Phyllis Marcus
Phyllis Marcus asked Ayelet Waldman:

Just devoured Love and Treasure after hearing your phenomenal book talk at Adat Shalom a few weeks back. The story will stay with me for a long time -- the best kind of stories always do. Two questions: how did Nina come to sit for the picture? And what do you envision happened to Ilona?

Ayelet Waldman I imagine Nina and the young artist having a torrid love affair, one that even made her consider leaving her husband, but then the war intervened and turned everything to ash.

As for Ilona? I think she went to Israel and spent her life in silence. Never telling her story. I hope she married. I hope she had children. And I hope she had a grandchild who asked her what happened in the war, and that was the catalyst for her unburdening. Wouldn't that be lovely to imagine?