The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Fall 2012 > 20.1 - Most Improved - Katy's task: Still Clinging to Summer Vacation

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 07, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8945 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved - Katy's task: Still Clinging to Summer Vacation
Whenever I go on a trip, I end up coming home loaded down with new books because I always experience something that I wish I knew more about.

For this task, read a nonfiction book on a subject you were inspired to learn more about on a vacation or trip you’ve taken.

The trip could be recent or long ago, and it could be a day trip or a long vacation. For example, a few summers ago I went on a short trip to Amish country in Pennsylvania. I could read The Riddle of Amish Culture. This past summer I went to the Grand Canyon so I might want to read Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks (because I was inspired to learn more about being a park ranger by visiting a park). I took a day trip to the beach, and got into a debate with friends about when lobsters are “in season” -- I could read The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean.

REQUIRED: State the vacation or trip you took and its connection to the book you read.

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Reserved

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Reserved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8945 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6371 comments interesting task Katy - just checking on mine...

so most of my "trips" have been deployments with the Navy and both of them were to the Arabian gulf, of which in order to get there, we have to transit through the Suez Canal - so I could read a nf about the making of it? like Parting the Desert: The Creation of the Suez Canal

message 6: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments I think I'm going to read Jamie's Italy - after visiting Italy, I grew extremely interested in the cuisine there ;)

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Dee wrote: "interesting task Katy - just checking on mine...

so most of my "trips" have been deployments with the Navy and both of them were to the Arabian gulf, of which in order to get there, we have to tra..."

Sounds great, Dee!

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments mstan wrote: "I think I'm going to read Jamie's Italy - after visiting Italy, I grew extremely interested in the cuisine there ;)"

Works perfectly -- and looks like a great book!

message 9: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Katy, would a photography book in general work for this? All my vacations are spent hunting for the perfect photo.

message 10: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 54 comments I pulled a blank on this task because sadly we don't get to go on many vacations but I do remember a summer I spent in Tennessee with my aunt/uncle and I was hoping I could use this book? It is not just a cookbook but has Alot of Tennessee history in it Jack Daniel's Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook by Lynne Tolley

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 2092 comments Congratulations Katy.

The books I am looking at are coming up as adult non- fiction or reference for the shelves is that OK for your task?

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments JenniferJ wrote: "I pulled a blank on this task because sadly we don't get to go on many vacations but I do remember a summer I spent in Tennessee with my aunt/uncle and I was hoping I could use this book? It is no..."

Sure! Summers spent in places work -- and this book works for Tennessee. Enjoy!

If you aren't happy with that choice and are still looking, remember that it doesn't have to be a huge vacation -- day trips or family outings work. So, for instance, if I were to take a day trip to a beach or amusement park or museum, even though it was near my home, I could read a book to learn more about something that interested me in those places.

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Sheila wrote: "Congratulations Katy.

The books I am looking at are coming up as adult non- fiction or reference for the shelves is that OK for your task?"

Thanks Sheila! Absolutely -- any non-fiction/reference works.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments One of my favourite places to vacation is Florida. We've been to Disney a few times & are going again next year so I just wanted to check this would work.
Our Man in Orlando. Hugh Hunter

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 2092 comments Thanks Katy - That helps

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments @Sam -- yes, that book looks interesting and fits the task!

message 17: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 639 comments I was wondering if this would work - My Kind of Place: Travel Stories from a Woman Who's Been Everywhere by Susan Orlean

It seems to be a book of short stories covering everything from New York to Iceland and even Mt. Fuji. In my travels, I have been to a few of the places listed in the description.

message 18: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Katy, would this work? Maine: The Seasons. Essays and pictures of Maine.

message 19: by Sovotchka (last edited Sep 08, 2012 10:51AM) (new)

Sovotchka Katy, I went to an art exhibition and subsequently bought Color: A Natural History of the Palette. Will that be alright?

