The Sword and Laser discussion

WhisperSync for Voice - About Time!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Audible has recently (and quietly) seemed to unveil "WhisperSync for Voice." If you have Kindle and Audible versions of certain books (those "WFS Ready"), you can switch back and forth between the audio and Kindle versions seamlessly. http://www.audible.com/mt/wfs/narrow

Nice. I have to find something that I haven't read to try it out with. It appears that The Alloy of Law is compatible with this, so I'm going to have to try it out...

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments The one thing I can't figure out is if you have to buy the audiobook as well as the Kindle book. On Audible, it says "Buy the book. Add the audiobook. Switch between listening and reading." It doesn't say if you have to buy the audiobook as well. (I assume you do.)

It doesn't matter to me anyway. I have a Nook.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Also, I assume it wouldn't work with my iPod Nano because it doesn't have internet connectivity.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Although I tried my best with Audible, I always preferred to use my eyes when it came to books. However, I'm willing to give this a shot especially as I commute to gain ground on books but still be able to switch to the Kindle version as the primary source.

A Tale Of Two Cities was free for both versions so going to try it out.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments Still waiting for the whisper sync to work with audio and print.

message 6: by aldenoneil (last edited Sep 10, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jeff wrote: "A Tale Of Two Cities was free for both versions so going to try it out."

Looks like quite a few are. I grabbed that one and Three Musketeers. Pretty awesome.

EDIT: and Huck Finn, narrated by Frodo Baggins.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
The link says buy the ebook for Kindle first and "add" the audio book, but doesn't indicate if there is any kind of package deal. Amazon owns both. I don't see why they couldn't offer a package, for just a little more.

Sort of like the DVD/BR/Digital combos. If you're already paying the author for the audio book, the eBook cost should be negligible. Audio books add the extra expense of the reader.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Jenny wrote: "Still waiting for the whisper sync to work with audio and print."

Life isn't Winnie the Poo. :p

message 9: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments

message 10: by Joyce (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 173 comments this feature might make me actually switch to a Kindle from the Nook. I am already an audible subscriber since their inception and this might be the tipping point. I don't know yet. Would like to get feedback on how well it works before buying. Perhaps Nook will somehow do the same thing. The one thing I don't like about Kindle is that there is no page count.

message 11: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Joyce wrote: "this feature might make me actually switch to a Kindle from the Nook. I am already an audible subscriber since their inception and this might be the tipping point. I don't know yet. Would like to g..."

Don't count on B&N doing the same thing. They are falling so far behind in the tech area. My Nook 1st Edition wouldn't wake up today, so I took it down. The Nook guy took the battery out for me and put it back it. Turns out the battery is on its last legs and a replacement is no longer available. The device is only two years old and one of the selling points was the replaceable battery. If they can't even support that basic, how are they going to support something like this when they don't even offer digital download audiobooks?

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
Not to mention, who does B&N partner with for the audio part? Amazon didn't have their own source for audiobooks, so they bought audible.

I don't do audiobooks a whole lot, but is there anyone in their league as far as selection?

There is no way Amazon will willingly partner Audible with any other source of eBooks besides the Kindle.

message 13: by Shaline (new)

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments I used this on my commute last night and it's wonderful! You log into audible with your amazon account then buy the audiobook for a print book you have already purchased at a serious discount. Then it just picks up where you left off. Foundation audiobook was 4.99, bringing the price for both to something like $13. Totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Going to have to pick a different book to try this out. Got A Tale of Two Cities because it was free and the audiobook is just not clicking for me. This has always been a problem with me and audiobooks though. I still think it's a great idea for people that do both.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie England (tehluhlah) | 8 comments Maybe I'm odd, but I enjoy an audiobook as a completely different experience than a print book. I would rather either read the entire book or listen to the entire book (or somtimes both, depending on how much I love the book!)

