Review Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Finished rounds > Round 1 - Group 1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments I've finished Marie-Anne's book, and I have a question. It seems I saw somewhere that we were going to release all the reviews pretty much all at once, but I can't find the post with the time-frame. Could someone please let me know what the plan is?

message 2: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Hi Larry, you are super-organised! We will post release dates very soon. Officially we were going to kick off (i.e. everyone start reading) by the 15th Sept as some people still haven't exchanged details and post 3 weeks later.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I don't see a problem with posting early since there are no reciprocal reviews going to happen in any of the rounds. Do you all feel a final 'must be done by if at all possible' target date should be set rather than we all do it on that day? It would get away from the problem of some members not being available on a specific day.

Personally, if I've finished something I like to wrap it up and move on.

message 4: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments I'd be happy with that too.

Agree that we need an end date so we can kick off round 2. Early posters would just have a bit of a wait between rounds.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Larry wrote: "I've finished Marie-Anne's book, and I have a question. It seems I saw somewhere that we were going to release all the reviews pretty much all at once, but I can't find the post with the time-frame..."
There's your answer, then, Larry. Democratic vote, 2 out of 3 moderators, so it's now official. You post as soon as you're ready. Where to post? That's the choice of the author. If the reviewer likes to post on other sites as well as the author's choice that's fine too.

message 6: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Hopefully everyone has been in contact with their reviewer and is ready to start... If not, contact one of the mods.
Please post your review when you're ready but no later than Oct 6th if you can.
If would be helpful if you contacted the author/a moderator to say when you've posted.
Jay and Mike - please say if I've missed anything.
Happy reading everyone!

1 reviews 2 Jay reviews Johnny
2 reviews 3 Johnny reviews Larry
3 reviews 4 Larry reviews Marie-Anne
4 reviews 5 Marie-Anne reviews Sylvie
5 reviews 6 Sylvie reviews Mike
6 reviews 7 Mike reviews Eileen
7 reviews 8 Eileen reviews Philip
8 reviews 9 Philip reviews Marcelle
9 reviews 10 Marcelle reviews Mona
10 reviews 1 Mona reviews Jay

message 7: by Larry (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:21PM) (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments Jay wrote "Where to post? That's the choice of the author. If the reviewer likes to post on other sites as well as the author's choice that's fine too."

Are we not going to post in this group, say in the "round 1" thread, or am I full of beans? I'll post my review wherever the author wishes, but also think this thread would be a good repository for all the books reviewed in each round. I'll wait to hear from you who are much more organized and smarter than I am. ;)

message 8: by Mona (new)

Mona Karel (monakarel) | 78 comments If I don't reply right away it's generally because I haven't hit my gmail...for "emergencies" my usual e-mail is tsent@ix.netcom.com. Sunday-Tuesday I was at a delegate meeting but I'm back now. Yaaa

message 9: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Larry wrote: "Jay wrote "Where to post? That's the choice of the author. If the reviewer likes to post on other sites as well as the author's choice that's fine too."

Are we not going to post in this group, say..."

Hi Larry,
It is brilliant to have your enthusiasm on board. As the author in question, I'd be grateful if you could post your review on Amazon (either UK or US - whichever you usually use). But you are right, if Jay and Mike agree, it would be nice for us to also post on this thread. For one thing it would be easier for us to keep track of who has posted.
I realise though that people may want to avoid reading a review of a book that they may be reviewing in the next round say...
What do people think?
Certainly I think we could all post our reviews on goodreads also anyway....

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I reckon we're a GR group so the default is post here, elsewhere by agreement with the author. If a reviewer is worried about other reviews influencing their own, then they can choose not to look. Surely it's only fair to the author for the reviews to be posted where other GR readers can see them when they pop in to the site? And adding comments and discussing the work is easier/friendlier here.

message 11: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Agreed. Review on Goodreads (copy to this thread). Also elsewhere by agreement with author.

message 12: by Mike (last edited Sep 15, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) How about just post a link in this thread to the GR/Amazon? That way the review wouldn't act as a spoiler for future reviewers?

message 13: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Eileen - lovely review, but I agree with Mike. We don't want other reviewers to see the reviews unless they choose to follow the links, so I've replaced your post with this.

Eileen's review of Replenish the Earth here on GR:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Marie-Anne wrote: "Agreed. Review on Goodreads (copy to this thread). Also elsewhere by agreement with author."
Sorry, Marie-Anne - you've been out-voted on this one.

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) CALLING ALL GROUP 1 MEMBERS!

Group 2 is just about complete so speak up now if you want a slot. If I don't hear from any of you before 22nd September I'll let the slots go to new members.

