Miriam
Miriam asked Katie McGarry:

Hi Katie I'm Miriam I really wanted to ask you what inspired you to come up with the ideas to write Pushing the limits? Was it hard to come up with Echo,Noah,and Beth? How did you come up with a story like that it was really creative to have a story where a girl's mom tries to kill her and she can't remembers what happens? I hope you get the chance to answer my question.

Katie McGarry Hi Miriam,

I'm very character driven in my writing. I spend a good deal of time flushing them out before I get into the plot. One of the things I do is free write. I spend time not worrying about "a story" and let the characters play on the page.

I also interview my characters. I came up with Echo's storyline while asking her questions. I asked if she was close to her mother and she told me that she used to be, but that she hadn't seen her in awhile. While answering, Echo pulled down on her sleeves and I realized that she was hiding something on her skin.

By interviewing and free writing, I learn little clues about who my characters are. I then take emotions and experiences from my life and twist them up into my characters. I had a repressed memory after being bitten by a dog when I was younger. I gave that piece of myself to Echo.

I then string the clues I learn along with my experiences and emotions together to create the plot based on characterization.

Thank you,

Katie