Deborah Reed
Deborah Reed asked Lynsay Sands:

How in the world did you come up with the idea of making Atlantians "Vampires"? That seems like such a stretch and you totally made it work!

Lynsay Sands It's my brain. LOL. Seriously, I have a very logical mind. I just couldn't do dead soulless vamps. There had to be a scientific reason behind the vampirism and extended life. The nanos were the answer to that, but then I didn't want a bunch of young vamps running around. I wanted them older, more experienced and settled in it. Other than aliens, the only thing I could think of to allow that was Atlantis which I'd read was fabled to have been advanced technologically. It allowed them to be older, which is just kind of sexier in a way. I mean, they've seen and done so much...it's attractive to me.
Lynsay Sands