Villains by Necessity Villains by Necessity discussion

Must Read Books!

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elspeth On a book thread our discussion of a fantasy novel lead to dropping titles of books that we felt were must reads. For a while a lot of us felt that the genre was fading into the cliche or just badly written.
In the past few years though a few books have brought the genre back from the dead.
I am making this thread to see what fantasy books you feel are a must read past and present.
I must insist that you make it high fantasy please, or there would be no end to my book dropping.
I have a horrible habit of not shutting up about books, so I have to give myself boundaries.

message 2: by Elspeth (last edited Sep 07, 2012 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elspeth I will start with the book I based this thread on. I LOVED the concept of this story, it was so refreshing at the time of release.
This is one of my all time favorite books, I read it again, and again.
I mean come on the premise alone has got to make any fantasy lover want to read this.
Good has won the war between good and evil and its thrown the balance of the world off. So now a not so merry bunch of adventurers have to go off and release evil back into the world.
Wait, what?
Yup, the main characters are an assassin, the king of thieves, the black knight, a druid, a dark flesh eating witch, and a bard.
I know this book is hard to find, but its a must read in the first degree.
Just say the Nifty Gnomes sent you!

Michael Fierce I LOVE THE PREMISE!

In the Elric of Melniboné series, EVIL & CHAOS can only be fully defeated by EVIL & CHAOS. Not that it's the same but Villains By Necessity sparked a memory to it.

My suggestion: In The Company Of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Burns We've already mentioned Rothfuss. Sanderson's Way of Kings is excellent.

Elspeth I just inter-library loaned In The Company Of Ogres to read!
:)

Elspeth Stephen wrote: "We've already mentioned Rothfuss. Sanderson's Way of Kings is excellent."

I have read some Sanderson. Elantris was a little rough around the edges, but I enjoyed it. I also have read Mistborn, I really liked that book, the concept of the magic was very interesting.

message 7: by MLE (new) - rated it 5 stars

MLE The Princess BrideI love this book. I reread it at least once a year. It is similar to the movie, they were written by the same person after all, but the book goes into more depth, and as an interesting plot device is written like it was an abridged edition of another writer's work. Sounds odd, but somehow he makes it work. I love the asides, and the general sense of humor.

Michael Fierce Liz wrote: "I just inter-library loaned In The Company Of Ogres to read!
:)"

Sweet, Liz. I hope you really like it. I messed up my original comment but just wanted to say that it gets better as it goes along! And as far as ending goes, I thought it was near perfect though the youngest of my 2 sisters thought the ending was a little rushed.

And Stephen wrote: We've already mentioned Rothfuss. Sanderson's Way of Kings is excellent.

Stephen, I got Elantris for my youngest sister and although I knew ahead of time it was a bleak world and told her so though I hadn't read it and she wasn't sure at first, but in the end she told me it was really great. It's on my list to read.

Emily wrote: "The Princess Bride". I love this book. I reread it at least once a year. It is similar to the movie, they were written by the same person after all, but the book goes into more depth, and as an intere..."

Emily. The older of my 2 sisters, both younger than me, really loved 'Princess Bride' The Movie, and after watching it many yrs ago, I have become a big fan, too. Just a couple of yrs ago, I picked up a newer edition of the novel and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. Simply fantastic! God, I cannot wait for the sequel. Supposed to written by either William Goldman or Stephen King(!) - once again, based on the original by S. Morgenstern. And I agree with you that the "abridged" idea sounded weird to me but it easily improved the fun of the story while recapturing everything needed from the original. Reading the original would not feel the same. Goldman may have taken out portions but was able to produce a tighter story with an appeal for the masses and the hardcore early fantasy saga enthusiasts all in one perfect harmony of events.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Burns He Liz, so funny! I did the exact same thing with In the Company of Ogres! lol

message 10: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I'm calling a HOLY F*CK on this book; have you seen the cost on Amazon??