I've reserved these 2 slots for Group 1 members to have first shout if they want to join the next group. The maximum from any group joining another group together is 2. They can occupy slots 1 and 6, in this way not reviewing each other's work in the next group. If you join Group 2 it will mean you are actively reviewing 2 books at the same time, so please ensure you have the time free to meet this commitment. If you're not sure, join a later group.

message 16: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1703 comments Mod
This is like one of those logic problems I hated in maths..."If A reviews B, C, D, and E, and is reviewed by G, H, I, and J, and then joins Group 2, which slots can A occupy to avoid reviewing an author who has reviewed him/her? Please answer in essay form."

message 17: by Jay (last edited Sep 16, 2012 01:32AM) (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I have the answer to that Kathy. I'm hoping to get the new group kicked off on 22nd September, with you in position 2, so not long for you to wait :)

BTW - if I have to answer in essay form, can I expand that into a book? lol!

message 18: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Typos:
I'm wondering whether anyone has any thoughts about mentioning typos in reviews? They're not thrilling to read about (!) but I think they should be mentioned somewhere. I have decided to message the author privately with any I notice so they can correct them in another e-version if they want to. Does anyone have any better ideas?

message 20: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Marie-Anne wrote: "Typos:
I'm wondering whether anyone has any thoughts about mentioning typos in reviews? They're not thrilling to read about (!) but I think they should be mentioned somewhere. I have decided to mes..."

I think it comes down to a question of degree. If the work is littered with so many typos it affects your enjoyment of the story, I think that belongs in a review to warn other readers. If there are just a few (and we all manage to leave some of them, as do so-called professional proof readers) then a message to the author would be considerate.

message 21: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Marie-Anne wrote: "Marie-Anne's review of The Other Side of Silence "

What an excellent review, Marie-Anne. That's just the kind of thing I'd like to see for my own work - a full explanation of what was good, what could be done better, a rational argument for your rating.

message 22: by Jay (last edited Sep 16, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) You've piqued my curiosity with your review, Larry, but I'd be interested to know why you rate it as a 4 not 5 after such a glowing tribute.

As per newly agreed policy, I'm deleting your post and replacing with this link:

message 23: by Larry (last edited Sep 16, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments Jay, I was trying to do that very thing, after I realized what I had done. You beat me to it.

As for your question, I don't have a real good answer, other than there is no middle ground between 4 & 5. 4.5 is more like I would have liked to post, but that isn't possible. As I stated, this is my first review in a setting like this, and am trying to learn the ropes as I go. A 5 probably would be closer, but I didn't want to give the impression that I'm being one of those "give everyone a 5" people. Does that make sense? In any case, I loved the book, and have recommended it to many of my friends on GR and elsewhere.

message 24: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments I'm sure it probably isn't very professional to thank a reviewer but I would like to thank you, Larry for writing such a considered review. I don't think Jay meant you should change your star rating. I was worried earlier that I had been mean with my rating for Sylvie's book but I think go with gut instincts.

message 25: by Larry (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments I don't believe Jay meant I should change the rating, either....but I had been wrestling with the issue for a day or two. It's hard to find that balance between one number and the next. My first gut-based rating was a 4.72! lol. I hope to gain more insight and learn more about my critical style as I grow here. I honestly loved your book, although in all honestly I probably wouldn't read more of that genre before. Maybe this process will open me up to new styles and ideas.

message 26: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I agree with you both - you tend to 'feel' a rating and then struggle to find a logical reason for that. I was just wondering as I too am learning and want to find out how other people do it. I haven't been a reviewer very long, less than a year in fact, and its not something anyone teaches you. There aren't any rules, no rights or wrongs to it. I'm hoping to get better at it. All any of us can do is our best in trying to be fair.

On method I use if I'm unsure is to leave it a day or two. If the book has made a big enough impression to be on my mind a lot in that time, then I'll give it the higher of the 2 score possibilities.

Perhaps other members can teach us some tricks and techniques to help get it right/fair?

message 27: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Jay wrote: "I agree with you both - you tend to 'feel' a rating and then struggle to find a logical reason for that. I was just wondering as I too am learning and want to find out how other people do it. I hav..."

I actually consider the stars as something akin to a school grading system. Five stars equals an 'A', while one star equals an 'F' (for 'failing'). Sometimes, I'll include the letter in the title of the review, so, for Swamplandia!, I named the review, "Tedious Yet Haunting -- C."

http://www.amazon.com/review/RONWRDEW...

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) I've just posted my review of Sydney's Story on GR and Amazon. Here's a link to the GR review:

Fantastic read, by the way! A+! :)

message 29: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) My goodness, in the first few reviews there are books popping up that are tempting my palate, ones I'd probably never have come across normally. I'm enjoying what I'm reading now and 3 more to come :)

Judging by Mike's review, I reckon I'll have to see what I can learn from you, Eileen. I don't get your book in the draws so I'll buy it when I have time to read it. Give the group a mention when you make the big time!

message 30: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 13 comments Jay wrote: "Marie-Anne wrote: "Marie-Anne's review of The Other Side of Silence "

What an excellent review, Marie-Anne. That's just the kind of thing I'd like to see for my own work - a full explanation of wh..."

Thanks Marie-Anne; I agree with Jay.

message 31: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) We had a department day today so I got chance to write my review of Johnny's book, White Limousine, while we were on the coach.

