Melissa
Melissa asked Katie McGarry:

Where do you get the ideas for the conflicts that you delve into in your books? And how much research do you spend on the conflicts-not the characters or anything else-fleshing them out and making them unbelievably relateable?

Katie McGarry Hi Melissa,

I find my conflicts by first figuring out my characters. Who are they? What do they like? What do they love? What are they afraid of? I basically take their fears and turn it around on them and that's the conflict.

I spend a ton on of time researching the conflicts in my stories. I spent an entire summer at Ohio Valley Dragway researching Crash Into You and spent close to a year in a gym learning kickboxing on a bag for Take Me On. Here's the thing--the conflicts and the characters aren't separate. When you learn one, you learn the other.

I hope this helps,

Katie