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "I'm calling a HOLY F*CK on this book; have you seen the cost on Amazon??"

Katy! LOL! I thought the same thing when I saw it. I know I could find some cheaper reading copies but I want a Near Mint so it's gonna cost me sum.

If it's going for that high it must be worth it!

And Stephen, REALLY STOKED that you're also gonna read ITCOO! Jeez....now the pressure's on - sure hope you guys like it.

Just give it a sec for the story & style to grab you ;)

Elspeth Katy wrote: "I'm calling a HOLY F*CK on this book; have you seen the cost on Amazon??"

Yeah I was lucky, I got my reader copy for under twenty bucks. Its a hard back with out its dust jacket, but I take them off when I read hard backs anyway.

I am going to go request "Villains" for a kindle version right now. Maybe if we all do that Amazon might release it there for much less money.

message 13: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Liz wrote: I am going to go request "Villains" for a kindle version right now. Maybe if we all do that Amazon might release it there for much less money. "

Hey, good idea; have done so. However, the cost thing... a few days ago I saw a new Kindle book listed for $23.99... O.O WTF???????? I wouldn't pay that for a deckle-edge hardcover of my very favoritist book ever!

As for some of my classic fantasy loves... Michael has mentioned the Elric of Melnibone books, which I loved; I also loved the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper (which I recently re-read and still love) and the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Michael doesn't like the urban fantasy, but I love the combination of magical creatures and real-world environment :-) Takes all kinds! Michael and I also were recently discussing the Shannara series, which is good, classical fantasy. I also love the Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey before her son took over, although those are more science fantasy than pure fantasy.

message 14: by MLE (new) - rated it 5 stars

MLE Katy wrote: "Liz wrote: I am going to go request "Villains" for a kindle version right now. Maybe if we all do that Amazon might release it there for much less money. "

Hey, good idea; have done so. However, ..."

Me either, heck I bought a paperback of a new book because the kindle book cost the same price, and I figure if I'm going to pay $7.99 I want the hard copy.

message 15: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Exactly, Emily - I'll buy a used paperback before I'll pay over $4.99 for a Kindle copy!

Elspeth Katy: I couldn't get in to the Dragon Rider series, but I loved Dragonsong and Dragonsinger.
For the Shannara series I like the original trilogy, after that I just couldnt get into them.
Sames goes for Terry Goodkind, I loved book one but my interest started to fade.
I love David Eddings series The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Elenium, and The Tamuli. I also loved the stand alone book The Redemption of Althalus, but I couldn't stand The Dreamer series.

The Last Unicorn was my first fantasy novel I read, and it's an amazing book and the movie is great too.

I also want to put in The Song of The Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. I know its YA, but it was written before the shite that is Twilight crapped all over the genre.

I also love Mercedes Lackey, I have read her for years. She did have a spell where her books were just not up to par, but with her last trilogy in the Heralds of Valdemar she is back in the swing of things.

Michael Fierce I have paid way more than a hundred bucks for books I've wanted. With that said, I paid $700 bucks for a Japanes laserdisc of The Hunger back in the early 90's. And I only played it once. Somtimes you gotta pay for the things you really want. On the other hand, I've paid for comics, books, cd's, and even VHS tapes at very low prices and many are worth hundreds more than I paid for them. In fact, I bought a couple of Thomas Ligotti books and a couple of Joe R. Lansdale books for $5 - $10 and I know one of the Ligotti one's, no bigger than a Reader's Digest, was going for $1500 a coupole of yrs ago. And one of my Lansdale's is going for $700 + so you never know. The problem with them going up is that I'm not going to ever sell them. Oh. And I have maybe one of the top 3 best conditions in the world of the original Star Wars called Star Wars: The Adventures of Luke Skywalker. I bought it for $40 but in the condition it's in, you never know what it could go for. I've NEVER seen a copy being sold anywhere near the condition mine is in.

message 18: by MLE (new) - rated it 5 stars

MLE I also have a thing for The Bone Doll's Twinit's just such a different sort of series, and concept. It deals with gender, and identity in a way few other fantasy books do.