Otherwise I would love to pick holidays in Egypt and Greece, and my obsession with Middle Eastern food and read The Middle Eastern Kitchen: A Book of Essential Ingredients with Over 150 Authentic Recipes.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 163 comments Went to USS Lexington with Cub Scouts and wanted to learn more about WWII. Would this work with this book: Flags of Our Fathers

message 21: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 993 comments I have a couple vacations I am debating. One is a trip to Holland where I went and saw both Anne Frank's Hiding Place and Corrie ten Boom's house. For this task, would I be able to read a non-fiction book about the Holocaust in general, or would in have to be set in Holland? Thanks!

message 22: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Man... I'm trying to remember the last vacation I went on........ *think think think*

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1328 comments I went to Vegas and watched a tiger show. will this work to learn more about tigers? Through the Tiger's Eyes: A Chronicle of India's Wildlife

message 24: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Rebecca wrote: "I was wondering if this would work - My Kind of Place: Travel Stories from a Woman Who's Been Everywhere by Susan Orlean

It seems to be a book of short stories covering everything from New York to..."

Rebecca, this doesn't quite fit the task -- the idea is to learn more about something inspired by a specific trip or vacation. It looks interesting, though!

message 25: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments SilverRaindrops wrote: "Katy, I went to an art exhibition and subsequently bought Color: A Natural History of the Palette. Will that be alright?

Otherwise I would love to pick holidays in Egypt and Greece, and my obsessi..."

If you wanted to learn more about color after going to the exhibition, the first one works. If you actually went to Egypt or Greece (I couldn't quite tell from your question) and were inspired to learn more about the food there, you could use the book. Otherwise it doesn't fit.

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Michael wrote: "Went to USS Lexington with Cub Scouts and wanted to learn more about WWII. Would this work with this book: Flags of Our Fathers"

This would work!

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "I have a couple vacations I am debating. One is a trip to Holland where I went and saw both Anne Frank's Hiding Place and Corrie ten Boom's house. For this task, would I be able to read a non-ficti..."

If you were inspired to learn more about the Holocaust from your trip, any non-fiction about that subject would work.

message 28: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments JennRenee wrote: "I went to Vegas and watched a tiger show. will this work to learn more about tigers? Through the Tiger's Eyes: A Chronicle of India's Wildlife"

This would work!

message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Chaitra wrote: "Katy, would this work? Maine: The Seasons. Essays and pictures of Maine."

Chaitra, if you went to Maine and were inspired to learn more about the history or natural beauty of the state, then it would work.

message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Chaitra wrote: "Katy, would a photography book in general work for this? All my vacations are spent hunting for the perfect photo."

The idea is to read about a subject specifically inspired by a vacation you took, not just about something you tend to do or enjoy doing on vacations. So this doesn't quite fit.

message 31: by Sovotchka (new)

Sovotchka Katy wrote: "If you wanted to learn more about color after going to the exhibition, the first one works. If you actually went to Egypt or Greece (I couldn't quite tell from your question) and were inspired to learn more about the food there, you could use the book. Otherwise it doesn't fit. "

I will pick the cookbook then. Those vacations were ages ago, but since then I've only ever vacationed in places that I really wanted to go to and as such have been interested in before going there.

message 32: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 639 comments Thanks for the response Katy - it's back to the drawing board for me.

message 33: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 993 comments Katy wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "I have a couple vacations I am debating. One is a trip to Holland where I went and saw both Anne Frank's Hiding Place and Corrie ten Boom's house. For this task, would I be able ..."

Thanks!

message 34: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 09, 2012 08:52PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Okay, this is what I came up with:

A few years ago my hubby and I drove to Las Vegas. We didn't stop at Hoover Dam, but we hit the dam right at rush hour, so we were there in the car (snapping pictures) for a long time! (I've visited it before though, when I was younger.) I majored in Civil Engineering in college, so I am fascinated by bridges, dams, etc. Could I read Hoover Dam: An American Adventure, about the construction of the dam?

message 35: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Katy wrote: "Chaitra wrote: "Katy, would this work? Maine: The Seasons. Essays and pictures of Maine."

