Suyi Davies Okungbowa
Suyi Davies Okungbowa asked Jeff VanderMeer:

Jeff, I noticed a lot of plant biology recurrent in Southern Reach, presented in a lot of sweetly disturbing ways. Was it a product of really extensive research (and if it was, what rigors did you go through to attain such knowledge?) or do you have some sort of background in plant biology?

Jeff VanderMeer That's a good question. To be honest, I already knew some things and then also did a little bit of research. In addition, a good friend is a plant microbiologist. I was very pleased to get an email from a botanist recently in which she said: "It's a bit strange because this is the first series I've ever started reading that I comprehended as being scientifically and theoretically possible. You are an extremely talented writer. I am a botanist and your work speaks to me on levels that nothing else ever has." And yet I wouldn't say I've done *a lot* of research.