#AutumnalCity discussion

Dhalgren
This topic is about Dhalgren
General > Hello and Welcome

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Sep 07, 2012 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian | 31 comments Mod
Hi, and welcome to the #AutumnalCity GoodReads group! I loved participating in #OccupyGaddis this summer (thanks Lee!), and I'm happy to keep the ball rolling with a wonderful author like Samuel R. Delany.

I've read two of his novels (Trouble on Triton, and Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand) and several short stories. He's probably my favorite stylist. When I first encountered him, it was like being reintroduced to the English language. Dhalgren's been waiting on my shelf for a dozen years; can't wait to start!

Feel free to start other topics or introduce yourself here. I'll start some other topics roughly patterned after #OccupyGaddis, but please put your feet up and make yourself at home.

message 2: by Lee (last edited Sep 08, 2012 06:29AM) (new) - added it

Lee | 2 comments Thanks so much for creating this group, Brian. I'm in much the same situation as you. I've read and loved a few of Delany's books--"Trouble on Triton," "Nova," "Babel 17"/"Empire Star," "Times Square Red, Times Square Blue," "About Writing," and pieces of "The Jewel-Hinged Jaw"--but "Dhalgren" has been sitting intimidatingly on my shelf for a long time. I'm excited to keep the social reading project going here and on Twitter. As I Tweeted a few times, I'm hoping to make it a regular part of my reading life.

message 3: by Bo (new)

Bo | 1 comments Yes--thanks, Brian. I'm new to Delany, fresh from #occupygaddis. Good to be with you folks. Looking forward to it.

Emma Glaisher | 17 comments I've just finished my 3rd reading after a break of perhaps 30 years! Very excited to find this group, though not sure what I can contribute... Know a couple of other people talking about creating a group, so I'll message them in case they're interested...

message 5: by David (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Merrill | 35 comments I've read the book three times. Once when I was about 16 on a cross country trip with my family. The second time was for my undergrad senior thesis paper. The Third time was about 20 years ago, so I've been looking for a good excuse to read it again. This is it! Thanks for forming this group. I'll be running a bit behind for September because I'm committed to reading 3 other books this month (I may skip one) but I should be able to catch up in October. I just e-mailed another Goodreads friend who has the bug to read this book for the first time.

message 6: by Aloha (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:45AM) (new) - added it

Aloha | 3 comments Thank you for forming the group, Brian. Thanks, Dave, for letting me know about this group. Dhalgren has been tops on my list to read. It's good to have a group to read it with. I'm in the middle of Gravity's Rainbow, though, so I hope my head doesn't go off like a V-2 rocket.

message 7: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia | 2 comments Hi, I'm here from #OccupyGaddis too. I'm a PhD candidate at the University of Iowa working on masculinity and American postmodern novelists - Gaddis, Pynchon and Wallace right now. I also have a side interest in science fiction and I'm fascinated by the early-mid 1970s so I'm really excited for Dhalgren. I read Stars in my Pockets Like Grains of Sand last year and loved it.

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Maxey | 2 comments This will be interesting. I've read the book about 3.5 times. My original 1979 Bantam edition is full of marginal notes from my second reading. I was studying fiction writing in college when this book first blew my brain wide open. The book changed how I thought about writing, made me reconsider what I saw as hard-and-fast rules for what fiction was, came from a world alien to my whitebread Midwestern suburban experience. My second reading came almost immediately after the first, and the third just a few years later. How will it hold up now almost 30 years later, after I've just finished reading "Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders"? Already I recall my love of the dense and gorgeous language. But the rest? We'll see.

message 9: by Aloha (new) - added it

Aloha | 3 comments Based on the responses to this book, this should be an interesting discussion.