This is a great deal to get some free classics on audiobook, though 8)

message 16: by Thurman (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:14AM) (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments Joyce wrote: "this feature might make me actually switch to a Kindle from the Nook. I am already an audible subscriber since their inception and this might be the tipping point. ... The one thing I don't like about Kindle is that there is no page count. "

If you buy a Kindle make sure its Kindle Keyboard or a Kindle Fire. The rest don't have audio, including the new PW.
The ever since the last versions of the kindle they do have a page count. I'm so used to the location count though.

Edit: Sorry but why the hell add that feature now when most Kindle's except the older ones can use it?

message 17: by Shaline (new)

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments @thurman you dont use the audio on your kindle, you use an audible app on a different device, i.e. phone, ipod, etc.

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Julie wrote: "Maybe I'm odd, but I enjoy an audiobook as a completely different experience than a print book."

I don't think that's odd. I typically like to keep them separate, but there are definitely books that I get so into, I want to be able to read all the time to find out what happens next, so I'll get them in audio and Kindle form so I can read when I'm able to read print and listen when I can't. I do that with the A Song of Ice and Fire books and the Wheel of Time books quite often. It just used to be a manual process...as long as the title is WhisperSync for Voice-compatible, this takes the "trouble" out of that. :)

message 19: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Shaline wrote: "@thurman you dont use the audio on your kindle, you use an audible app on a different device, i.e. phone, ipod, etc."

I'm confused. The device you use to listen does have to connect to Amazon somehow, right. So, it wouldn't work with my iPod nano that can only be updated by connecting it to my computer. Or, is there some magic that Whispersync uses?

message 20: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Ah. You use the Audible app on your smartphone or tablet. A device that can't use the app wouldn't work.

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments terpkristin wrote: "Ah. You use the Audible app on your smartphone or tablet. A device that can't use the app wouldn't work."

Got it. So, I won't be doing this anytime soon. I don't have a tablet and I don't want my phone to be smart.

message 22: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments Shaline wrote: "@thurman you dont use the audio on your kindle, you use an audible app on a different device, i.e. phone, ipod, etc."

why would I not use the audio on the kindle? I would rather have 1 gadget when I go out instead of 5. And I do have some good mp3 on my kindle just in case I don't have anything else to listen too.

message 23: by Shaline (new)

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments It is silly that you can't use the audiobook on the kindle. It's also confusing to actually buy the discounted audiobook. You can't do that from the audible app, you have to go to the website. I used the text to speech feature on my kindle a lot so I could continue my book in the car. I have a 45 minute one way commute. That robot voice was pretty terrible, so even though the system is clunky, it fits my life. I always have my kindle and ipod in my purse. I think I may be the target audience for this...

message 24: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments I always have my kindle and smartphone so this would work for me. But I can't get into audio books, the reader's voice and all the different voices they do for characters just don't make it feel like reading.

message 25: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) I think this would be a great way to tear through some content. I don't like the idea of buying both versions though. Audiobooks are ridiculously priced in some cases.

message 26: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments Neil wrote: "I think this would be a great way to tear through some content. I don't like the idea of buying both versions though. Audiobooks are ridiculously priced in some cases."

True most audio books I've seen are about $20 each. And i've seen some as high as $50

message 27: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) Elantis was really expensive for some reason. The GRRM books are too.

message 28: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 16, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I could have sworn kindle worked with audible? Or it's just the whispersync audio that doesn't work on kindle?

message 29: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments Tamahome wrote: "I could have sworn kindle worked with audible? Or it's just the whispersync audio that doesn't work on kindle?"

oddly enough amazon own Audible :(

message 30: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) On the audible site it says free voice whisper sync! What a deal! Especially, after I get A tale of 2 cities for free then pay 20 for the audio book.

Looks like Moby Dick is the only one you can truly try for free. Or at least it is the only one I have found.

message 31: by Shaline (new)

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments There are about twenty that are free to try. To get the free audio version, you must have downloaded the free print version and be logged into audible with your Amazon account. I tried Withering Heights and A Tale of Two Cities. Not all audiobooks are compatible, but the ones that are are available at a discount, for about 3-5 dollars, after you have bought the print version.

message 32: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments btw the new ipod nano now has bluetooth. so wispersync might work