Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > 77 Groups of People That Should Be Eaten by a Space Goat <Heidi is not particularly fond of this thread title. It's mean.>Fixed it for ya Heiderson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) If you guys don't mind, I'd like to pimp a new blog series I've written. This cheerful insight into humanity's foibles is called 77 Groups of People That Should Be Clubbed to Death With a Blunt Instrument...Any Instrument (Part I: Nos. 77-69 )

Since we're pretty good at bitching about other people, I thought you'd appreciate my gentle rebuke of the stupids of the world.

Danke Schoen.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have to read this in more detail. I've had a longstanding conversation with my best friend on groups of people who annoy us, but none are coming to mind right now. Well done, sir...

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Funny stuff...
I agree wholeheartedly on Rush, truck balls, gym princesses, and the people who lump all TV together.

I find Keith Olbermann entertaining in small doses.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Wow, that's awesome Gus. Thanks.

"Go drink bleach, asshat."
I'm probably going to have to steal that one for when i'm driving...

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm writing Part 2 as we speak. Or read. Whatever.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Gus, you rant like no other... :) I'm glad to call you "friend."

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:51PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments People who talk about poetry on the subway loud enough for other people to hear so they sound erudite. There's one!

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:56PM) (new)

Grocery store check-out lady talks to you about teaching and/or education like she knows what the fuck she's talking about.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 04, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, that drives me nuts, too, Sarah. Parents who think they know everything a teacher should do because, you know, the parent has kids drive me nuts too. I have great respect for parenthood, but teaching and being a parent are more different than people may realize. It's like being a doctor and being a parent are different.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
That reminds me of the scene in Erin Brockovitch when she says she has no formal medical training but she has kids.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RRRR...I had to advocate for some people to a group of doctors last night. Their inability to understand the repercussions of the problems that their own patients were having astounded me.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's called "objectivity," Sarah Pi. I don't get it either.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'd classify this as 'deliberately obtuse' and 'arrogant'.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah that too.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ... or self-absorbed and insensitive.

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) More and more doctors seem to lack common bedside manners.

I'll have to add these swine to my ongoing list.

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Pray for what? My sould to be saved?

Fuck that. If Heaven is filled with Bible-thumping creeps like that, I'd rather party in Hell with Satan.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Maybe there's a separate Heaven for the uptight Bible thumpers. Not everyone who is religous, just the annoying ones. They can just keep themselves company.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Awesome. I read one of the above comments and worried for a minute that you had included Canadian power-trio, Rush, in your list. How relieved I am to find out it's just that Limbaugh cretin."

Heidi wrote: "Gus, you rant like no other... :) I'm glad to call you "friend.""

King Dinösaur wrote: "Awesome. I read one of the above comments and worried for a minute that you had included Canadian power-trio, Rush, in your list. How relieved I am to find out it's just that Limbaugh cretin."

My sister refers to him as Lush Flegmball. I like it.

message 20: by Sandy (last edited Feb 05, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments People who allow their kids to run wild in grocery stores, people who park their carts in the middle of the aisle whilst searching for the perfect artichoke, the person who invented telephone menus, especially the one that tells you for faster service, use their internet site when you're calling because your internet is down, people who speak annoyingly loudly in a restaurant so everyone will know how important they are, people who cut in front of other cars because they drive a BMW and you drive a piece of junk, enabling parents, people from Wall Street and everywhere else who believe they are "entitled",and that's all I can think of at the moment. In, I think it was Hitchhiker's guide all annoying people were put on a spaceship to orbit earth forever. Too bad we don't have the technology

message 21: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Sandy wrote: "People who allow their kids to run wild in grocery stores, people who park their carts in the middle of the aisle whilst searching for the perfect artichoke, the person who invented telephone menu..."

Yes, I would like to see all of these people loaded on the B Ark for Arthur Dent to find later.

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Speaking of which, couldthey have made a worse Hitchhiker movie? I won't rant, although I want to.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Actually, I do think it could have been worse. Not saying it was good, but it could have been worse.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Well, you're probably right. What bothers me most is the robot. How is the audience supposed to believe that little snowman/clown is chronically depressed? At least they got the voice right.

message 25: by Félix (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:48PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Marvin quotes:

"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."

"Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does."

'Do you want me to sit in the corner and rust, or just fall apart where I'm standing?"

"My capacity for happiness, you could fit it into a matchbox without taking out the matches first."

"Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only companions."

"Why stop now just when I'm hating it?"

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."

"I'm not getting you down at all, am I?"

"I have a million ideas, they all point to certain death."

"I won't enjoy it."

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Alan Rickman is a god!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love Alan Rickman. Did anybody see that Star Trek spoof Galaxy Quest? I loved his Spock-ish character.

message 28: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Sarah Pi wrote: "I love Alan Rickman. Did anybody see that Star Trek spoof Galaxy Quest? I loved his Spock-ish character."