Chaitra, if you went to Maine and were inspired to learn more about the history or natural beauty of the s..."

Yes Katy, it is inspired by a vacation I took. Sorry for not being clearer! I'll read it then. :)

message 36: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 639 comments I think this might be more of what you are looking for. A lot of the vacations I have taken from childhood to more recent involve visiting lighthouses (along the east coast, the Great Lakes, etc.) I am often wondering how these people lived (and still live) while performing the important task of keeping ships safe from the shore lines. Would Lighthouse Families by Cheryl Shelton-Roberts work?

message 37: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Rebecca wrote: "I think this might be more of what you are looking for. A lot of the vacations I have taken from childhood to more recent involve visiting lighthouses (along the east coast, the Great Lakes, etc.)..."

Yep, this works well.

message 38: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Okay, this is what I came up with:

A few years ago my hubby and I drove to Las Vegas. We didn't stop at Hoover Dam, but we hit the dam right at rush hour, so we were there in the car (snapping pi..."

Yes, if this trip inspired you to be more interested in the Hoover Dam or to want to know more about it, this would work.

message 39: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1362 comments Rebecca wrote: "I think this might be more of what you are looking for. A lot of the vacations I have taken from childhood to more recent involve visiting lighthouses (along the east coast, the Great Lakes, etc.)..."

It wouldn't work for this task, but if you are interested in how people live operating lighthouses you shouldn't miss
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanThe Light Between Oceans

I just finished it and it was 5 stars for me!

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 663 comments This is kind of a weird one for me, but I might have found something. Every year I go home to Quincy/Braintree Massachusetts. It is the birthplace of John and John Quincy Adams. I've had McCullough's biography, John Adams, on my TBR shelf for years. Could I read that?

message 41: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 639 comments Karen GHHS wrote: ...It wouldn't work for this task, but if you are interested in how people live operating lighthouses you shouldn't miss
..."

Thanks Karen for the recommendation - I'll have to check it out! It would actually fit for Option 2 in Task 25.6.

message 42: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 639 comments Katy wrote: "Yep, this works well...."

Thanks!

message 43: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1362 comments Rebecca wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: ...It wouldn't work for this task, but if you are interested in how people live operating lighthouses you shouldn't miss
..."

Thanks Karen for the recommendation - I'll have to ..."

Also it fits 5.5 and 15.9.

message 44: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 549 comments This might be a stretch, but I just got back from a vacation, which was a get together with a few friends. One of the friends has her kids in a montessori school, and after talking to her, I am now finally convinced that I want to put my youngest into a Montessori school. So could I read a book about teh Montessori phylosophy? (Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius)

message 45: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I LOVED Montessori school! I went to one from K-2nd grade! :)

message 46: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) I've been to Kyoto, Japan, so I plan to read Geisha of Gion which is a historical, auto-biographical account of geisha culture.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Just checking this...

My husband was raised in Utah (and the FIRST thing he will say to you is "No, I am NOT Mormon"). We have been back a few times and I've been learning more and more about the religion that dominates that region. Would this book work...

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith

I've been told about a 1/3 of it is about the murder, but over half of the book relates to the origins and present day LDS/fundamentalist groups.

Thanks!

message 48: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Kara wrote: "I've been to Kyoto, Japan, so I plan to read Geisha of Gion which is a historical, auto-biographical account of geisha culture."

If your vacation there inspired your interest in geisha culture that sounds fascinating and a great choice!

message 49: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Michelle wrote: "Just checking this...

My husband was raised in Utah (and the FIRST thing he will say to you is "No, I am NOT Mormon"). We have been back a few times and I've been learning more and more about the..."

That will work if your trips to Utah have inspired you to learn more about the subject!

message 50: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 549 comments Katy, I was wondering if you saw my previous post -- message 44?

« previous 1