I've also done B&N as requested :)

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Jay wrote: "We had a department day today so I got chance to write my review of Johnny's book, White Limousine, while we were on the coach.

I've also done B&N a..."

Very well written and thoughtful. Nice!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Jay wrote: "My goodness, in the first few reviews there are books popping up that are tempting my palate, ones I'd probably never have come across normally. I'm enjoying what I'm reading now and 3 more to come..."

Jay wrote: "My goodness, in the first few reviews there are books popping up that are tempting my palate, ones I'd probably never have come across normally. I'm enjoying what I'm reading now and 3 more to come..."

Terrific review--getting some extra nods on Amazon and the Dickens' blog (off goodreads) contacted me for review copies. Love it! Very helpful.

message 34: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Fluff and preen those feathers ready for take-off, Eileen :)

message 35: by Larry (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments If I've got this figured out correctly, my next review should be of Sylvie's book. Is that right?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Are we ready to go to round 2 in group 1? I have posted my review and received my review. Speedy! e

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Eileen wrote: "Jay wrote: "My goodness, in the first few reviews there are books popping up that are tempting my palate, ones I'd probably never have come across normally. I'm enjoying what I'm reading now and 3 ..."

Thank you, re: ready for take off. I love a good review!
Of course, there are dissenters to keep ego in check.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Mike wrote: "How about just post a link in this thread to the GR/Amazon? That way the review wouldn't act as a spoiler for future reviewers?"

That's fine. The deal is that outside of this group I do have people who follow my reviews and I want all good reads members to have access to the review. Reviewers up next could possibly just skip the review? e

message 39: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I've just posted the list for Round 2 for those who are good to go already. We're doing excellently, with half the reviews already posted and lots of enthusiasm driving us forward still :)

Those who are taking a bit longer, don't worry, we're not hassling you to catch up. You have plenty of time still.

message 40: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) GROUP 3
Jason and Steve from Group 2 have taken slots 1 and 6 in Group 3, which means any of the Group 1 members are still free to join Group 3 as well if you have the time and the desire to do so. There are 4 slots left ie filling up quite fast and should start in a week or two. First come, first served :)

message 41: by Jay (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:08PM) (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Sylvie has reviewed Mike's book, San Anto:

Please add the links in this thread as you post your reviews. Thank you.

message 42: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Jay wrote: "Sylvie has reviewed Mike's book, San Anto:

Please add the links in this thread as you post your reviews. Thank you."

Thank you, again, Sylvie! :)

message 43: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I'm a bit confused - yes, you should worry as I'm a mod. I've just been onto Amazon.co.uk and I didn't see the reviews there for Marie-Anne's or Eileen's books, only on Amazon.com. I thought one of the drivers for this group was to get reviews out there where it counts, the #1 place people go to shop for eBooks, which because of the might of Amazon nearly always means Kindle books. It also means .co.uk for us Brits. Is this because the authors didn't ask for both, even though their books are for sale on both?

This is quite an important point as .com will always throw a Brit back to .co.uk. I couldn't even accept a lend of a book from .com as I have a .co.uk account. I know I can leave reviews on both sites, though, as I've done it several times. It's just purchases they get uppity about.

message 44: by Mona (new)

Mona Karel (monakarel) | 78 comments I've put a review on Amazon.com and on Goodreads. Do you want Amazon.co.uk? Not a problem.

message 45: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Thanks for doing that, Mona. You wrote a well considered, thoughtful review and your efforts deserve to be seen :)

I guess it would be a good idea for us all to specify when we pass the book file to the reviewer where we would like to see the review. I'll ask Mike to add it to the Guidelines.

message 46: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Oops! I meant to add the link to your review, Mona, so other members can get to it easily:

Mike and Larry - perhaps you could post your reviews on .co.uk as well? Books look so unloved while they sit there with no reviews, the wallflowers at the ball.

message 47: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Very impressed with the quality of reviews and that people are providing constructive criticism. Also with the way that authors are responding to this. Something to be proud of.

message 48: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Yep, we're making a few mistakes as we feel our way around this new group, but we're refining the rules and guidelines quite well, Mike will soon have the FAQs sorted, and in the meantime we're getting some darned good reviews up. Much better quality reviews, certainly, than many we've all seen...

Big pat on the back to us all!

message 49: by Marcelle (new)

Marcelle (mbartoloabela) | 4 comments Jay wrote: "Oops! I meant to add the link to your review, Mona, so other members can get to it easily:

Mike and Larry - perhaps you could post your reviews on .c..."

Jay, Apparently reviews that are posted on Amazon.com automatically show up on Amazon.co.uk Just discovered this in relation to my books, so thought to let you and everyone else know.

message 50: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I'll have to qualify that, Marcelle, to 'mostly'. I have a couple of .com reviews that never made it across. It seems to be the same hit and miss affair as when you publish with CreateSpace - some authors see their work appear on .co.uk and others don't. No rhyme or reason, and little seems to happen when you query it with Amazon.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.