Heather
Heather asked Katie McGarry:

Hi Katie! I just want to say that you're one of my favorite authors and I love your novels. My question for you is, how did you get discovered? Since I am a writer myself, it would help a lot. I want to know how my favorite author got started so I know how I can start. Thank you so much! -Heather.

Katie McGarry Hi Heather,

When I first became interested in becoming published, I joined SCBWI and RWA. Through these organizations, I was able to learn about the craft of writing and how to query literary agents.

I also entered several writing competitions. The first few times I did pretty horribly, but I received some valuable feedback and went back to the drawing board. Eventually, I finished Pushing the Limits and entered that into contests. PTL finaled in several contests and eventually won some contests as well. This all gave me confidence to query literary agents.

I hope this helps,

Katie