Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com) asked Katie McGarry:

You write about characters that deal with some heavy and dramatic situations. I think you do an awesome job with making it feel legitimately moving rather than melodramatic. As a writer, is it hard to find the right "emotional" balance?

Katie McGarry Hi Gabrielle,

Thank you for the compliment. It's sort of difficult to explain the process of writing for me. Writing, at least for me, is instinctual. I'll write a scene and something inside me tosses out warning flags if I feel like the story isn't hitting the right emotional beats. Sometimes I get the warning flags as I'm writing. Sometimes I don't get the flags until after I'm rereading what I've written. I've learned to follow that inside voice.

Thank you,

Katie