

now...now..now! It's not like there are spoilers from the ones you've missed.

Edited for bad grammar

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Rob wrote: "now...now..now! It's not like their are spoilers from the ones you've missed."

You're right. That was a dumb question :)

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Darcy (pauldarcy) | 20 comments Great job Tom and Veronica!

Who needs TV - I've got my books + Sword and Laser

And Tom, or should you be called Tome, where did you get the shirt? - I want one!

:)

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hakala (hak42) | 4 comments Great show! Really enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Tom caused me to go searching for and then spend money on a shirt. ;)

Here's the link for others: http://www.offworlddesigns.com/showPr...

Veronica - I share your excitement about Whispersync for Audiobooks!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Darcy (pauldarcy) | 20 comments Tanya wrote: "Great show! Really enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Tom caused me to go searching for and then spend money on a shirt. ;)

Here's the link for others: http://www.offworlddesigns.com/showPr......"

Thanks Tanya!

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (medusasmirror) | 44 comments I may have cheated and watched today's episode on my phone, at work. I couldn't wait until 8 tonight when I get home.

message 13: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Great job Tom and Veronica!

Who needs TV - I've got my books + Sword and Laser

And Tom, or should you be called Tome, where did you get the shirt? - I want one!

:)"

Veronica bought me this short at Dragon*Con because she is teh awesome.

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments V, I’m just going to sit quietly and mention that there’s this forum you might have heard of for the Sword and Laser book club and WhisperSync for Voice was mentioned in that very forum… ;)

Great interview, as always. I liked the breadth of topics you guys covered. And I'd definitely be happy with an Octavia Butler pick.

Oh, also, for the record, I was perfectly happy with the Twilight jab. ;)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments LeVar Burton was my first crush. My connection to books. <3 <3 <3

And then he said Parable of the Sower for his favorite book? Wow. Love that book, I'd love for us to read it.

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) What an awesome Dude Levar Burton is....love the S&L shield above the door too!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

What a nice guy Lavar is, wish that Reading Rainbow had been around for me in the UK when I was a kid.

Veronica cracks me up as well.

message 18: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments I took to a vacation for a month without internet, and suddenly a ton of S&L videos to watch, not to mention other awesome G&S shows! I spent whole night watching and I must say this episode is brilliant! Levar Burton is such a great guy.

P.S: Let Veronica sing more! :)

message 19: by Tom, Supreme Laser (last edited Sep 15, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Rasnac wrote: "I took to a vacation for a month without internet, and suddenly a ton of S&L videos to watch, not to mention other awesome G&S shows! I spent whole night watching and I must say this episode is bri..."

No one "lets" Veronica do anything. She is all powerful and does precisely what she means to.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Tom wrote: "No one "let's" Veronica do anything. She is all powerful and does precisely what she means to. "
Yes, this. Thank you.

message 21: by Jane (last edited Sep 15, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Jane Higginson | 164 comments Tom wrote: "Rasnac wrote: "I took to a vacation for a month without internet, and suddenly a ton of S&L videos to watch, not to mention other awesome G&S shows! I spent whole night watching and I must say this..."

which is why we love her and look up to her!

message 22: by Sonic (new)

Sonic Alpha (sonicalpha) | 21 comments Lucy wrote: "wish that Reading Rainbow had been around for me in the UK when I was a kid."

I think I would have loved to watch Reading Rainbow as a kid, it's such a shame it didn't make it over to the UK :(

message 23: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Tom wrote: No one "lets" Veronica do anything. She is all powerful and does precisely what she means to.

In that case; Veronica please sing more... :)

message 24: by Sile (new)

Sile Enis (sileenis) | 4 comments Ah! I really enjoyed the interview with LeVar Burton. I'm glad that Reading Rainbow is coming back in some form so it will be available to future generations of readers. I also really enjoyed hearing what Mr. Burton had to say about portraying a disabled person. I love how it reiterated the message that the original Star Trek put out about there being a place for everyone.
I also really wanted to comment and say that I loved the whiteboard review at the end where Aaron discussed "Kitty Goes to Washington" by Carrie Vaughn. Ms. Vaughn's Kitty Norville series is amazing with well rounded characters, a strong narrative voice, well developed stories, and a new and innovative way of incorporating supernatural or mythical elements.
You should consider inviting her onto The Sword and Laser!

message 25: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments Is anyone else having trouble with the RR app? I downloaded it right after watching the interview, but I can't get the subscriptions to work - it says in-app purchases are not allowed. There aren't any parental restrictions on my iPad, so not sure what's going on.

message 26: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Nobody puts Veronica in a corner.

message 27: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments agreed - sing more :)

message 28: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments I agree It was a great episode I'm glad I watched it. But this is the 1st one I ever watched. I just can't make the time to watch the podcast. So i'm so happy the audio podcast is still there.

But great show and i'll try to watch more.

message 29: by Ed (last edited Sep 25, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Ed [Redacted] (ed__) If anyone has not seen this version of the song it is pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBRYsA...

Fixed (I hope)

message 30: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Awesome. Please take the 'm.' off the url. :)

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new)

So good. thanks

message 32: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) by the way - i love octavia e butler also! my fav is fledgling.

message 33: by Ezra (last edited Sep 26, 2012 07:18PM) (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments My friend just linked me to that video of Jim Morrison covering the Reading Rainbow theme. That put it in a whole different context (drugs) - twice as high as a butterfly?

message 34: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments I seem to remember that in this episode, Burton recommended Octavia E. Butler. I noted that today (13 October 2012), the Kindle Daily Deal in the US is the first in her Xenogenesis saga, Dawn, is on sale for $1.99. linky.

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I thought that said 'kinky', which could possibly be applied to Dawn.

message 36: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) I wonder if Amazon has a spy in here in Swords and Lasers?

.....I'm looking at you, Rob... ;)

message 37: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Ayesha wrote: "I wonder if Amazon has a spy in here in Swords and Lasers?

.....I'm looking at you, Rob... ;)"

You can't prove anything.

What's that!?

*runs*

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dawn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Octavia E. Butler (other topics)