Hannah
Hannah asked Meagan Spooner:

Where did you get the idea for Skylark? I just finished it and I loved it!

Meagan Spooner I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thanks for letting me know!

The first seeds of an idea for Skylark came from an NPR segment on the energy crisis, oddly enough. I was driving home and listening to the radio, and as they talked about wind/solar/nuclear/etc., I started wondering what a world that ran on magic would be like. Originally I came up with the pre-apocalyptic world, the one before the wars Lark references. But by the time I got home, my mind had already played that civilization out to its inevitable (to me) fall, and I found the idea of what came AFTER to be far more intriguing.

From a world where magic is a limited and dwindling resource came the idea of a character who is herself a resource, and once I had Lark, I had the rest of the story.

Thanks for your question!