I have a soft spot in my heart for David Eddings. He was the first fantasy books I ever read, and I reread them every few years for the memories.

Michael Fierce Liz wrote: "The Last Unicorn was my first fantasy novel I read, and it's an amazing book and the movie is great too."

The Last Unicorn is in my Top 5 favorite books of this life and all hereafter. I think the movie ROCKS! My sisters are big fans of both and my mom loves the movie. I think a book about a unicorn seems like it might not be for everyone. But. IT IS.

The Belgeriad is one of my favorite series that I've read a few times and given it as a gift a couple of times. I really like The Mallorean too. But. He seemed like he was going to start repeating himself so I stopped there. I have Polgara The Sorceress and have been meaning to read that and picked up several hardbounds of Eddings for a dollar a piece so I will get to more of his stuff but I have this thing where I believe a writer has one or two incredible books or series and the rest are faded inferior repeats. So. Instead, I have literally hundreds of writers I'm really into. It's kinda more fun that way but I also have read many books by many of my faves: Brooks, Anthony, Salvatore, Odom, Moorcock, Lieber, King, etc. But it's good to tackle new voices in fiction. Or, even better, older voices in fiction that are not as recognized today.

Michael Fierce Emily wrote: "I also have a thing for The Bone Doll's Twinit's just such a different sort of series, and concept. It deals with gender, and identity in a way few other fantasy books do. "

Jeez. Y'all like some good books. The Bone Doll's Twin is in my top 10 for fantasy. I recommend it to every fantasy and horror reader I know.

Michael Fierce In fact, Katy, if you haven't read any Lynn Flewelling, she will be your new favorite writer. Trust me. Or trust us - I think most of the group from the last review / thread and this one are big fans of her 2 main series.

message 22: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I loved the Belgariad series, but the Mallorean was so repetitive that I didn't care for it at all. Dragonsinger was my first Anne McCaffrey book; my mom bought it for me when I was sick.

The very first fantasy book I ever read was The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.

I'll check out Lynn Flewelling.

message 23: by Naiya (last edited Dec 04, 2012 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naiya If you liked the tongue-in-cheek humor and play with fantasy tropes in Villains by Necessity, I'd really recommend you give Kage Baker's The Anvil of the World a try.

Amazon descrip: "The Anvil of the World is the tale of Smith and his feud-prone people, the Children of the Sun. Smith, formerly a successful assassin, is trying to retire, hoping to live an honest life in obscurity in spite of all those who have sworn to kill him. But when he agrees to be the master of a caravan from traveling from the inland city of Troon to Salesh by the sea, trouble follows."

message 24: by MLE (new) - rated it 5 stars

MLE Canary wrote: "If you liked the tongue-in-cheek humor and play with fantasy tropes in Villains by Necessity, I'd really recommend you give Kage Baker's The Anvil of the World a try."

Added.

Naiya MLE wrote: "Canary wrote: "If you liked the tongue-in-cheek humor and play with fantasy tropes in Villains by Necessity, I'd really recommend you give Kage Baker's The Anvil of the World a try."

Added."

Lemme know if you like it. There's more where that came from.

message 26: by Michael Fierce (last edited Dec 04, 2012 05:46PM) (new) - added it

Michael Fierce MLE wrote: "Canary wrote: "If you liked the tongue-in-cheek humor and play with fantasy tropes in Villains by Necessity, I'd really recommend you give Kage Baker's The Anvil of the World a try."

Added."

I own it too. I tried to read it once but I don't think I was in the rt mood at the time. I've read a lot about Kage Baker and she sounds like my kind of author and one of the reasons why I bought The Anvil of the World in the first place. I think I'll really like it the next time 'round.