Galaxy Quest was surprisingly good. Rickman was easily the best part.

message 29: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) How did this morph into a Galaxy Quest thread?

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Dan wrote: "Sarah Pi wrote: "I love Alan Rickman. Did anybody see that Star Trek spoof Galaxy Quest? I loved his Spock-ish character."

Galaxy Quest was surprisingly good. Rickman was easily the best part."

Rickman is usually the best part of whatever he's in, IMHO. I was surprised at how much I liked Galaxy Quest despite the fact that Tim Allen is in it.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I thought Galaxy Quest was hilarious, and did not mean to do it a disservice.
Gus:
People who should be clubbed, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (movie version), Alan Rickman, Galaxy Quest. Surely someone can bring it back full circle. Maybe you. Only time will tell.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't even know what Galaxy Quest is. Movie? Show? Tim Allen? He's still doing stuff?

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It was a very funny movie that came out several years ago. Tim Allen at his most bearable, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, Alan Rickman. They play the cast of a cult space opera TV show, still making their living off of personal appearances.
I maintain that "Star Trek spoof" is a reasonable descriptor in that the characters are exaggerations of the Star Trek characters. Tony Shalhoub's deadpan line readings are hilarious. Rickman plays the Spock-ish character, a Shakespearean actor who absolutely despises the role that has made him famous. Funny stuff.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I checked this book out of the library today...reminded me of Gus's blog...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57...

message 35: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Tell me if it's worth reading, RA. If you think it's good, I'll get my hands on it. And then I'll send the authors some nasty e-mails and add them to my ever-growing list.

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm saving it for tomorrow's plane ride home, sir...more after that...

By the way, there are a lot of people to hate while traveling. Case #1...the person who has to stand DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the little window from which the bags emerge, as if he is going to pounce on his luggage and sprint out of the terminal at the first possible moment.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

heh heh heh. Are you ready to get away from the traveling public, friend?

I like it when you call people sir. It sounds very aristocratic.

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments How about the baby who cries non-stop or the little kid whose parents won't tell him to stop kicking the back of your seat?

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Babies crying has never been one of my pet peeves.
I guess if they were literally in the seat next to you, it would be horrible. But a couple rows away, and I can ignore no problem, Boblem.
Hmmm. Is that a sign telling me not to have children?

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have empathy for the parents of a crying baby...sometimes it's not the parents' fault and the parents are doing everything they can with "holy shit, how do I make this baby stop crying?" running through their minds....

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

I much more abhor a man with a deep, far-carrying voice carrying on a one-sided conversation all about the places he goes and his infinitesimal knowledge of the destination. The worst is on a flight home to CO or down to New Orleans and I have to listen to some jackass spend the flight telling his seat mate about it. For the whole flight.

"plane buddies" are fine, as long as they pipe down within the first 15 minutes.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Amen to that one.

message 43: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) My 19-month-old daughter is often well-behaved when we travel by plane. That's because we dope her up with a Tylenol/milk cocktail that makes her all sleepy or calm.

The ones who kill me are the passengers who wait until the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE to board the plane, thereby making you have to get up from your seat to let these unrepentant procrastinators take their seat. Someone needs to shut the door in their face as they're getting ready to board the plane.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

I used to always travel stand-by, so I was that person. We're quite well behaved and quick moving, getting to the last available seats.

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Julie wrote: "Babies crying has never been one of my pet peeves.
I guess if they were literally in the seat next to you, it would be horrible. But a couple rows away, and I can ignore no problem, Boblem.
Hmmm..."

On an 8 hour flight to Europe?

message 46: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't want to talk to people on planes and a mild terror overcomes me if the person next to me appears to be a talker. I stare down at my book with an almost physical intensity.

I'm flying home from Orlando tonight. Apparently any flight to/from Orlando has a lot of kids because of the Disney thing. I wonder if the flight attendants don't like the route.

My kids are good on flights...I remember the sedative phase...we're past the sedative phase, Gus...well, no, we're not, Nintendo DS is our current sedative of choice...

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

That raises an interesting question. I like to say now that my children will be raised sans-television. Not in the car, no traveling DVD player on flights, no Barney at home.

I want them to travel the way I did. With a pad of paper and a box of crayons, markers, pencils, a book, and a snack.

Is that just ridiculously outdated and silly?

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good luck with that. In my experience, when parents try to set things up like that, the kids crave it all the more, and go hog wild with it first chance they get.

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The research on tv is mixed...I don't think tv is as bad for kids as some people say, and I don't think avoiding tv or only letting the kids watch shows like Sesame Street is as good as some people say.

It's hard to isolate television-viewing as a factor, I think.

I will be the first to admit that television can be a godsend when the kids are bouncing off the walls, sick, etc. Most of us grew up watching tv...we turned out ok...right?

Ok, maybe not.:)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally I hope that it does work for you, but I am highly skeptical of its success.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.