Amanda Sudo
Amanda Sudo asked E. Lockhart:

How do you come up with the names of your characters? More specifically, I was wondering how you came up with the name Frankie Landau-Banks.

E. Lockhart Some characters just come into my imagination with a name attached and it never changes. Others I name and re-name, looking for the right fit. For Frankie Laundau-Banks, I wanted her to have a gender-neutral or boyish sounding name, and then a hyphenated surname to show two sides of her background. Landau is a surname some people would perceive as Jewish while others would not. I liked that ambiguity given how protestant her school is. Banks is the most conservative-sounding name I could think of -- the name of the father in Mary Poppins.
E. Lockhart