Rocky
Rocky asked Hugh Howey:

I loved Wool (told all my co-workers about this book!) and Sand, and I am about to start The Bern Saga. I adore the strong female protagonists in you books! Please keep writing! Now, to the question. Regarding your short stories that evolve into novels--do you make it up as you go or do you have a story mapped out in advance? Thank you so much!

Hugh Howey Thanks for the kind words, Rocky!

I've done some of both. With WOOL, I didn't know what I would write after the first short story. That was the entire plot. So I had to come up with the rest of the trilogy when I started part 2.

Other works, I've had more story in mind as I wrote the first part. I have the rest of THE PLAGIARIST mapped out, but I haven't had time to write it yet.