Jeany
Jeany asked:

What do you guys think about the ending? Did you like it or not?

To answer questions about I Am the Messenger, please sign up.
Tom Tobin
Becca I'm shocked by how many people didn't like the ending. The ending MADE the book for me. It was an average story I was kind of on board with then the ending came and made it one my favorite books.
Gail Weinhold I wonder if those that don't like the ending understand it? SPOILER ALERT: Zusak took a huge risk here in that you have to figure out who is sitting on Ed's couch at the end. I am reading some comments that you don't find out who is sending the cards. Then you didn't understand the ending. In my opinion it is brilliant! The question of who was sending the cards was the engine of this book, and the "trick ending" makes me appreciate it even more. I know many of us figure out endings and see story lines coming. It was refreshing and smart to do it the way he did . . . if you get it.
Stacy I thought the ending was a bit of a cop-out. But overall, the beauty of the story moved me to tears repeatedly. I would have preferred the card-sender to have remained a mystery with Ed having received the gift of being able to move on and fully participate in his life.
JRS I liked it well enough...I absolutely loved the book so I expected an amazing ending, but *shrug* One thing I didn't like was that some of the problems were set up by that guy...I didn't like that some of the things were organized for him to fix instead of naturally occurring >.<
Renan Colombini My conclusion is that anyone who didn't like the end really didn't understand it at all.
Ally
Tome Reader
Katie The ending felt a bit rushed to me, I feel when you put us into the story and say how we can make a difference it should be deeper. Some of the surprises at the end were rushed and those should be revealed in a dramatic, powerful way. More emotion would have enhanced the last few pages of this book. In the concluding of this novel, it got me pondering on the message and made me take a look at my life which I believe is the goal of this novel and it is effective in that way. When he reveals he is the message it brings this whole realization on the reader and brings the theme out in a completely new way. The ending doesn’t interfere with the message.
Serena Not particularly. It felt like a cop out.
Leah Nugent
Courtney
Tomislav Mlinac I found the end very disappointing and felt fooled and deceived. If the young man is the author, as usually perceived, than the conclusion is basically 'everything happened the way it happened because I wrote it that way'. I mean, come on! Really?!? If the young man is some personification of God, pretty much the same thing. Nevertheless, I think that Zusak annihilated his own premise and message of the novel. If everything in the book happened because it was written that way (young man said that he already knows the question and the answer because it is written in the papers he gave to Ed) than Ed's choices were not choices. They were simply actions assigned by the author, like to a machine. And the young man said that he wanted to send a message that if someone like Ed can change then everyone else can change as well. But if everything was written, or let's say assigned, than he didn't change by his own choices, and the whole concept goes down.
Teresa A. I simply don't understand the ending.
Zubeda Nuur
Anne Seebach I really enjoyed the whole book. I didn't mind the ending - but I did query whether it was really necessary. I thought the rest of the story spoke for itself and didn't really need further explanation in order to understand 'the message'. I wonder whether it would have been a better novel without the last two chapters, but we can't unread them, so we'll never know I guess.
Jennifer Yes. It's meant to make us think. Look at ourselves. We don't need to know who was on the couch. That's what drives the book - who sent the cards - but in the end we realize that's not the important part of the story. It's not what we should take-away from this reading. Wow.

Besides, it's nice not to be able to predict the ending for once.
Ether Amazing, specially the last sentence
It makes me think more about my life
Sergey
Hannah I actually was kind of heartbroken at the ending. I like reading books that have sequels,You know more plot and characters. But with this I felt as if there was something missing in the end.
Patrick
Angus
Dess
Kendall Overall it was pretty good, but I think it was amazing in the beginning but got a bit less interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending yet. *THE NEXT SENTENCE IS SORT OF A SPOILER* I thought we would know the person sending the messages. *YOU CAN LOOK NOW* But again I guess overall it was pretty good.
Amber I ADORED this book up until the end, which I thought was lame and stupid, I think having it all be an existential thing is stupid, I think the message could have been gotten across in a different way, it kind of smacks of pride by the author frankly. I agree with another comment I think it would be better if it was his dad wanting him to live a more meaningful life, or just someone or some organization that goes about secretly helping people and making the world a better place. There could easily have been a second book if it was the latter suggestion, but whatevs. Sad that this was going to make it into my list of very favorite books until that stupid ending.
Megan Sullivan I loved every second of it. The last or second to last paragraph is burned into my soul
Victoria Loved the book until the ending. Felt like I was dropped off a building with a soft thud.
Lucinda Vinoski An imaginative book of taking one's eyes off of oneself and focusing on others. The ending was unexpected and kept me guessing until the end.
Jenny Kovachy I just finished the book! It was a very good book but the ending to me sort of didn't work. I understand it but it wasn't this existential thing like some people said in the reviews. One thing I have gathered through many years being a literate person :) is that people read how they feel. What I mean by that is your feelings reflect on each page of a book. This ending can mean so much to so many cause something in their life is attached to it. This wasn't the case for me, which bums me out!
HaveSomeShawarma I find that the ending retains its worth if you imagine that Ed has just lost all association with reality once he received the Joker Card.
Fahmi Masda I think the ending doesn't live up to my expectation. We know it's an average story, it's why Ed and who's behind all that, that pushes me to get through it. Though the ending was a complete twist, I dont think Ed finally had enough answers afterall. And it upsets me to know that the message and everything is all set.
Jeanette Grant-Thomson SPOILER : The bit with Zusak in it? - I found it clever but I prefer reading books that allow me to enter the world of the characters and believe in it. I thought MZ redeemed it by the bit with Audrey saying it was their thing now.
Guillermo I liked it but I'm not sure I fully understand it. I'm thinking that was Zusak wanted. He broke the 4th wall but at the same time, he didn't. There as literal reading of the ending, and then there are these other possibilities.
Steph I liked the ending, however much I'm still confused. I mean i get it, but I don't get it. If you know what I mean. It was a very interesting ending. (Also, a note to not finish this book in the early hours of the morning because it'll keep you awake wondering). It's a worthwhile read.
Shredni I thought the ending was awesome! However, it's not a great if you like solid endings. In the end you find out how was sending the cards, but there are still some unanswered questions.
I happen to like those kind of endings so I loved this book!
Mossamer
Image for I Am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak (Goodreads Author)