Chad Post
Chad Post asked Jeff VanderMeer:

Annihilation and Authority bring to mind a few Stanislaw Lem books (Solaris and His Master's Voice in particular) along with the Strugatsky brothers (Roadside Picnic)--do you view Lem & Strugatsky as influences on your work? Which other works by these authors, or works by other fantastic world authors would you recommend to bide the time until Acceptance finally comes out?

Jeff VanderMeer Lem and Strugatsky have had zero influence on my work, for better or worse. They aren't authors who really resonate with me, but I haven't read that much of their work. To be honest, I haven't even read Roadside Picnic--I read the first chapter in a bookstore once. But I do plan to catch up on Lem soon. I'm not really sure what to answer re what to read....most of what I've loved recently hasn't been fantastical. Smith Henderson's Fourth of July Creek is spectacular and so is anything by Evie Wyld.