Bentoboxcreature22
Bentoboxcreature22 asked Katie McGarry:

Dear Ms. McGarry, In your novel Pushing the Limits, did you speak to doctors to find out more about bipolar disorder? What kinds of research did you do? Did you get any negative reactions to your portrayal of bipolar disorder in Echo's mom? It's one of my favorite books, and I was curious about that aspect. Anyway, thanks!

Katie McGarry Hi!

I did research bipolar disorder for Pushing the Limits. I talked to therapists and I also talked to people who are bipolar. I did a ton of reading research beyond this. On top of that, through people in my life, I also have personal experience.

What I think is important to understand is that Echo's mother is the 1% of the 1%. Echo tries to make Noah understand at one point that her mother has a severe case. There are people who have bipolar disorder and live very happy normal lives and unless they told people, no one would ever know.

Thank you for the question!

Katie