Pearse Anderson
Pearse Anderson asked Jeff VanderMeer:

You use a lot of really neat words in your books, I'm constantly stealing from your collection to reuse in my stories like a literary bowerbird. How did you amass such a collection of words, perfect for the contexts that they're used in? Any recommendations on finding such words, or methods you use?

Jeff VanderMeer I read the dictionary one random word at a time for about three years, every day or week, and then also got some books on obscure words. But the trick is letting them come into the text naturally. And then there are the words that I make up, like "rhinocerouscrutian" in Authority. Which I went back and forth on and finally just said to myself, "Do it." Most of the time when I make up words, however, they're meant to be invisible in the text.